Register now to get rid of these ads!

Dodge and desoto hemi question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by speedysilver, Aug 26, 2015.

1. speedysilver

speedysilver

I am looking a buying a cast aluminum intake for my 270 dodge super red ram hemi. The in take is for a desoto how close are these to being interchangeable???

Thanks
    Mike

2. town sedan

town sedan

Not much interchanges between the 3 lines of early Hemi engines. Don't think you will have much luck bolting a Desoto intake to a Dodge. -Dave

3. Reds 29

Reds 29

They don't interchange, but there are lots of intakes available for the 241-270 Dodge. Check with Hot Hemi Heads and Lakeheaders.com for some possibilities.

4. speedysilver

speedysilver

Does anyone know actually how different the are I can order a raw casting and machine them myself but if they are not even close I'm not going to even try

5. Why would you think they are even "Close"? those are two different size motors..

270dodge likes this.
  6. town sedan

town sedan

Vintage Speed makes a 4~2bbl intake for the low deck Desoto 276~291 hemi engines. It can be machined to fit the tall deck Dodge 315~325 hemi engines. Your 270 Dodge is a low deck block. Don't see how you could make a low deck Desoto intake work on a low deck Dodge. -Dave

7. Got a picture of the aluminum intake? Who made it?

8. speedysilver

speedysilver

9. saltflatmatt

saltflatmatt
    Alliance Vendor

Charlie has not had any 4x2 intakes for low deck desoto's for a year now, I've tried to buy on for a long time and just decided to cast this 6x2... The red ram and desoto intake port spacing/pattern is very close. I heard of a few guys drilling desoto stuff for red ram engines. The original weiand 4x2 desoto had extra boss's to be drilled for red rams and the vintage speed also has boss's for red rams, charlies always said he'd drill for red ram by request.

Dog_Patch likes this.
  10. 73RR

73RR

With a manifold of this type the big issue is port spacing and for that the manifold might work if you have enough meat to match the 241.
    Now the question is of the bolts....Maybe you have space or, maybe not.....
    Why not lay a 241 gasket against on the manifold and see what the differences are for this 'raw' casting?

11. saltflatmatt

saltflatmatt
    Alliance Vendor

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1440693958.053271.jpg

Red Ram and DeSoto on top of each other. The way the log manifold is made I think it's possible.

12. The only thing that is a direct swap between the Dodge Hemi and the Desoto Hemi is the intake rockers.

13. town sedan

town sedan

My apologies for wasting every ones time. I should have ask what type of intake you where thinking about. Log intakes are pretty simple. You could probably make one out of tubing and flanges for less than buying the castings and making them work. -Dave

14. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

The bellhousing and timing cover.

15. 73RR

73RR

NOT the timing cover. The DeSoto uses a cast 'chain-case' cover and water pump housing combo.
    The tin cover from the Dodge can be used on a post-55 Chrysler but the timing marks are different.

16. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Please make it stop.:eek: