Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Custom Build '37 Ford leaks gas

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Winged Avenger II, Aug 26, 2015.

1. I never fill the car all the way full, but I did this time til the pump clicked off and wasn't thinking and gave it another short shot of gas. Going to fill up, no gas smell in car-driving back, smelled like hell. Sat over night and garage reeked like hell. Lateral support bar under filler neck area(drivers side) wet, as well as gas tank side towards front of car by fuel line, though area around line dry. Car has CAPLESS neck, no regular type gas cap, just a flap that closes when nozzle pulled out(it closes completely). Is it just overflow leaking out(gas didn't bubble over- out top when filling)? No apparent holes in tank. One exhaust right under area where leaking, so not going to start it up until prob solved. Bad back doesn't let me really get under there. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanx.

2. alchemy

alchemy

No other way to know except getting under there.

I've never heard of a "capless" filler neck. Is that some new-fangled thing? I can't see how it would be a very positive seal, and might seep if sloshed against.

3. TonyVan

TonyVan
    from Vancouver

My daily has a capless filler neck. It's spring-loaded and is a positive seal, but I wouldn't trust it if gas was right up against it.
    Sounds as if the neck was full and then it's seeped out there and dripped down.

4. is there a separate vent on the tank it could be coming out of?

5. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I've had plenty of times found gas coming out the neck of my 37 when the weather was damn hot and I overfilled it to the top. Even ruined paint one time. Never fill it that high. Just a guess but that may be the issue. Get under there and check it out.

6. Thanx-will get a buddy of mine to get under it when he can-my back is shot.

***Capless filler neck is similar to something like Nascar, shoot the gas in, yank out filler tube and good to go(there's a flap in there that snaps shu)t.

7. check the sending unit gasket, i just had one swell up from a reaction with the alcohol fuel blends they sell.