Register now to get rid of these ads!

my first hot rod!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TN young gun, Feb 13, 2006.

1. TN young gun

TN young gun

Hey, just wanted to post some pics of this model a sedan i was finally able to pick up. I got it from a guy i go to church with. Me and my brother bought cars from him, so we got a package deal. My brother is getting a 34 dodge pickup cab, and a 33 chevy pickup bed. Both of them should be very cool little hot rods.

The plan for mine as of right now is a 60's style hot rod with either a sbc or sbf, cheater slicks in the back and some skinny whites on the front, all on some slotted mags. I really like the bent frame look that some of the hot rods had back then, so i might build mine like that. I have a 37-48? front end(i haven't figured out the exact year yet) that i will put f-100 brakes on, and an 8" ford rear in the back. This will be my first complete build up, so i'm just hopping to be able to finish it.

If anybody knows of any key features i should consider to stay true to the 60's theme, please let me know. If anyone has pictures of hot rods with the bent frame look, that would help me out alot too.

Thanks for looking. Richie

P.S. jalopy43, i'm not trying to copy you!:D ;)

2. Cool. Did you get doors, windshield frame or visor with it?

3. len_m

len_m
    from wpg,can

looks like a good body, thats what mine looks like right now. its a good start. how much did you pay?

4. TN young gun

TN young gun

yea the windshield frame and doors are inside, i dont' think the visor i have will be in good enough shape to use

5. Congratulations man. That looks like a great start.

JH

6. Harms Way

Harms Way

Well,..... I know this is a 29,...... but here's a idea,...... ( congratulations !, now cut that sucker up !:cool:)
    [​IMG]

7. TN young gun

TN young gun

harrison, i know i talked about getting a t bucket, but i couldn't pass up this. All it needs is some patch panels and eventually a chop, and it shoud be good to go. I'm gonna use the front part of the a frame and then build the rear with some square tubbing. i'll box the orginial frames as well. I think i'm gonna still leave a lip on the inside of the rails for a more traditional look.

I'll probably suicide the frontend, but i want to keep the frame horns, so i guess i'll just notch out for the axle.

Keep the pics coming please!

8. attitudor

attitudor
    from Finland

Mmmmm, Tudor.....

Attached Files:

9. TINGLER

TINGLER

Very cool!

Glad you got something to work with. Looks better than anything I have laying around here. :eek:

10. Look like a damn nice one to start with. Here is what I started with and what I have now.

Attached Files:

11. PRESKRYS

PRESKRYS

TN That looks like it can really peel the tires?

Nice

12. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Your first, We are so proud.:rolleyes:

13. Well, FWIW...heres mine, made it a roller last weekend...probably will mount the body this weekend to see what I've gotta do to mock up the side cowl steering /throttle pedal/shifter/flooring/seats/fuel tank positions. BTW, mines a coupe...the "bent frame" on mine is a severely modified boxed original. mind you, I still have all the finish welding and grinding and painting to do on the chassis, but you get the idea. Its a lot easier to undo and re-do if things are tacked in place...just make sure they are right for you and the car and safety, safety, safety...things like scrub lines, accessability and service needs later, etc. my wife and I finally agreed on the color, which is attached here...its a 03 subaru color called Regatta Red....but its really kind of a burnt red with a brownish maroon cast on the side view...straight on its a knock out color. The buildup pics is on my gallery at clubhotrod.com if you are interested. lotsa sweat, cussin, and grinning' (not to mention the ben franklins) involved here, but you'll have a ball every step of the way...make sure to write stuff down as you do it and take a boatload of build pix...comes in handy later for several reasons. Good luck...happy hot-roddin', now go get some buddies for help, cut that thing and make some sparks fly!!!

Attached Files:

14. HotrodBoy

HotrodBoy

Hey dude, good start there, check out a few of the threads on here like "Who's all got Model As in the works", also think there is some on Tudors and Sedans that have lots a pics. Look out for 60sStyle's tech threads as well hes building a coupe but alot of the same applies to a tudor sedan as well.

15. Irish Dan

Irish Dan

That is an EXCELLENT find, my friend! Good Luck on your progress!

...everything is beautiful!...nothing hurts!

16. wlspdshop

wlspdshop
    from Missouri

Congrats!!! Looks like a nice start.

17. TN young gun

TN young gun

Thanks for the comments guys, i can't wait to show some progress pics.

Hey eyeball, when i found out i was getting a sedan, i searched and found your car. It has been my wallpaper for a while now:D . that thing is one cool ride!

18. jalopy43

jalopy43
    Member Emeritus

HEEYYYY Richie!! Now yer' talkin'. Congrats on the find. I just knew something had to come up for you. Looks like a pretty good start. Thats more than I started with. I know the style you want,and you will do good in building it. If you need anything,let me or the club know. Man, I'm happy for you, I'll be seeing you. Sparky:D:D

19. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Congratulations, looks like a good start.

20. sgtmcd42

sgtmcd42

way to go! have fun with it!!!

21. Well you'll need tho give the roof a whack, but judge by the way you're head sticks out through the roof you're gonna have to get a shorter bucket. :D

The bent frame look comes from channeling the front more than the back. I guess you already figured that out. I like the slots idea, but from what I remember mostly only show cars had matching wheels. Not that that is an issue, I like matching wheels myself.:D

Good starting place. Looks solid as a rock.:cool:

22. Rusty

Rusty

Cool. Congrats!!!

23. TN young gun

TN young gun

Hey sparky, i'll probably have plenty of questions for you before this build is over;) . I still need to get out to you're shop one of these days.

On the bent frame subject, i don't think i'll have room to channel the floor very much at all(you say how big i am in the pic). My plan is to angle the frame where the orginal meets the square tubing. I'll be needing all the leg room i can get.

Here's a pic that i picked up off the hamb. I want something along these lines

24. kennedy

kennedy
    from TN

Thats cool. I'm building a 31 coupe. My dad is about to start a 34 Dodge ,and is needing some parts. Did the guy Have anymore 33-34 Dodge parts?

25. 29 sedanman

29 sedanman
    from Indy

Congrats, Thats a great looking body. You will have a blast getting it going. My sedan should be on the road in the next two months and I cant wait.

26. I'd be willing to guess you'll be happier with this in the long run. A T-bucket is fun, & I love 'em, but it isn't a lot of car (neither is a '28 RPU ;) ). This sedan is something you should be able to make look really good and will still provide the protection of a top & some glass.

You'll have somewhere to hide in a storm, something (relatively) warm to drive on a cool night, and somewhere to stash your crap when you hit the open road.

You done good.

JH

27. Have you seen So-Cal Speed Shop's "Step Box" chassis? Sounds like what you're talking about.

http://www.est1946.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=674

JH

28. TN young gun

TN young gun

Kennedy- he didn't have anymore dodge parts. I have a feeling they are gonna be hard to find. the only place i know that will have something is gonna be a place in west virgina called ply-do. hope that can help

Harrison, i hadn't seen that so-cal frame, but that is what i'm talking about

again thanks for the compliments and encouragement guys

richie

29. Hell we all want something along those lines. Oh that's not what you ment is it.

You can z the frame pretty easy, if you go one frame width it makes a ton of difference.