Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1930 Model A Pick-up Build A.K.A. No Talent Zilch Builds the "Captain"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stutz, Feb 7, 2012.

1. lomonte

lomonte
    from Indep., MO

This is just cool! Nice fab work!

2. So quick update... been awful quiet lately

I've been f'ing off with this work nonsense, and distracted with my pal Rusty and I making Monster T-Shirts
    [​IMG]

But I have had a little time to keep working on the inner sub-frame structure.
    [​IMG]

The biggest news is that my little roller just got ze papers... Its Officially in the eyes of the Government!
    [​IMG]

I'll do a better update... soon.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  3. By the way, I read all the comments and again I can't say thank you enough for the kindness. I always wanted my cars to have the same effect that others cars had on me when I was little. Someday I hope to drive this down the street, where some youngster will see it and be mesmerized by it. Then maybe he/she will grow up to carry the torch of the hot rod culture.

4. Good to see you're back

5. Ok well, I am trying to get free time to keep working on my hot rod. I have a title now like I said earlier and that makes me unbelievably happy.

To move on. The sub frame needs more finishing and the underneath will get plenty of attention when the body comes off in the future.

[​IMG]

I am moving my focus on to the forward supports, which will include the floor mounted master cylinder. I DON'T HAVE ONE, or know which I will use. Keeping to the Pre-63 rule, It's not as easy as just grabbing a speedway catalog and ordering.

I plan to mount it here giving myself plenty of room for the trans shifter mech. (which I will most likely fabricate).

Sorry for the blurry ass photos. This is the rail side in which I will mount the brake, off the frame, nice and stout so I dont push it through the floor.

[​IMG]

a couple other shots. I filled the driverside motor mount and my animal wanted to investigate.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also put together a simple grill base and mounts in the corners of the front frame rails and then attaches to the fabbed grill. This will definitely be getting over reinforced.

[​IMG]

Shit Photos of things that need a hell of allot more attention.

Anyway, I have a few points I an focusing on.

1. The motor -
    DUAL CARB INTAKE IS HERE!!! and its awesome. Need to really start looking for all the components I will need to make it complete... then it will be broken down and rebuilt.

2. The Body
    The rear section needs to be ironed out and finish welded. the rust whole need patched and the door tops, cab top needs to be recreated to be flush and smooth, carrying a consistent line with the beauty lines and the overall shape. The inner floor panels that will connect to the sub frame from the body are going to be interesting. How does one build up 6 inches and with a increasing gap from front to back. Well, I will be finding out. The key is to make it look like it belong... not an after thought.

3. The Bed
    The rear rails need to be cleaned up. Then a strong frame built which the parts sedan body will be narrowed and encased around it. By doing that I can keep the pick up body line going all the way down the length of the vehicle.

The basics need to be covered so I can really start worrying about the details. I plan to move on to the steering after I feel these items are far enough along. I continue to go back and forth between cowl steering or in front of the firewall, over the frame. These and many other questions are to be handled.

I love this motor... Cadillac has always been my favorite make... and will always. The reason to me is obvious. Even beaten down, everything about a Cadillac of the era oozed a mixture of class and strength.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I really am sorry about the blurry pictures. I will do my best to knock that shit off.

6. Yes! Dual Quad!

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

Attached Files:

7. davo461

davo461

I do believe that any budding young 'caroholic' could not help but be positively 'adjusted' by the quality of your work. Don't stop now!!
    Davo.

8. If that's the outcome I'll be happy

9. big daddy Raleigh

big daddy Raleigh
    from Denver CO

Stutz!
    Hats off that is one sweet ass sweet ride you're building! I like seeing unique hot rods that work well like this! Dual Quad Caddy= massive jealousy points!

10. Not having messed with many Model A's in my day, could anyone share advice on a couple things. 1. is the cowl belt held on by the two bolts on the bottoms of each side of the inner front body. (I need the proper wordage) 2. Any recommendations for brake master cylinder (pre-63) that will fit inside my frame rails at the floor. I'm thinking mid fifties GM, two of them, one for the front and one for the back, controlled by one pedal. I am all ears and love suggestions.

11. TurboX2

TurboX2

Nice build! On the brakes some of the guys use an early corvette master cylinder and use early ford floor mounted pedals. There are some store bought pedal mounts that will also work. No joking around when it comes to brakes!
    Also a single pot master works great with drums front and rear. Good luck and keep up the great work!

12. The bed structure begins... And still working on the floor sub frame. I want it super strong.

The good news if I can open the does to fit the lower door structure.

I need more free time.

Attached Files:

13. boutlaw

boutlaw

Stutz.....love what you're doing, especially the part where you use what you have. Unique hot rod for sure. I love it. And, you've definitely got some fabrication skills thats for sure. Subscribed.

BOutlaw

14. Anymore progress or updates?
    I love this build!

15. No more progress at the moment. Our wonderful economy has me working too much to survive. I plan to get back on it soon.

16. Rat.Racer

Rat.Racer
    from Maryland

Definitely subscribing, I can't wait to see how the removable top looks!

17. Well busy busy around the 307 country, but I have an update. I made a mad dash in the last week to get my model A ready for my car show. Nothing has changed since last year, except the little updates I've done. But to get back moving on the Captain, last week I finally took the old bendable exhaust tube that they used as the body top around the back of the cab. Then I chopped out the fender wells on the 31 sedan back to be put over the rear frame as the truck bed. A whole lot of chopping and cutting and I have a shape I'm going to enjoy. It still needs a lot of fine tuning... Here the pictures ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1373867356.659749.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1373867373.770980.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1373867392.801711.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1373867405.672675.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1373867428.207899.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1373867448.115579.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1373867470.964852.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1373867488.080247.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1373867523.486253.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1373867542.977591.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1373867570.420846.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1373867607.685211.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

18. Mentalstates

Mentalstates

Looking good....love your attitude on this build....

19. I really like the touring feel that bed gives this rod

20. Thanks guys, it feels good to have done more after being to busy lately to work on it.

21. very creative... keep the pics coming!

22. gregaustex

gregaustex
    from Austin

Very nice. The way you kept the body lines from cowl to end of the bed really look good. Looks factory spec.

23. View attachment 1986361 looked good behind the shop truck this weekend at the Absaroka State Takeover.

24. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1374516935.278838.jpg

25. Scott, any new updates?

Posted from droid using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

26. sammy76

sammy76

Great build. Looking forward to some further updates.

27. 19ford49

19ford49
    from Casper,Wyo

I would take one of those tshirts off your hands ;)

28. From what I can see, it looks kick ass - but for me a lot of the pictures are not displaying.

29. It's been a million years since I last posted any update... because barely anything has happened to it. Loads of other things have bumped it to the back burner over and over. I did redo a lot of the cab structure and will eventually detail what's been done. At least it's back in the shop and serving as a work bench until it's back as the primary project.

Sent from my SM-G935V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

sko_ford likes this.