Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Hot Rod Hill Climb Road Trip

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by rtsidejohnny, Aug 19, 2015.

1. This is real cool and thanks for sharing. I was supposed to be there so this is the next best for sure. :cool::cool::D:D JW

2. Autolite

Autolite

Wow! Thanks for taking us along for the journey. It was awesome.

3. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

digging the shit out of this thread...just bought a 60 year old california hot rod '27 rpu today

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  4. 1932tub

1932tub

What do we say about no pictures Larry?

kiwijeff likes this.
  5. Exactly and ''patiently waiting'':rolleyes::p:D JW

6. Be patient guys, he's still on the road home.

7. Roadsir

Roadsir

Great story, that's quite a trip in a RP.

8. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

I'll do a thread tomorrow

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  9. brady1929

brady1929

It's tomorrow somewhere Larry. Hurry up please.

10. Fedman

Fedman

Great Thread, Thanks for taking us all along! :)

11. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Still 0wLarry but congrats anyhoo.

12. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

More please. Are you home yet?

13. rtsidejohnny

rtsidejohnny

Johnny covered day 3 + 4 but I thought I'd add some more pics from those two days.
    Suzi
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1440256025.966713.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1440256121.649260.jpg
    Driving through a canyon between Spanish Fork, UT and Green River, UT
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1440256152.682653.jpg
    Magical Colorado canyon.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1440256195.282379.jpg
    Great driver!!
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1440256263.116082.jpg
    Looking a little annoyed about the starting issue.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1440256318.749479.jpg
    Whew, it was only the battery.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1440256382.199409.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1440256416.583429.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1440256447.289107.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1440256472.099565.jpg

Next will be race day!

14. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

I am loving this thread.

15. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

You guys are brave. That trip in any car would be an adventure. In an old a great adventure. To do it in the RP because the tow car broke down is off the scale. There is some lonely country out there. Hot rod road trips, real road trips not from the trailer to the parking spot, are the best. To drive to an event, race, and then drive home is as good as it gets.

16. rtsidejohnny

rtsidejohnny

Day 5: RACE DAY (finally)!! Up early, put on the official T-shirt, and head down for some breakfast. Thank you Nick's Garage for the pancake breakfast. There's a little time before the race starts so we head out to look at some cars. Boy were there some cool cars to look at! We also finally got to meet Bugsy and his kids. Very nice guy, wonderful kids that looked ready to race, and a great car. He and Johnny hit it off and it was nice to see them get to talk in person. I wandered off and was surprised to see my ol' pals from Spokane. Tim Heinz and John Gunsaulis, good too see you. Of course they were there since John is one of the new owners of Hop Up mag, congratulations and nice job!

Now it's race time. Sing Star-Spangled Banner...and fire up those engines! What a sight to see. 108 cars go through the start line a few minutes apart. Amy jumps up and drops the start flag for each car, impressive as well. Unfortunately, most of my pics from race day are on my camera, but I'll add them when we get home. Johnny took off from the start like a champ and flew up the hill. They all waited at the top until the last car came up and then they all came back down in a row. Awesome!

The second run didn't get to happen because of a rescue on the hill, but that didn't matter to us. We were happy to be there and we were having so much fun anyway. Then Mike announced the awards. The very last one was Nicks pick for best hot rod. He started to tell our story, then announced our little RPU as the pick! We couldn't have been more surprised and happy at the same time. What an honor! It may not be the best looking or have all the fancy parts, but it IS the best hot rod because it runs and drives wonderful and can take us all the way to Georgetown and back with hardly a problem. We love it!!!!

I'll end the story of this day by giving a huge thanks to Mike and Amy for putting this event on. We had a fantastic time! And thanks to the "white suit" crew and all the others that helped out. And Mike's surprise marriage proposal to Amy was a perfect ending to your event. We will see you next time!
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1440261702.139987.jpg
    Suited up and ready to go.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1440261763.372855.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1440261786.356873.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1440261805.706185.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1440261833.090384.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1440261852.472690.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1440261900.039967.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1440261935.606001.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1440262018.273339.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1440262044.890317.jpg

17. rtsidejohnny

rtsidejohnny

Suzi and I thought we'd each post for today so you get both our thoughts. Hope there isn't too much duplication for ya!

Day 5: RACE DAY!
    RPU fires right up! Go get parked in line as per drivers meeting, then pancake breakfast courtesy of HRHC. Off to look for people we know but especially the Torr-Nado T! Bugsy had helped a bunch through the HAMB but we'd never met. I knew he was here. Spotted the T and there he was. Great to finally get a hand shake in and hang out with he and his kids! GREAT PEOPLE!!
    So let's race!
    The actual run up the hill was a blast! Tight curves, open straights, 2nd to 3rd to 2nd the whole way, people lining the course yelling...whoa! Years of thrashing Nor-Cals back roads and coast line made it feel like I was home. Rpu ran great! We even managed to chase down the car in front, one of those big heavy '32 5 windows! T's rule!! (Right Bugsy ?) Hang at the top visiting with the drivers, then parade back down to Georgetown through the cheering crowd...wild.
    For reasons beyond anyone's control the afternoon run had to be cancelled. You know what that means...B+B! (Beer and bulls...t) An absolute whale of a time, can't begin to tell you how much fun it ALL was. Mike and Amy and the entire town of Georgetown ...HATS OFF TO YOU!!
    Suzi will finish the day off for you, I'm exhausted.
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
    image.jpg
    And a little rain at the end of the day. Done!
    Johnny

18. This keeps getting better !!:cool::D JW

19. Nobey

Nobey

Hats off to you guys, true pioneers, and the essence of what Hot Rodding is all about.
    Rich

20. rtsidejohnny

rtsidejohnny

After the race, we went to the Cantina, had dinner and a well-deserved margarita. Listened to the solo musician. Headed downstairs to the Hop Up party where I got to swap magazine stories with John G. Ended our evening chatting with Cactus1 and his wife. Another pair of fine folks, glad we got to hang out with them!

Hang on, we have 7 more days on the road to tell you about.
    Suzi

(I told Suzi we can't add a post with NO picture...so here you go!
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    I wondered what a trunk was for!)

Last edited: Aug 22, 2015
    kidcampbell71, kiwijeff and Jeff34 like this.
  21. Wardog

Wardog

I have been reading a few threads on the Hot Rod Hillclimb and it looks like an awesome event. But you guys have captured what it is really all about!
    My friends and I always say it's about the journey not the destination!
    We also usually provide our own main event in the way of a table of people having a meal a drink and a laugh with hot rods just providing some great scenery.
    Thanks for the story.

ROCKER77 likes this.
  22. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Thanx for your memories! We love you guys! Gary

23. This looks like a blast! Thanks for entertaining us!

24. I agree Thank you for the entertainment!! Great story and it will only get better the more times you tell it Jim

25. TigerFan

TigerFan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Athens, GA

This is great! Please tell us more. I'm curious about what you chose to pack in terms of tools and spares, etc., in your RPU. With all that precipitation and no roof, I hope you invested in quality rain gear!

26. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

I spent my time racing and not rodding and after reading your story about your neat trip, I sure missed out on some great times

Thanks a bunch for letting us know what you went through ' Priceless '

27. Yet another "thanks" to you and Suzi for making us feel like we were there, too. How about a narrative of the run up the hill? I'd like to hear what the course was like.

28. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Johnny and Suzi….SO AWESOME to finally meet you both!!! So glad that you guys finally made it home….what a ride!!! You two have iron wills and iron asses!!! Can't wait to see you all next year!!

29. rtsidejohnny

rtsidejohnny

Whoooaaa folks we're not done with our story yet! The ride back is still to come, with more pics! And we'll try to answer those questions as we figure out how this "thread" thing works. Thanks again for the interest!

Bugsy you must be a clairvoyant!! Meeting and hanging with you was a highlight for us too! Next year, more beer time though !!!

Day 6: The ride back begins slow..Georgetown back to Grand Junction. I did notice the rt front tire wearing more than the left so I swapped them side to side before we left the condo. I must be driving harder into my left turns! Rpu running (and starting) like a top. Passing cars on the 10,000 ft passes! Flatheads! Shifting feeling a bit notchy but....?
    The drive through Glen Canyon, slow with construction, was georgous! (Way
    differant than at night in the rain 3 days before!) Stopped to gas up in Grand Juntion but found a brew pub too! There we stayed, with the gorillas.
    Johnny
    image.jpg
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited: Aug 23, 2015
  30. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Are you going to cross Nevada on 50 or I-80? If you come on 50 I'll buy you some cold ones. If you have problems in Nevada I'll put a rescue party together. There is a lot of pretty country in Utah I hope you have time to enjoy it.

Jeff34 likes this.