Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 40 Ford Coupe build need help with radiator

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oneblueoval, Jun 9, 2015.

?
  1. Cheaper

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. More expensive

4 vote(s)
    100.0%
  3. Thanks for help and advice

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. oneblueoval

oneblueoval

Hi, guys, I've been "lurking" on your site for quite a while, always found it helpful. I am building a 40 Ford coupe with 500 hp 351 Windsor and AOD. Looking at radiators, found all aluminum welded with automatic bungs from $250 to Walker and Griffin Radiators for up to $800.00. Since I'm not made of money, looking for advice or experience, don't want to cheap out and get stuck on the side of the road, please help, Thanks

2. Model T1

Model T1

This may not help and it's not traditional. I just ordered this as a replacement for the 55 Chevy radiator in my 1939 Ford. Should arrive tomorrow. I have a 55 Chevy Desert Cooler in my 41 Ford. Wanted another for the 39 but this is cheaper and quicker thru Speedway. Comes free shipping, no tax, and with a radiator cap.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] GRI-8-70018
    Radiator, Direct-Fit, Aluminum, Downflow, 2-Row, Chevy, Each
    (Mfr. #: 8-70018) [​IMG]
    Ready to Ship
    Ground

[​IMG] $384.96 [​IMG]

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. geoford41

geoford41
    from Delaware

Not 500 HP like one blue oval but My 350/330 HP uses a "Superior Brand " 2 row all Alum. welded radiator out of Mt. Clemens MI. Mine cools great with a Cooling Components 17" electric fan/shroud and a Ron Francis electric controller I run under 185 in in 90 degree weather Flat Black paint it is you want "traditional" Around $300 with trans cooler in lower tank.

oneblueoval and hotrodladycrusr like this.
  4. Gman0046

Gman0046

I learned a long time ago messing with these old cars, that when it comes to Brakes, Steering and Cooling I always buy the best. When you buy the best your never disappointed.

Model T1 likes this.

5. Username 8th grade genious built my car originally, it's radiator came out of a Toyota forklift he thought... It's been great, never topped 180 and fit like a glove. We discussed it at HAMB drags last year but those late Saturday nights get fuzzy.... I can post pics/measurements after work... If needed

6. Gman0046

Gman0046

FWIW, the car in my avatar has a 2006 Toyota Camry dual electric fan set up. Fits the stock Chevrolet radiator like it was made for it. Can be had for way less then any aftermarket units. Car cannot be overheated.

Gary

7. Model T1

Model T1

Sadly like looking at all the other ads and descriptions we soon have no idea what really is the best. I saw aluminum and copper/brass radiator combos around $2000. Also el cheapos for under $200. Going by the buyer comments I decided the lower priced Griffin would cool a SBC. Looks nice in the pictures. :confused: Only time will tell.
    Son put a $99 Disc Auto radiator in his later model truck and it lasted a year. They won't cover it because he added an electric fan. Life is a gamble.
    Very happy with the UPS service. Summit said 2-4 days and I figured it would take four. Got two radiators today at 2PM eastern, on the third day.
    Like a fool I haven't checked how much room I have for a 16" electric fan with the shroud. I know the old mechanical was close. Still I can put the new radiator in my 41 Ford and the Desert Cooler in the 39. It's nice that most old Fords come out with SBC engines. :rolleyes:

Yes if it fits I'll use BBQ black on the radiator.

8. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Like GeoFord41 I too went with a Superior Radiator built radiator. I have over 128,000 miles on the one in my Oldsmobile which I installed back in 2002 and have not had a lick of trouble with it ever. I also had them build one of my '60 Pontiac Station wagon. GREAT guys to work with. Call them for a quote, you mightbe suprised on how reasonable they are. Tell Charlie you are a personal friend of Denise Sheldon's AKA hotrodladycrusr from the HAMB. He'll treat you right.

Superior Radiator
    195 Grand Ave
    Mt Clemens, MI
    586-463-8722

9. Gman0046

Gman0046

I'm a Walker proponent. Pricey but in my estimation worth the money. My 46 Ford Convertible has one in it for 15 years and going strong when I sold the car.

I have heard a lot of good things about Superior as well.

It's the Chinese products made by small children that I'd shy away from. A lot of their aluminum radiator are epoxied rather then welded which makes them throw aways.

Model T1 likes this.
  10. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

What ever radiator you choose, a shroud, and all engine compartment sheet metal is also critical to good cooling. I have used Walker radiators on two builds and have had no problems.

11. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Have used Walkers in all the 40's I have done--never an issue-lots of them still running around with lots of miles on them.

40fordtudor and lothiandon1940 like this.
  12. Model T1

Model T1

The one my son bought and sadly same one in my 55 Chevy have the plastic side tanks. They cool well as long as they last. From the looks of his leaker in a later truck the tubes are made of soda can aluminum. I think the thickness of the aluminum make a difference in the costs, plus the workmanship.
    From our little experiences with old cars a good radiator and cooling is number one on the list. Good brakes help!

13. WOODEYE

WOODEYE

Here is my 2 cents worth. The trick will be cooling the 500 HP. Put as much radiator as will fit. I just put a Champion in my 40ty last weekend. It was a improvement over the stock unit. Not so much driving down the street (moving air) but while stopped at the street lights and slow tight traffic. Running 180F thermostats on a mild Flathead with a 6 blade crank driven truck fan and never topped 200F. Outside ambient temp about 93F. Where I am going is this. Full shroud and as much electric puller fan as will fit is the package you are after no matter what radiator you choose to go with. Buy or build a deflector to fit over the area in front of the radiator tank. It keeps hot under hood air from circulating back over and to the front where it then can circulate the hot air back through the radiator. Just some things to think about. Good luck with your project.

oneblueoval likes this.
  14. Model T1

Model T1

On the yellow 41 Ford with 350 Chevy I did build a top cover between radiator and grille. It helped a lot. There are two radiator cap holes because I swapped to a Desert Cooler Chevy radiator. Be gentle. I bought the 41 this color.
    Plan on making a similar cover for the 39 Ford. I gave up keeping it period correct since I haven't driven it in over 36 years. I just want to get a few good years out of it and keep it cool. Smiley (77).jpg

15. geoford41

geoford41
    from Delaware

Almost forgot to mention that in addition to the panel between the radiator & grill also use the stock Ford side air deflectors in a 39 deluxe and 40 std & deluxe, also the radiator pan/tray below the grill, I swore I would not overheat ever again so I punched 66 well placed louvers in the hood and its run cool with that Superior Alum Radiator. I listened to Charlie at superior & I believe while the 2 tube radiator may sound less efficient than a 3 tube he explained that the total actual surface diameter is larger in the 2 vs. 3 tube talk to an expert

16. With all the cooling issues I've had with cars over the last 45 years, I'll always go with the biggest and best radiator that I can. Looking at putting a Walker in my '40 when I get it going again...

oneblueoval likes this.
  17. oneblueoval

oneblueoval

Will call tomorrow, thanks...I suspect they will know who you are...LOL

hotrodladycrusr likes this.
  18. fordor41

fordor41

If you lean towards a Walker, my choice, check Speedway's garage sale. I bought a walker, sized for a BBF, for $200 less than Walker's price in Sept 2014.

19. Jibs

Jibs

Heres another vote for Superior, I've used their rads in my last three builds, they can not be beat. I would not ever use Walker, had one in my 37 Ford coupe, in fact the best one they sold, would not keep a stock 350 cool in any kind of traffic.

Model T1 likes this.
  20. Gman0046

Gman0046

The nature of car events at times requires waiting in traffic to enter or exit show venues. Its no fun having your eyes glued to your temp gauge. Like I posted before, buy the biggest and best radiator and fan set up there is. Saving a few hundred bucks on a Chinese radiator is not worth it.

warbird1 likes this.
  21. I have used Walker radiators in my cars, and recommended them to people around here. The one in my coupe is over 20 years old now, and customer service great. The Walker in my friend's 500hp full hood Model T, idles and runs all day with no issues. Remember, air flow and state of tune on the engine will immensely affect the operating temperature. I'm just stating my experience with Walker, as others have with the other suppliers.

Model T1 likes this.
  22. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

Walker, copper and brass---that is all.

23. oneblueoval

oneblueoval

Thanks Ms. Denise, called Charlie moments ago, gave me a great price since I knew you, will probably call him Monday to order! Thank you!

hotrodladycrusr and Model T1 like this.
  24. Model T1

Model T1

The great thing about this forum is we get actual reports of real life experience no matter which brand of part we choose. Then we can buy the best we can afford. Like mentioned several times, a name brand as large as possible for whatever size engine the car has is best.
    I'm hoping the Griffin I bought with a built on shroud will cool my 39 Ford. Won't know for awhile and since it's been 36 years why hurry? I've discovered just having the car is a lot of fun. I do know I gotta use a mechanical fan. But even that's kool. paint the aluminum flat black and I'll be traditional again.
    I figure that brand has been around a few years. They must be decent.

25. oneblueoval

oneblueoval

Thanks for the reply, I understand "Fuzzy Saturday nights", LOL

26. oneblueoval

oneblueoval

Took me a while to get this going, just ordered a radiator from Charlie, Thanks for your advice!

hotrodladycrusr likes this.
  27. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

My pleasure! Don't forget to report back on the quality of the radiator, his customer service, fairness of cost, etc.