Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Auto racing 1894-1942

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kurtis, Jul 18, 2009.

1. jonto

jonto
    from UK

This may be one of the 1913 4 1/2ltr GP cars which also took records at Brooklands with a single seater body-

2. jonto

jonto
    from UK

1914 4 1-2 indy.jpg One of the 1913 GP cars was entered for Indianapolis 1914-

"Despite its relatively smaller cubic capacity (than the Indy formula), the Sunbeam company entered one of the 1913 GP 6 cylinder cars for the 1914 Indianapolis race. It was fitted with the engine from the 12 hour record single seater. Twin Claudel Hodson carburetters were fitted and efforts were made to minimise weight. A special gearbox with only two speeds was made and a 3to 1 axle ratio was used in place of the 2.5 to 1 used in the GP. To improve engine cooling twin water outlet manifolds were provided on the cylinder head, dry sump lubrication was used with an oil tank mounted transversely behind the bolster petrol tank". (A S Heal).

3. jonto

jonto
    from UK

I've heard mention of an Indy Sunbeam in America before, be nice to know which car it was and if it's still around.

4. The37Kid

The37Kid

^^^^^^^^^ I'll dig through my stuff and see what may turn up. Bob

5. saacha

saacha
    from cloud 9

Is there not the Sunbeam at Indianapolis Museum ex Macoco Alzaga ? Please forgive if I make a mistake, I belive it it is an ex 1913(hope I got the year right) Indianapolis car.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2015
  6. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

Robert Hooper artwork... dlAttach.jpg

chriseakin, 63fdsnr and Jet96 like this.
  7. LeeStohr

LeeStohr
    from Washington

Any ideas what that is? I have an interest in counter rotating dual crank engines, neat stuff.

8. LeeStohr

LeeStohr
    from Washington

Here is an interesting V Twin engine, 1910 era, New York City probably, no identification, in the NAHC, Detroit Library.
    It looks like a normal 4 stroke? except for the odd intake system.

unidentified engine NAHC 36789.jpg unidentified engine NAHC 36788.jpg

9. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

During the depression my great uncle owned a place on the North Fork of the Feather River between Quincy and Oroville CA. In '59 he, my dad,and I worked a gold claim near there and I was introduced to many of their old friends. One was a blacksmith/machinist who showed me a V8 he had built using two model A blocks, a cast connecting crankcase, and a custom crank. How long were those rods? It was laying in a pile of junk behind the shop probably a testament to it's success. I wish I had taken pictures but it wasn't as easy then.

10. ehdubya

ehdubya

11. Kume

Kume

12. LeeStohr

LeeStohr
    from Washington

13. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

14. ebtm3

ebtm3

Why does the mag run at 2X crank speed?
    ''curiouser and curiouser''

Herb

15. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Maybe it was an early emissions thing firing on the exhaust stroke to burn unused fuel in the exhaust gasses. There were complaints about those stinky old gasoline engines even then.:confused:

16. LeeStohr

LeeStohr
    from Washington

A V-Twin would have been a pretty small aviation engine by 1910. The builder was proud of his engine's light weight -

unidentified engine NAHC 36787.jpg

cactus1 and ebtm3 like this.
  17. ehdubya

ehdubya

A v-twin prototype for a multi cylinder V seems plausible. I note pioneer Oakland aviator Feng Ru is said to have used a Hall motor, some sources saying he had design input and others claiming he was wholly responsible for the engine design. It's not clear what powered his first plane which flew in sept 1909 but photos of the second clearly show a V8.

18. LeeStohr

LeeStohr
    from Washington

It almost looks like there are 2 exhaust valves per cylinder. You can just make out a priming cup on each intake 'thing' at each cylinder head.

19. jonto

jonto
    from UK

14 7 15.JPG

"The cream of British sportscars"..... (W. Boddy).

20. jonto

jonto
    from UK

Alvis racing car No 1 IMG_0816.JPG

21. jonto

jonto
    from UK

22. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

This is crossposted from a thread I started on the subject, but I didn't think about this thread until afterward.

[​IMG]

Found a (different) picture of this car in Karl Ludvigsen’s Indy Cars 1911-1939: Great Racers from the Crucible of Speed and the above photo via the AHRF:
    Location 1 Location 2.

Unfortunately, both resources are a little light on detail. All I know is that it was owned by wealthy playboy sportsman Joel Thorne and was driven by Russell Snowberger who crashed it during qualifying in 1936; and that it was Dodge powered. In the Ludvigsen book, it appears to have a Dodge tube axle up front, and you can see from the fairings that it probably has parallel leaf springs as well.

Any further information on this car would be appreciated. Especially regarding the engine and drivetrain, and the brakes. This was clearly an effort with some money behind it, so hopefully it’s documented somewhere.

Thanks in advance!

23. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

One of a pair of cars built in 1936, none of them competitive. They replaced the Dodge lumps with Miller engines, and the cars qualified 1-3 at Syracuse later that year.

24. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Can you tell me what the other car was? And maybe some more about the Dodge engines? I assume we're not talking stockers with iron heads and single carburetors, even if they were lumps by comparison to the Millers.

25. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

The other car was identical, and did not qualify either. I don't have much on the engine, in fact only that it was a 6-cylinder stock engine, probably hot-rodded some. I don't even know its displacement.

26. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

A bit of further sleuthing reveals that it had three carburettors, and a capacity of 217 cubic inches.

Bigcheese327 likes this.
  27. guffey

guffey

Elgin Piston Pin Miller photos elgin piston pin bbb (2).png

Bigcheese327 likes this.
  28. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Thanks. Stock Dodges were 217.8-cu.in. in those years, so they didn't mess with the bore or stroke. Sounds like a pretty basic hop up. No surprise they didn't fare super well.

If you ever come across a photo of one of the engines, I'd be highly interested to see it.

29. Kume

Kume

Does anyone have additional info on the 1904 Gordon Bennett Wolseley - photos, technical info, thread link?. I did a quick thread search but I cant seem to view pictures from old posts for some reason. Driven unsuccessfully by Charles Jarrott and others. I think a replica build is in order. Nice to see a good photo of his poor suffering mechanicien
    1904-gordon-bennett-wolseley-beetle.jpg pg-0363-4.jpg Wolsoleybeetle96hp1904.jpg

Last edited: Oct 26, 2015
    motoklas and 63fdsnr like this.
  30. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

63fdsnr likes this.