Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Olds 324+Hydra in Ford -34 sedan??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fordor, Aug 16, 2015.

1. fordor

fordor
    from Finland

Hello,

I did find a Olds 324 with a original Hydra gearbox. Now i wonder how much do i have to modify the original Ford -34 x-member to get gearbox to fit. I do find cars with Rocket engines, but no chassie pictures with Olds Rocket+ Hydra gearbox.

Pictures would be nice:D.

Regards
    Peter

2. F&J

F&J

The trans is big, and the X will need a lot of rework.

Someone might reply with a pic..

but a quick question; have you thought about just using the Ford trans with closed drive? You can find new or used adapter plates and pilot bushing adapters to make it fit together. I never have done that swap on a pre-37 style frame, so I am not sure if the motor location will be OK with that flat plate adapter. Meaning possible firewall and radiator problems

3. Likely will be some significant modifications necessary to install the hydramatic. Is it an early 4 speed hydro? Probably worth the effort.

4. My 34' coupe has a 371" and I ran a B&M Hydro the first several years I raced the car. The center of the X will have to come out. I boxed the rails and what I saved from the X and made a trans mount that attached to tail shaft housing bolts. I'll try to find the pic's I took back then.

5. CCF08162015_00000.jpg CCF08162015_00001.jpg CCF08162015_00002.jpg

These pictures will give you an ides of how I re did the X and made a cross member for the trans mount. Also I "straightened" the cannel in the rear cross member and used a 40' rear spring.

Dago 88 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  6. fordor

fordor
    from Finland

Thank you very much for the answers and pictures.
    F&J i have change to open drive with 35-6 bones, it was a bare frame when i found this project. And here in my part of world it can sometimes be difficult to find parts.
    550Coupe this helps me a lot. Where do you have the master cylinder? Is it on firewall ?

If someone have more pictures or information about a swap like this, please let me now.

Peter

7. Glad I could help. Since I only needed a brake pedal and no clutch pedal I used 40'-48' Ford pedal assembly with adapter (you can make your own ) and Ford pickup master cylinder (drum to drum, no disc brakes ). You can't see it but I made kind of a wedge mounting surface on the inside of the frame rail where I mounted the pedal assembly to get it square in the frame. I'll try to find more pictures and post them.

Art

8. Peter, here you can see the wedge I welded onto the frame so the pedal & master cylinder are lined up properly. You can see where I cut out the frame rail for pedal clearance. You may also have to slightly bend the brake pedal arm so it doesn't hit the back of the engine block.
    Art IMG_1109.JPG

9. fordor

fordor
    from Finland

Thanks Art very much, your photos helpt me a lot. My brake setup is now a modified F1 bracket with a adapter to Mustang drum/drum cylinder. My setup is a little bit wider than yours. But i think i can solve that problem.

Peter

10. Dago 88

Dago 88
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here's my '36 Ford I di 36%203.jpg U.jpg d in the '70s

550Coupe likes this.
  11. Here's how NOT to modify the "X".in a 33-34....this was my 33 pickup when I bought it. 33bee4.jpg