Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Bubbletop pot stirring

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Larry T, Aug 15, 2015.

1. Larry T

Larry T

I was reading the Model A thread and saw that there are no A five window coupes, since there were no 3 windows before that (yea, I know the arguments against the statement). I can agree with that.

So based on that, I guess there are no GM bubbletops before 1962, right? They were just hardtops.

2. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

that's the way I remember it back when, guys only referred to the '62's as "bubbletops" when I was a young guy. Like so much of the terminology we used (gasser for instance) it has become bastardized in recent times...

3. stlouisgasser

stlouisgasser

I've never liked the term "bubbletop" to describe the 61-62 Chevys. That word wasn't used until the very late '70's/early '80's to differentiate the Bel Air Sport Coupes from the Bel Air Sedans. Before the word "bubbletop" came into vogue, I had actually heard them called "fastbacks" or "big window" Bel Airs. If somebody has 1960's-era printed evidence of '62 Bel Air Sport Coupes being called bubbletops, I'd love to see it!

4. slammed

slammed

Bastardized is what is done to the stock vehicle once the modifications start. I call my '61 a bubble top. You see what some call a 'hot rod' today?

5. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

I thought the original bubble tops were 49/50 Olds coupes. Back in the 60's we just called them Bel Airs. I don't have a clue as to when the 62 Bel Airs started being called bubble tops but it's very common now.

6. stlouisgasser

stlouisgasser

Anybody have an approximate time frame when '32 Fords became known as "Deuces"?

7. I hate to think how these terms will be used in 100 years time. :eek::D

8. like Ford in 1963 using the 62 top early then the later 63 1/2 top.....seems Chevy did the same with the 61 top they used in 62 on the BA's.....most folks don't know what trim is.....