Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Drum brake replacement

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by poss51kustom, Aug 8, 2015.

1. poss51kustom

poss51kustom
    from ohio

I have a 51 Plymouth kustom that has the stock drum brakes up front. I know that this may sound stupid, but I am wondering if I can replace the lousy mopar brakes with drum brake from another car ? Can I just redrill the backing plates to fit the Plymouth spindles, etc. ?

2. 1936dodge

1936dodge

Had several Mopars like that.Pretty good brakes if adjusted right.If you want really good brakes go with discs.I did on my 36 Dodge and they work great.

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They aren't fun to work on or adjust but do it right and they work pretty well. I don't know of anything that would be self actuating drum brakes that would be a bolt on or bolt on with minimum of effort. You might ask over on http://www.allpar.com/ in the proper vintage section. Some good Mopar brains on that site.

4. poss51kustom

poss51kustom
    from ohio

Thanks for the responses.............. I just discovered a web site called rustyhope.com that sells kits
    for old mopar front brakes. I talked with a guy at a cruise who installed one on a 47 Plymouth and he said it works great. I just ordered one for my self. thanks again