Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 51 Ford F1 build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 55delray, Apr 26, 2015.

1. 55delray

55delray
    from Florida

I picked up this 1951 Ford F1 a few years back from a legend in our area, Frank Davidson. After walking past it for months, I decided to at least get it driving and see if it would make a decent shop truck. The basic foundation is a 1951 rolling chassis, with updated mustang II front end already in place, and original leaf spring rear end. The cab came to me with shaved door handles, and a keyed, GM column. That's where I started. I hope to get some input from fellow rodders on the completion of this project. At this time, plans are for a 351 Windsor with AOD transmission, plain bench seat and shop truck exterior until the truck takes shape.

I began by removing the leaf springs and rear end to make way for a GM 10 bolt I had, which had the bolt pattern I needed and had already been stripped of the brackets by a previous owner. I then purchased a parallel four bar setup from Ebay and mounted it in place.

Attached Files:

2. 55delray

55delray
    from Florida

My next step is adding an 8" c notch to mount coil overs and then mock up the engine and transmission. I have to fabricate motor and transmission mounts so I can cut the drive shaft. The chassis has no wiring nor brake lines nor master cylinder. All follows laying in the driveline and notching the frame.

My first big debate is the shaved door handles. I've never used pop a locks and don't like them, but it would be a long way back to got back to handles.

My second issue involves wiring and gauges. Given the late model drive train I plan to upgrade to electronic gauge packages but other than that upgrade don't want to change the interior. Not sure how much of a hassle the gauges will be with after market wiring harness. I'm hoping someone has done this upgrade successfully and can give me some tips.

3. 55delray

55delray
    from Florida

Finally got the inner wheel wells cut out so I could reseat the bed. Now the front looks high so plan to add 2" drop spindles. New pics added.

4. 55delray

55delray
    from Florida

5. 55delray

55delray
    from Florida

So I added the two inch dropped spindles and it definitely helped with the stance up front.

Attached Files:

6. 55delray

55delray
    from Florida

Then moved forward on rear end frame notch to allow for mounting of the coilover springs. Here is update of process and finally result with bed kinda back on. I still have to notch the bed to get the bed to sit right. Its not going to be a tail dragger, but without coil overs mounted, it shows I will have sufficient travel for everyday driving. Excuse the glass, when I dropped my jack, i forgot to move my light off of the frame and it killed it. (the light ) IMG_1443.JPG IMG_1440.JPG IMG_1443.JPG IMG_1440.JPG