Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Problem with receiving parts from member "Gone Wrong"? See here.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by qzjrd5, Aug 11, 2015.

1. qzjrd5

qzjrd5
    from Troy, MI

If you recently purchased any parts and have not had them shipped to you from Gone Wrong (aka Terry), I'm was right there with you until this past Saturday.

I finally just made a trip down to Florence, KY to pick them up this past weekend. I didn't tell him I was coming. I called the local police ahead of time, and had them meet me at his address. Luckily he was home, and with the help of a very friendly officer, he provided me my parts.

Everything is in a storage unit a half mile away from his house. Nothing looked ready to ship, which was what he had stated in his ads.

Anyway, relieved I was able to retrieve what I paid for (although I didn't get the shipping $ back). Just a heads up to anyone else who could be in the same situation. I've never had issues with anyone on the HAMB before, but there's a first time for everything.

Ryan also has his info now.

Mike

2. yruhot

yruhot

3. yruhot

yruhot

Glad you got your parts, I'm still waiting for a exhaust Flange to be watter jetted by some guy at something farms.. Been over like a year ago. Several calls and lots of excuses and the no response at all. He was nice enough to cash my check though. Well you never know. Price wasnt bad either. Who knows. yruhot

4. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Like Ronald Reagan said, "Trust, but verify". If you're going to pay a significant amount of money for a part you can't look at in person, ask for some feedback from previous Buyers right here on HAMB.

5. I'm not sure if this is a world-wide problem, or just something in the USA. I had a number of Citroen in my past, always ordered parts from a few outfits in Europe, and the usual was "Pay me when you get the parts". Never had an issue, always paid, always got the parts. Trust may not have survived the Revolution...sad, if true.

Cosmo

6. ev88f

ev88f

There's some irony in that guy's username....
    Glad you were able to get your parts.

7. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I'd have been wary with a handle like that...dope deals with that heading usually end up riddled with 9mm slugs.

I had a similar experience with a joker in Fresno, out of the HAMB classifieds. '27 T windshield posts.
    Guy had excuses for 4 months. I finally mentioned my nephew and his M/C club, (well known in these parts) "Phil and the boys'll stop by and visit on their way back from Yosemite...they don't like the detour, but they'll tell you how much when they get there."
    My windshield posts appeared 2 days later, Overnight USPS.

daddio211, yruhot, Hnstray and 2 others like this.
  8. Guessing that club was not the "Geriatric Geezers of So. Cal."...

yruhot likes this.
  9. mike bowling

mike bowling

Frontier Justice is the answer to a lot of problems! There's a HAMBER whose signature is a Sonny Barger quote " Treat me right, I'll treat you better; treat me wrong, I'll treat you worse". Pretty GD simple if you ask me! If I was face to face with the guy, it would have been hard to just take the parts and leave I think ( but at least you got them). Lots of bottom feeders out there!

yruhot and patmanta like this.
  10. Glad you got it worked out. Had I known you were going I'd've rode along to clean up a bad deal too. I still need to take that ride.

11. I been very lucky buying from H.A.M.B. members for the 56 buick wagon.Never had a problem.Bruce.

12. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

It was different years ago when the HAMB was a small, tight-knit community of like-minded people. It's not like that anymore. The HAMB is enormous, and outsiders and those who are not a part of the core are here among us. You just can't trust a "HAMBer" anymore based on that status alone.

Gene Boul, patmanta and flatheadpete like this.
  13. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

I got a taste of that just by posting in the Parts Wanted section. I got flooded with offers from guys who don't post anything but parts if at all, for above/high market prices, with not even a picture. Fortunately, this made the legit HAMBers a lot easier to sort out because their approach was the opposite.

14. DERPR30

DERPR30
    from HARVEY LA

CAVEAT EMPTOR

15. Kinky6

Kinky6

Sounds like Gone Wrong had himself a Gomer Pyle moment; "Well, surprise, surprise, surprise!" ;)

Back around 10 years ago, I had something similar happen. I bought some hot rod parts from a non-HAMBer outside of San Diego, paid for the parts & shipping to Alabama, and then nothing. I'd call, they'd promise, but nothing got shipped. After a few rounds of this charade, I asked Ryan if I could post about my situation on here; "Sure, why not?"

Got a reply from a HAMBer, said the guy's shop was about two blocks away from him, he'd drop by that afternoon. So this guy has been giving me the B.S. routine from clear across the country, and suddenly there's somebody on his doorstep telling him he needs to ship my stuff before the County D.A. gets involved with Internet Fraud charges, etc.

My parts arrived the next week. This still cracks me up. The power of the HAMB!

Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
    yruhot likes this.
  16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There is a somewhat large cadre of individuals who only post things for sale in the classifieds and never participate or look at the forums and most likly wouldn't have much of a clue about the stuff we discuss daily.
    Just wear a HAMB shirt to a swap meet and you can run into dozens of sellers and people buying who will comment that they check the classifieds or sell on them daily but you will seldom recognize their HAMB handle.
    As others said do your homework before sending money. See what else had to sell, see if they participate on the forums, Google the name or address they give to see what comes up. Do a search on the HAMB to see if there are any pages like this about them and contact one of us who lives in the same area to see if we know anything about them.

stillrunners and hipster like this.
  17. walter

walter

I LOVE THE HAMB!! There is nothing that is better than PUBLIC humiliation for shade characters. I never worry about buying from another HAMB guy because I know that if it goes bad there will be plenty of guys to help. Everyone I have dealt with has a High level of integrity and I don't think you will find that with any other group of people.
    Walter

yruhot likes this.
  18. roundvalley

roundvalley

Google Earth has saved me a couple of times with FNG's.

yruhot and 34toddster like this.
  19. pumpman

pumpman

I think this is great that you got your stuff, but it sure sucks that you had to burn gas and your time on a scum ball. Hopefully I'll get his.

20. stimpy

stimpy

I will only deal with Hamber's I recognize from this section , and they have to have many posts or others who recognize them . my dealings have been good this way with the stuff I got here . and with the ratings option now in place , I made sure they got good marks

21. Looks like the Boss has banned him.

I have had a lot of dealings with Hambers over the last 13 years and have been fortunate and never had any problems,but I never buy parts from member that only post in the classifieds and don't participate on any of the forums. HRP

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  22. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

so far, I have had good luck dealing with HAMBers, and I buy a lot of stuff. I have also bought from guys that only use the classifieds, and got some pretty rare stuff that way. I wont deal with someone that has been here a month, and only posted classifieds, but if a guy has been selling on here 6-7 years, and I haven't heard anything bad, hes probably going to be a safe bet, even if hes not very talkative. Even got a couple rare parts I really needed with "wanted" ads.
    No one has padded shipping or any other problems.

BrandonB likes this.
  23. mrquickwhip

mrquickwhip

I recently had problems with a transatlantic car purchase. I started a thread about it which got removed....I have no problem with that but the outcome was, the guy wasn't for refunding me my money until I emailed him enclosing details of his works email and his boss,s email....I got my refund
    I SHOULD POINT OUT THAT THIS TRANSACTION DID NOT INVOLVE HAMB IN ANY WAY

Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
  24. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have bought, sold and given away parts here on the HAMB for a few yrs with no issues thus far. I do as above--how long have they been here-do they post other than "for sale" etc

25. Bakchoy

Bakchoy
    from georgia

I have only bought two items from HAMB members and both were above and beyond. One member even shipped the part before he told me where to send the money. I still believe that for the most part you will not find a better group.

55 Ford Gasser likes this.
  26. 31ster

31ster

He ripped me off over a year ago. I bought a steering box from him that I never received. He told me it was returned undeliverable, but then he told me he send a MO to refund my money to the same address??? He didn't have an answer as to why he didn't refund it through PayPal like I paid him. He's a POS!!!!!!

27. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

I have bought and sold many parts over the years on the HAMB. I try to BUY from ALLIANCE MEMBERS ONLY, almost a guarantee NO PROBLEMS.

28. Very cool that you got your parts, sucks you had to drive so far. Nothing beats face to face when there is a problem. I bet you felt pretty good on the way home. The Police was a heads up move, wish I had thought of that years ago when in a simular situation.

29. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Nomen est omen...I hope not

30. If thats true I wont be buying anything from Ben Dover or Phil Mccracken any time soon.:)