Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 49-50 Mercury Question; Rear Window Stainless trim install

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Krahnic, Aug 13, 2015.

1. Krahnic

Krahnic

Any tips on installing the rear window stainless trim on my 49 Mercury? Window is installed after chop with new rubber and sitting nicely. One thread on here says he likes to put the trim on first, then install the window. There may be a special tool, no longer available, to install these. Possibly done with strings. Do I need to remove the window to install this right? It was very hard for my experienced glass guy & I to get it in. Thanks in advance for any advice. DSCF0428.JPG

2. Do you have the correct rubber? Spare me boy's! No special tool required....Spare me boy's!! Someone please explain in simpler language......Geeze! I know where this will go,so stop it already~!

3. cretin

cretin

I also put the trim on first, and put the rubber on the glass, then use a piece of rope to install it.

Krahnic likes this.
  4. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^^what cretin says. get a shop manual!

Krahnic likes this.

5. Krahnic

Krahnic

The rubber is correct & sits nicely. The trim looks like it will fit fine. Maybe I have to take it back out & do it over with trim in first.

6. b-bob

b-bob

trim is supposed to go in first then installed in the car. Lots of slippery soap or hand cleaner will make the job easier.

Krahnic and rodncustomdreams like this.
  7. Krahnic

Krahnic

Thanks everyone for your replies. I'm going to help my glass guy remove it and do it over. Wondering if I will need to cut the seal out & buy another new one so as to not risk breaking the original rear window.

8. hot4mercs

hot4mercs
    from Iowa

You can reuse the rubber and earlier reply on hand cleaner for lube does help and is not bad for the rubber.
    I used plastic glass stick tools to pry with screwdrivers will scratch trim and cut the rubber. Rope it in with cord.
    I can`t believe how nice the parts are that you are finding I have been looking for a grille surround for a coupe of years. Not much left here in Iowa. I pulled a 50 Merc out of the yard back of my garage last week I put it there 30 years ago it got rusty but it is a Merc. coupe.
    Good Luck
    Allan

9. jkluge

jkluge

I just did mine a few months ago, IT SUCKS! I dont think the trim is supposed to go in first, I think that would make life harder.

Park the car out in the sun so the rubber is nice and warm, get yourself a spray bottle of lightly soapy water, and a couple of smooth picks, I found a pick with a 90 degree angle to be the best.
    Then just lay each half on the top so you can see where they line up best, and just get one end started and use your soapy water and your pick and you can slide the rubber lip into the groove of the trim.

I sucks to do and takes time, but be patient and it will work out just fine.

10. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

image.jpg K-D # 2037 tools have a nice tool for liping in glass it's a curved looking pick with a ball about the size of a BB on the end so you don't tear the rubber or scratch the glass.

11. Squablow

Squablow

Trim on a same-year Chevy has to go in the rubber first but I don't think the Merc rubber is made the same way, you can take the trim off of the Merc gasket without cutting it out, I think it's more like JKluge said, you just need some pick tools and patience.

12. TinWolf

TinWolf
    from Sweden

Remove the window , put the stainless trim in the rubber and reinstall the window with sealant ! The stainless trim is there to support the rubber , if the window is already installed you have to fight the rubber possibly damaging the trim and paint .
    To remove the window you push with some round stick wrapped with a rag on the inner rubber lip to carefully make it lay on the outside of the sheetmetal edge , if you start top center and work your way towards the sides , when you come half way down on both sides it should be possible to lift it out . putting it in put two ropes of maybe 1/8" diameter , one on each side from bottom to top center making them cross both in the bottom and in the top , tape the ends so they stay until the window is in place , then set the window on the bottom edge , one or two guy on the outside holding it towards the car , one guy on the inside pulling the two ropes from the bottom lifting the rubber lip over the sheetmetal edge on about equal side to side all the way to the top ! Im no glass guy but that's how Ive done acouple and my buddy that is a glassguy have shown me !
    Wolf