Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical oldsmobile-what do you guys think?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 61oldsbubbletop, Aug 26, 2015.

1. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

I have a 350/350 in mine, I was actually thinking of buying your car a number of years ago when it was up for sale. I don't care what people think about the bowtie. It handles way better now that its 200lbs+ lighter up front and the th350 shifts normally not like that piece of crap slim jim.
    IMG_6838.JPG IMG_6839.JPG

2. H.R.charlie

H.R.charlie

image.jpg Welcome, I would put the 394 back in it and keep the 700r connect it to a wilcap adapter. I have a slim-Jim in mine and although it runs and shifts fine I'm not that confident in the reliability of it. image.jpg

belair likes this.
  3. I've still got a year to go, until I can be a geezer. :eek:
    Your profile is confusing, how about some pics, cause some of us relate better visually.

4. thanks for t
    yes i am a kid but i am not exagurating that 46 merc is a460 bored .030 over with .500" custom domed pistons with the original 1970 cast iron head witch had 64cc combustion chambers trust me the thing is a rocket ship

5. Heres the car it looks a little effey with a part of the hood sandblasted but where painting it 1970 plum crazy with a chrysler gun metal grey roof and posts with full airsuspension

6. Thanks man a yeah i've been told those things build tourque right off of idle thanks for the reply :)

Attached Files:

7. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

I had one of these old 394 Olds engines and it would not drink anything but high test. Ran like crazy, sounded good, but using it as a daily driver, just cost to much to run. In the case of a daily driver, where you are putting in over 50 miles per day, just getting to work and back, a small block Chevy would be the way to go. I would rather be able to afford to drive my car everyday and afford it, rather than paying high gas prices and letting the vehicle sit in the garage. If it is a Chevy, just leave it that way. Remember function over form.

8. You are correct I went back to my books and notes to be sure and the Olds Starfire was 10.5 and the Skyrocket was 10:1. According to what I have written down they did build a 9:1, 2 bbl engine as well and it made over 400 pound feet of torque in '63.

Something that bothers me about all this is that because you brought that up I had to dog out a very old book and the pages are brown and brittle, not and olds book I am talking about here my old note book, as in 3 ring binder note book. Do you know how long it takes paper to get all brown and brittle?

Thanks a lot aerorocket. :p :D :D :D

The deal with a stock olds and lowish HP numbers is that they were not a revver and HP comes from revving or that is part of the equation. Torque is what is measured and it is what you really feel in the seat, I like torque especially when it comes in buckets.

Anyway back on track, young man that is a perfect body to build on, you can go low and slow or street brawler with that one and be happy the whole time you're doing it. I wouldn't sweat the primer mustache at all its a minor imperfection and gives the little olds character. Hell my upper lip has looked like that more then once. :D

Tony Martino likes this.
  9. R Pope

R Pope

Better recheck the gas mileage.......

10. thanks! but where actually starting to restore it where painting the body 1970 dodge plum crazy purple becauses the darkest shade of plum crazy from what im told the roof and pillars are gonna be painted chrysler gunmetal grey with a off-white/creame inetrior with gunmetal grey piping and the car is LOW to the ground theres 3" of clearence between body to floor and ther 60 psi/100 psi in the rear airbags!!!!!

11. for a reference to what the car is gonna look like reserch on google: 1961 oldsmobile yahoo car and go on images :)