Register now to get rid of these ads!

F-1 brake conversion, 40 spindles

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dirtyest Devil, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Who's done it? Any pics?

I was going to machine down a spacer and try and make some stuff work, but I hear there is a conversion kit from Speedway??? Also heard you need to turn down the inner bearing shoulder? Wondering if any of you guys could shed some light, maybe Mr. Lancaster? Heard there is an article in an old Rodders Digest?

2. henrys_way

henrys_way
    from Maine

You want to use f1 brakes with 40 spindles?

If so they do it in the Bishop/Tardel Book.....

"...the truck brakes fit Ford Passanger car spindles with only a slight bit of whittling required at the top of the spindle flange to clear the wheel cylinder. The rears wont fit without substantial modification of the backing plates, however, but the ford rear brakes and bedix fronts work well together..."

3. Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 31, 2009
  4. I've done this conversion on my 32 in the avatar. Outer bearing is the same as the 40 Ford (and whatever other years match the 40).

If you use the internals from a 66 Ford truck, you will have a self energizing system as well.

5. Andy

Andy

The conversion requires new inner cones and grease seals. The outer bearings are the same. Use the F-1 inner cups. It takes a while to grind the radius on the bearing. If the old parts look good, just use them. I bought new inner cones for safety sake and they were cheep. All came from NAPA. Everything fits 46-48 spindles no change. I do hear a slight clearance is required for the 40 spindles.

6. https://www.speedwaymotors.com/images/pdf/916-31934.pdf

If this link doesn't work for you, there is a PDF link/instructions on the Speedway Motors link I posted before.

Speedway Motors charges more for there kit and can't get to my house quick enough. I'd like to get my car fixed to get tothe Radir Wheels party, hahaaa. So I was able to get all the part numbers from Speedway... Thank you! Piracy at it's finest!

Part numbers you'll need:

Outer cone: 912T09067 Outer cup: 912T09195

Inner cone: 912T14116 Inner cup: 912T14276

Seals: 912515214 Good luck!

7. Yup, I got the 40 spindles... Easy fix though. Thanks all, hope we helped others as well!

8. Andy

Andy

9. More good info, excellent!

Let me lead you in the right direction this time if I may. I just returned from Trans Bearing, my parts cost me 106.00, and it came with two less bearings then Speedway, as I had them already. Speedway was 50 dollars with everything, shipping included. I just couldn't wait. So much for piracy, it dont pay. Today...anyway. Ha!

10. banjorear

banjorear

Wait, can I confirm what you are doing? You are using the entire F-1 brake set-up and not just the backing plate right? Aren't F-1's 11" and the older Ford 12"?

I saved a set of F-1 fronts for this exact swap but one of the drums was shot.

Not to hi-jack DD but, does anyone know if they are making a quality F-1 brake drum?

11. I think you meant that the later brakes are self adjusting, where-as the F-1 brakes were already the self energizing Bendix brakes. Hope this helps.

12. Yes, F1s are smaller. We took a set apart this weekend. May have a spare drum if my brother wants to use the 12" parts that I have.

13. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

I have 49 F-1 pickup brakes ( backing plates, hubs, shoes, etc) on my 40's round back passenger car spindles with the speedway adapter kit on my roadster. Everything works great and you can't beat the price..as you found out. You'll have to grind the inside of the inner bearings to fit the taper of the bottom of the spindle shafts. The only problem is that the pickup backing plates, drums, etc are smaller then stock passenger car juice brakes so you can't run the Buick drums. I didn't want to run em so it wasnt a big deal for me. You can also get all the brake parts for the F-1's from autozone very cheap. I think they even have drums too.

14. banjorear

banjorear

Really? I'll need to check that out.

15. Dan1955

Dan1955

O'Reillys, Napa, and Auto Zone around here (ne okla) could not get the 48-52 F1 brake drums. You can get them after market from places like Sacramento Ford. They will run you about $100.00 apiece.

16. yekoms

yekoms

Like Dan said about new F1 drums "they will run you about $100.oo a piece"I got mine from Chucks Trucks in New York I think that Mac's has them too.
    The difference between 48-52 F1 and 53 -? F100 is that the F1 hub is wider than the later F100. So the F1 drum has a kind of cone look to it. The backing plates and interals are the same as F100's both are 11"x2". The F1 gives you a little wider stance hub to hub.
    Smokey

17. Ruiner

Ruiner

Are you guys using the F100 kit from Speedway to install F1 brakes and hubs on 1940 car spindles?...I can't find a straight answer about that, it seems like everyone keeps getting info mixed up or switches topics mid discussion...

18. yes....that Speedway kit will adapt `48-`52 Ford F1 and `53-`56 F100 hubs to `37-`48 ford spindles

19. Ruiner

Ruiner

Their advertisement of that kit is horrible...hahaha...

20. I'm looking at getting 53 to 56 f100 hubs just so I can get affordable brake drums.
    Can then get cheap finned eBay brake drums to work with my F1 backing plates that way.
    If I was to be a really cheap-aaaa I could use late F100 rear drums designed for 2 1/2 brake shoes on the front. (1/2 of drum will not engage the shoes but will work)
    Many threads here on F1/F100 brake swaps.
    Still trying to find a way to run late F100 axles with early narrow backing plates.

21. Pete

Pete

I have pics, I've done about 5 of this conversions, super easy..

22. This was posted in 2003 by Deuce Roadster,seems with one of the updates the photo's were lost but the information should be helpful as ever. HRP

I use 1953 to 1956 F100 hubs, backing plates and drums. They have the advantage of self-energize......or they help apply themselves. They are 11 inches in diameter and 2 inches wide ( so early finned Buick aluminum drums...will not work they are 12 inches in diameter ).

The early Ford (37 to 48) hubs and the F100 (53 to 56) share the same outer wheel bearings and cups. Bearing # 09067 and cup # 09195 are the numbers. No adaptating needed here.

You need # 14116 inner bearing to adapt the F100 hub to the early Ford spindle . The inner bearing cup (# 14276) works..as is. I always replace them NEW to prevent problems. You will need Victor seal #49195.

Often times, a very small amout of grinding is required on the top of the spindle and the rear of the wheel cylinder where there is interferance on the 37 - 41 spindles. I have never had to grind a 42 to 48 spindle.

When parts hunting, I will buy 66 F100 brake shoes and hardware. They are self-adjusting. The earlier ones are not. 1953 to 1966 F100 brake drums interchange. I buy them new but good used is OK (but hard to find here in the Southland). I only use 53 to 56 backing plates. They are easy to come by (all the Mustang II changeover guys will give you the JUNK they do not want [​IMG] [​IMG])

Some rodders say that they have had to slightly grind the inner wheel bearing so that it does not interfere fit with the spindle. This may be true.....but I have never had to do this. I use TimKen bearings ALWAYS......

Also....by the way......bearing and race numbers are standardized. The numbers I gave for the cups and bearings will interchange....TimKen, Koyo, NAPA, Bower/BCA......all will fit. Seals are not standardized...... [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Heres mine....on the 32......

[​IMG]

I like the F100 brake swap because it improves the brakes, they have the 5 on 5.5 early wheel pattern and it's old timey traditional. I realize that disc are better but this changeover was HIGH TECH back when I got the roadster...over 25 years ago. [​IMG]

"Deuce Roadster, post: 85571, member: 877"

23. greaser

greaser

Looks to me like it's possible to use F1 spindles and all on early ford axles. Change it all at the kingpin. Anyone have any experience doing this??

24. Sure they will work; but the L/H spindle is pretty ugly and there is no eye for cross steer on the R/H arm. I used F-1 spindles on my coupe, trimmed, with bolt on steering arms; but only because I already had spindles with new kingpins, good F series bearings, and the arms. Put a set on my friends A for about the same reasons.
    Otherwise probably less work and $ to use the early car spindles, like the square back spindles with F-100 brakes on my roadster.

greaser likes this.