Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Jerry Gaskill Santa Maria, Ca.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM, Aug 11, 2015.

1. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

A fine gentleman and rodder has passed. Jerry Gaskill was well known in the Central Coast of Ca. and will be missed by all. Jerry opened the third drag strip in the nation in Santa Maria at an abandoned airport, he also operated an auto parts store, he was a rep for Monroe Shocks, formed the Dragons car club, was president of the Bent Axles car club and was a friend to all.

Stogy likes this.
  2. Kiwi Tinbender

Kiwi Tinbender

And his Black `36 3W was one of the best I`ve ever seen.....

Drive on, Jerry.......

Stogy likes this.

3. Jerry Gaskill.jpg
    Gerald "Jerry" Leslie Gaskill
    September 2, 1930 - August 11, 2015

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
    Stogy likes this.
  4. I first met Jerry in the '70s ... at Rod Runs in Northern & Central California.

Jerry was a wonderfully polite, friendly, & classy gentleman ... and listening to his stories of the early days of drag racing, I realized that I was in the presence of one of the pioneers of our hobby.

Here's some historical pics (with captions) from the book "Hot Rodding in Santa Barbara County" by Tony Baker:

Santa Maria Dragstrip tower.JPG

Jerry Gaskill.JPG

Jerry\'s view from tower.JPG

Gaskill\'s first Hot Rod.JPG

Dale Latham Deuce.JPG

Barris built Chevys.JPG

SLO dragstrip.JPG

Jack Mendenhall Coupe.JPG

Gaskill vs. Nancy @ SLO dragstrip.JPG

Jack & Jerry\'s push truck.JPG

Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
    Stogy likes this.

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Wow - Thanks for all of the info - sincere sympathy goes out to his Family, friends and fans

6. I'm so sad to hear this. I've known Jerry for a long time. I always looked forward to seeing him and hearing his latest jokes.
    Just a great guy!

Mick

Stogy likes this.
  7. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just heard about Jerry today, sure gonna' miss all his emails!
    His 36 3WD is a knockout, & his Olds is too!
    Condolences to Charlotte & family.-----Don Jerry Gaskill.jpg

Stogy likes this.
  8. I 1st met Jerry through a friend of mine Wayne Bolon at an event in Bakersfield (I think).....he introduced himself and then pulled out his wallet & showed me the "ring shape" in the leather.....he winked & said....I'm always ready for the ladies...He had a metal O-ring in there which he told me he had parked his car on for a few weeks to "wear it in" and then it looked just like a condom.

That was my 1st meeting with him....

Jerry was always smiling, telling terrible jokes & talking about the old days, ans man...that '36 Ford was (and still is) stunning.

Godspeed my friend, Rest in peace.

9. Cruiser

Cruiser

I'm deeply sadden that Jerry is gone, Jerry was my friend and I'll miss him dearly. Jerry was always ready with a new joke and a fun guy to be around. I'll miss his email jokes always too. I meet Jerry about thirty years back when cruising with Carl Potter in Santa Barbara, CA
    "My two favorite colors are black and chrome" Jerry. Jerry always had black customs in the later years, cars like his period correct '36 Ford 3/W and his '50 Oldsmobile 98 two very fine cars.

Bye for now Jerry

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM and Stogy like this.
  10. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

Jerry’s services will be on the 24th at the Elks Club in S.M. at 10:00.

11. Cruiser

Cruiser

Jerry's celebration of life went off well, lots of funny stories, just a great day to remember a great guy.

CRUISER

12. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

Over 300 people there, even spotted Sam Foose. Many representatives of clubs present along with friends and loved ones. Very nice service put on by the Elks Lodge in S.M.. Jerry’s cars were in front of the entrance for all to see, he kept them pristine. I am sure if God has a drag strip Jerry will be there racing. A true gentleman and It was an honor to have known him.

Stogy and HEMI32 like this.
  13. tofords

tofords

I just purchased the Gaskill coupe from Charlotte. Paint by Sam Foose in 1975 still looks killer. The car is now in Thousand Oaks,Ca. Frank IMG_6945.jpg IMG_6799.jpg IMG_6900.jpg IMG_6936.jpg IMG_6938.jpg IMG_6941.jpg IMG_6942.jpg

14. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Holy Smokes, what a beautiful car. And provenance! A bit late to say RIP, I guess, but RIP Jerry.