Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects What is a 4 door '55 Olds worth?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by midnightrider78, Aug 11, 2015.

1. midnightrider78

midnightrider78

I found a car for sale that I would normally avoid like the plague because it has 4 doors, but it keeps nagging at me that I should go check it out.
    The car is a '55 Olds 4 door sedan. Running/driving. Claims it has a good interior and is very solid.
    Can you guys give me an idea what it may be worth? I know there are a lot of variables, but I want to have at least a range in mind going in. I have to ask because normally I wouldn't consider a 4 door for anything but parts and I am certain it won't be that cheap.
    Any input would be appreciated.
    Thanks

2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3. Give us a clue on this most frequently asked question on the HAMB.
    how about a picture(s).
    What amount is the owner asking?
    $400, $900, $2500???

4. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

$365 & a .22 pistol with a lump in the barrel.

5. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

A 55 Olds is a wonderful car to drive. Also very ornate. My favorite model and marque.

I have bought and sold quite a few.

In my opinion, a sedan in good condition, not showing rust, with nice paint and chrome and a good interior will bring $5-8000.

6. Without photo's it's impossible to offer a educated guess.

The preconceived stigma of a 4 door being a parts car has changed over the years,a lot of guys would rather walk than drive a 4 door,not me.

The '55 Olds 4 doors are good looking cars and if the right one came along I would be on it like a duck on a June bug. HRP

bobwop likes this.
  7. raidmagic

raidmagic

I'm with bobwop on this one. Anywhere from 4-8 grand depending on the car. Like said above, near impossible to narrow it down without more info and pics.

8. Slopok

Slopok

If it's a hardtop you won't hardly know it has 4 doors, beautifully styled automobiles.

9. midnightrider78

midnightrider78

Asking $3500 which is too much IMO. But, I get the impression that he would take a fair bit less than that because he has been trying to sell it for quite a while.

10. midnightrider78

midnightrider78

I wish it was a hardtop. The fact that it is a sedan is the other reason(besides 4 doors) that I am unsure about it.

11. midnightrider78

midnightrider78

Claims to be very solid and no visible rust in the pics I saw. Interior also is supposed to be good. Unsure about the chrome. Needs painted for sure.

12. Any more door is a sedan hard tops and post cars the same sedan wise. A mid '50s four door hard top GM is a pretty good looking for any of the marks.

I was going to say sight unseen for me it would be worth 1-2K running and driving. Running and driving is kind of a vague statement. I have been to car auctions that they drove it up on the block and the auctioneer said, "Ride it and drive it" what he failed to mention and the ring man did mention was that you had to use the e brake to stop it. ;)

13. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

needing paint, but in great shape and running good. $3000

14. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

$2500 would be a deal if it truly runs good and isn't hiding rotten floors, rockers, etc. That's if you really want a 4 dr. sedan. Tough to tell from a couple of pics and a phone conversation. Go drive it and look at it. That will quickly help your mind decide.
    Since you didn't supply pics, I'm guessing this is it?

Attached Files:

2racer likes this.
  15. midnightrider78

midnightrider78

Yep that's the one

16. acadian_carguy

acadian_carguy

I think it's a good looking car. In my opinion there is nothing wrong with a 4-door or station wagon, as long as you keep it near stock or as a mild custom. They look stupid if hot rodded.
    If it runs good and no or very little rust I would think it is worth around 2-3 grand.

17. studebaker46

studebaker46

this question comes up all of the time, it is worth what the buyer and the seller agree on and are comfortable with. if you are looking for fair market value or a good deal you are pretty much on your own

Hnstray likes this.
  18. verde742

verde742

How long is a string...?

19. Squablow

Squablow

If they're anything like a '56 Olds, the bumpers have a tendancy to rot out and it's near impossible to find good replacements. If the bumpers are nice and it really does run and drive, (assuming you'll need to check some stuff out before you drive it home), I think $2500 would be a good deal for that car. It's a pretty car, and the Rocket V8/Hydromatic is a good combination.

Cleaned up with a quick repaint and some mild custom touches, that'd be a real nice driver for very little money. And of all the eras, mid to late 50's cars seem to have the best resale when it comes to 4 doors. I'd drive that one around.

20. czuch az

czuch az

Probably a little more for the extra doors and all.
    Thats a good looking car. Whats it look like from the worm's eye view?

21. midnightrider78

midnightrider78

Fair market value is what I was trying to ascertain. I know a lot of people who will say "what the buyer and seller agree on". However, I believe that as more people with too much money&no brain get involved in the hobby, "what buyer and seller agree on" will continue to reflect less on 'worth' and more on the aforementioned traits of the buyer.

22. midnightrider78

midnightrider78

Haven't yet gone to see it in person. Still trying to decide what I would be comfortable spending and whether I really want that car or am just desperate to buy some more old cars. I got rid of all but 2 of my old cars last year. I had 8 in various states of completion prior to that.

23. midnightrider78

midnightrider78

I figured, if I buy it, I would repaint it(always loved that white and turquoise two tone they had), put chrome steelies on it and maybe dual exhaust and that's it.

24. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Nonchalant seller: "Well? How much?"
    Tire kicker: "I've got a number in my head, and if we can arrive at that number, we have a deal."

I actually used that on a car lot salesman in 1963 for a black '52 Cad Coupe DeVille, short trunk model.
    We arrived at my number! Body was nice, glass perfect. No rust. On the way home, I was concerned with its lowness on the left front and its tendency to pull to the left...
    I pulled it into my garage, jacked it up at the front cross member, and placed the stands at the side rails, just adjacent to the bell housing.
    When I dropped the Hein-Werner floor jack, the cross member dropped 3 or 4"! (driver side)
    The left frame rail was broken! (clear through the box section! 5" X 6" double channel!)

My... The 'number in my head' was so low that I merely removed both front wheels, built a temporary wood jig and hiked the cross member up, back, and 'plumb'.
    Cleaned it up, ground and arc welded it back, with 1/8" hot rolled plate 'gloves'.
    All told, about 6 hrs. labor...rattle can paint, aligned it on the flat side of the concrete floor.
    Camber shims, reset toe.
    Damned good Caddy...dropped it 4" front and back 2 days later. Realigned it. Young and energetic.
    Drove it back to Eldredge Thurman's lot a few days later, he was shocked to hear the frame was broken...when I told him I fixed it, he crawled under to look, and offered me some money back!
    I refused, saying it was a great deal, thanks! He took me out to lunch.
    Sure miss ol' Eldredge. Always in a brown Fedora hat. (like I wear)

302GMC and Hnstray like this.
  25. I had one just like it. $125 and drove it two years....

26. Budget36

Budget36

Twice as long as 1/2 it's length.

czuch az likes this.
  27. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

The buyers set the market as much as the sellers...........and 'worth' is based on what people are paying, regardless of their motives. All anyone else can say is, "it's not worth that much TO ME" !

I understand your point.........and I may even agree with it........but the market is what the market is........we can only choose to pay and play...or not.

Bargains can be found, if you look long enough and are lucky. If buying a car 'sooner' is necessary.....well.....it'll probably cost more than 'later'

Ray

28. I AGREE! Bruce.

29. Scott De Shields

Scott De Shields

Bought mine awhile back and have been working on it for a few years now, off and on. It is a Super 88 with factory power windows that all work perfectly. Rebuilt the engine and transmission along with front suspension and power steering unit and pump. Rebuilt the stock power brake unit and wheel cylinders and shoes. These cars are certainly not like a 55 Chevy to restore, parts are harder to find and costs are certainly higher but they are becoming more unique as most of them have been parted or crushed. This car is my last project to hopefully complete and helps keep my sanity after retiring.

30. studedudeus

studedudeus

Worth whatever you can get for it, or $450 at the crusher.