Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 1936 Dodge/Plymouth 5 Window Coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kustomolds, Jun 16, 2010.

1. hudsy-wudsy

hudsy-wudsy
    from MN

The narrow fenders with the catwalks (extensions between fender and hood) make this one a '35 or '36. The rounded lower corners on the widshield, however, make it a '35.

2. hudsy-wudsy

hudsy-wudsy
    from MN

These have great frames and I never hear of one rusting out. I bet yours sat on the ground (or maybe in it?). A Ford frame would be a bad choice. These cars are common enough. You'll find a correct one. The thing that you want to remember is that the Plymouth frames are two inches shorter than the other Chrysler products for these years. That difference in wheel base is in front of the firewall. Thus, if you use a Plymouth frame, then you have to use Plymouth front fenders and hood. If you use a Dodge frame, you have to use a Dodge fenders and hood. The picture of the chopped coupe that BobPer posted shows the result of placing Dodge fenders on a Plymouth frame. You'll notice that the door could open and actually come in contact with the fender, but most importantly, the space where you would mount the running board is two inches too short. That is to say, the back of the Dodge fender is two inches too close to the rear fender to squeeze in a stock running board. (I'm sure that BobPer is aware of all of this, and just has the Dodge fenders hanging there for appearance.) While they look the same, '35 bodies and '36 bodies are substantially different from each other. Don't assume that anything will interchange without asking someone who knows, or doing a lot of measuring first. I have no idea if the frames interchange between '35s and '36s, but my guess would be that they don't.
    Here's a link to an important and trusted source of parts for these cars:

http://plymouthdoctor.net/index.html

Here's a link to a yard in North Dakota that has both a Plymouth and a Dodge (36s) that he's parting out. The sheet metal in your picture is '35 Plymouth. I'm afraid that '35s are harder to find, but they are out there.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1936...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3ef0397491

Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
  3. Here's my long term project. Not making any progress lately, due to work and family. 1936 Dodge Sedan

Attached Files:

4. ^^^^^^ Very nice body on your sedan.

I know all about having to put a long-term project on hold due to..........life.
    Don't despair; if you want it bad enough, it will happen. Stay the course while
    taking care of family first!

5. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ron,
    How about some pics of YOUR '36 ??

6. If you are referring to me, TagMan, see my album for the last pics before I tore it down.
    (And we will leave this thread for the early Mopar guys; they don't get enough coverage.
    P.M. me w/ some info. on your avatar)
    Robb

7. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

8. bbbbbb9

bbbbbb9
    from Tucson

Is your album still accessable? I can't seem to find it.

Thanks

9. 2003Xtreme

2003Xtreme

I am new to this site, but I have a 36 plymouth that I am building. Here it is
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I still need a few hard to find pieces for it... I am missing the rear window garnish moulding and havent found one yet.. lol Thought I would poste a couple pictures of my build for ya guys.

10. COUPES

COUPES
    from England

Still miss my old 36! Was stock but want to do a custom when funds allow or if one turns up? Pretty rare.
    Had a race coming back from a show with a mates 36 ford 5 window and with 3 spare wheels my old dodge still beat the ford!!! Subscribed.

11. 35du

35du
    BANNED
    from missouri

not a coupe but... my new 35' touring sedan. 44,000 miles all original for now. not sure what to do with it yet.

Attached Files:

12. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Wow. This one could not be cooler.

Don

13. Sixhundred sixteen

Sixhundred sixteen
    from Utah

Just saw your post. Your car looks a lot like my '36 when I bo't it in 1963;
    I've now had it for 51 years.

Attached Files:

• 318.jpg
      318.jpg
      File size:
      400.6 KB
      Views:
    • 004.JPG
      004.JPG
      File size:
      195.5 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  14. tpp

tpp
    from Belgium

15. tpp

tpp
    from Belgium

I'm looking for a 36 Plymouth driver's side fender.... Let me know if you have one pls.

16. pshea64

pshea64
    from Spokane wa

I just purchased a 1936 Plymouth 5 window without a front clip.
    Do the 1935 Plymouth front fenders fit a 36? ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1439909057.189479.jpg

17. Wikster

Wikster
    from Phoenix

Edit.. I think the 35 grill shell is more rounded. The grill itself has a square pattern instead of vertical grill like my 36. Search the Plymouth owners club. They would have more details on the measurements.

I think the trim on sides is different too. It's like 5 circles with lines through it.

I've got my 36 up for sale for 2900.00 in Phoenix AZ. My front clip is straight and complete. Well the grill needs a little love. Not parting it out unfortunately. It's a sedan, but I think the front clips were interchangeable on 36's but don't quote me on that. :)

Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
  18. BobPer

BobPer

The 35 Fenders are different as they don't have the bead around the edges like the 36. Hoods and grills are also different as noted previously. As far as interchanging with 36 Dodges, the 36 Plymouth has a 113" wheel base, and the 36 Dodge has 116". The bodies are the same (other than trim and dash), so the length difference is in the nose, so sheetmetal won't interchange. The good news is that the runningboards do interchange. It's too bad you're so far away, as I have lots of parts for the 36's. Hope that helps, Bob

dana barlow likes this.
  19. bct

bct

When i bought mine it came with fiberglass fenders. Someone is doing them. If that doesn't bother you.

20. jbh

jbh

I have an extra left front fender, but shipping would be tough.

21. earlymopar

earlymopar

Damn. That's a beauty!

- EM

22. Hello All! I'm working on a 1936 Dodge, I need an original frame. The frame that is under the car has been butchered. I'm located in Colorado. any leads are appreciated. Thanks.

23. moparjack44

moparjack44

I thought that earlier, on Page (1) a Hamber had posted he had a frame for sale, but could not find his post? Go back and look, I could have missed it.

24. COUPES

COUPES
    from England

Here's my old 36. CKD car built in Australia by T J Richards and son. 3 spare wheels on it. Here in the UK now. I was the second owner in the UK and got her roadworthy. Wanted to put a baby red ram in but to good to straight. Had a few owners since sold.

Attached Files:

25. COUPES

COUPES
    from England

No opening front screen or side vents was only drawback.

Attached Files:

26. Sixhundred sixteen

Sixhundred sixteen
    from Utah

Here are a few pics of my '36 which I purchased in
    1963. Since '65 it has been powered by a 401 'Nailhead' Buick.

Attached Files:

• 011.JPG
      011.JPG
      File size:
      217.4 KB
      Views:
    • 016 (2).JPG
      016 (2).JPG
      File size:
      177.5 KB
      Views:
    • 004.JPG