Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Pete Eastwood built 29' roadster

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Barillaro Speed Emporium, May 30, 2014.

1. Been doing nothing but wet sanding this week. Plan on painting the body this weekend if all goes as planned. Special Thanks to Ed "the Mutt" Gromer for his help today!

Attached Files:

dana barlow likes this.
  2. Got the body, doors, and cowl top painted this weekend.

Attached Files:

D-Russ, dana barlow, draider and 3 others like this.
  3. Whoah ! I feel like it's the first black '29 roadster ever !! Only because they are usually not painted such a sweet ass tone of blackity-black anyway. Every other color seemingly ... but evil luscious onyx baby. I'm excited ! F#cking A man.

4. Thanks man, this is same color as the 1932 Edsel Ford Speedster. When we did the restoration on that car I always thought it would be an awesome color on a hot rod. I can't wait to see how it looks on the shiny Black chassis. Everyone has been busting my balls for not painting the chassis body color. I like the contrast of the black frame, has more of an original look to me.

StrickV8 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  5. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Personally, I wouldn't give a shit what anyone might say about my owning "Pete's old car". It was/is/will always be one sweet ride. Being slightly slickheaded at 68, I would get a blonde wig to wear when I drove it to California. No, really ! I met P-Wood many years ago here in San Antonio when he and Gray Baskerville (oh, yeah) picked up an engine from Gordon Leland. I was like a kid in a candy store driving up in my primered '34 2-DR with lime-green steelies. We Texas hotrodders were actually talking to the P-Wood and that crazy Gray. Good memories for this old fart. Again, I would feel privileged to own a ride created by Pete, AND tell any swinging dick who would listen who built it.

6. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Your last photo is THE angle when taking shots of a highboy roadster. It always enhances the big/little tire effect.

7. Thank you for the correction. Jumped the gun on the color. The Edsel Speedster is a gorgeous car, that I didn't realize you were a part of. It looks incredible. It's a dark grey-ish green then ? Sure it was custom mixed in the day. Guess the name could now be Edsel Barillaro Green. Good show man. One of my favorite reads, is following your efforts. Thanks again. Still excited !!

8. No problem, the color is an original 1932 ford color called Tunis grey. It's a very dark grey with almost a brown cast. It's a solid color and when the ppg guy mixed it he told me it's mostly made of Black tint. We did all of the metal restoration/fabrication on the Edsel 32' speedster and my brother painted the car in the same garage I am doing my roadster. I'm not sure if the Edsel 34' speedster is the same grey as the 32' but it looks very similar.

9. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

DDDenny, you are right about the sound of "327". It just "feels right"

10. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I still have mine, but FORTUNATELY, it no longer fits !

11. Tn. Trash

Tn. Trash

Great looking color, in my mind it looks good with the black frame.

12. The37Kid

The37Kid

Paint looks great! I didn't know you guys did the Edsel Speedster, haven't seen it up close only in magazines. I did do a walk around when a friend found it three owners ago. We knew is was something special but the true history wasn't known at that time. Bob

13. draider

draider
    from Texas

I've thought the same thing since the restored Speedster was revealed. Can't wait to see some pics of this roadster assembled and out in the sun. Great work.

14. Took a break from bodywork/paint tonight. I took the 327 apart a couple weeks ago and sent the crank to be polished. This engine appears to have been balanced and not run much at all. It's a 1963 vintage 327 with a O97 camshaft and fuelie heads. The entire engine is standard. Never bored and the crank has never been cut. I plan to clean it up and use the original forged pop up pistons. I almost wish I never took it apart but the guy I got it from said he took it put of a 34' sedan project car 20 plus years ago. This engine will be perfect for the roadster.

Attached Files:

15. I know it's not yellow but I hope Vince is up there looking down in excitement knowing his funky hood sides and hood will be going back in use!

Attached Files:

Tn. Trash and philly the greek like this.
  16. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

Not a doubt in my mind that Vince would approve , and that hood never looked better . Very nice , I'm looking forward to the finished product .

17. tnich123

tnich123

18. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

I am excited just to see it painted! Quality takes time and time is a thief!

19. Been getting some little details buttoned up on the chassis. Waiting for the machine shop to finish the valve job on the heads and hone the block. Hopefully should be able to poor the steam to this car after the Race of Gentlemen.

20. The 327 long block is all assembled and the chassis is ready for a bullet. Waiting on a few odds and ends and should be able to get the engine bolted in this week.....

Attached Files:

D-Russ, Malcolm and Tn. Trash like this.
  21. 1 step closer

Attached Files:

D-Russ likes this.
  22. verde742

verde742

You are all correct: 327 sounds so RIGHT !!!
    When I get questioned about whose car it used to be: One of my standard answers is Henry Ford owned it a long time ago. And My All Time favorite, What year is it? I answer, 1950,
    Ford only made them one year !!!!! And always hear : REALLY ? I say YEP !!!

23. Finally bolting parts up for good on the engine and chassis. I plan to fire the engine and break it in without the body on.

Attached Files:

24. walter

walter

Looking great Love the BLACK

25. Thanks, I was gonna paint the scattershield black but there is something nostalgic to me of a bright red scattershield and all those bolts underneath!

Tn. Trash and Anderson like this.
  26. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Looks great! I like the red bell housing as it adds some color to the chassis.

27. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I had planned on having mine sandblasted and powdercoated black, but I think you guys just talked me out of it.

28. I generally like things to be kind of subdued but the splash of red does make me smile. I love looking at a rolling 32' chassis but I am very ready to put the body back on. The anticipation is starting to get to me!

29. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Same here, really stood out down there in the dark after putting the body on.
    Keep those photos coming.

30. Still chipping away on the roadster. Finished painting most of the parts with the exception of the dash rail, headlight buckets, and the gas tank. Been wet sanding most of the afternoon. Finally starting buffing tonight.

Attached Files: