Register now to get rid of these ads!

LAPD The Beat magazine with LA car clubs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by creepjohnny, Dec 15, 2012.

1. Bob Holley

Bob Holley

Yes, that's Gordon Browning the officer on the left, he and Lieutenant Ron Root of Pomona P.D. were big with the "Police Advisory Council For Car Clubs." Gordon was also one of the "test drivers" for the L.A.P.D., testing new vehicles being considered for use by City of Los Angeles, he even tested Ambulances. Man, was he good at it too!
    I worked with the city on the ambulances called " G Units," out of Police Stations, then in 1970 we were all transfered to the Los Angeles Fire Department, and in years to come all became Paramedics. In that time I came to know Gordon much better, and would drop in on him after he retired, maybe every month or two at his house. He had a scrap book which included a copy of a T-Timer's News, I was sure glad to see one, so many years after I wrote a few articles for them about Girls' Car Clubs mainly in the Inglewood/Westchester area of Los Angeles County.
    Also I was the Photo Archivest for the Los Angeles Police Historical Society and Museum, and saw the mentioned magazine as well as many other issues of the Beat Magazine. Did you know that the first L.A.P.D. vehicle to have "To Protect and to serve" on it was a 1963 Oldsmobile - true. I had a 1963 Olds Jet Fire and it was a very nice car. It had a kind of "blower" system engineered by Air Research.
    One time Oldsmobile gave L.A.P.D. a 1962 F-85 to test out and see what they thought of it. Unknown to me, Gordon Browning was the test driver, and one time while I owned a 1949 Oldsmobile, I was getting on the Harbor Freeway North bound from Florence Avenue, and as I was merging into the freeway, may five cars in sight at about 10:30 at night, I saw this small car coming fast up on my left, it slowed and gunned the engine, I thought what the hell, and down went the gas peddle, we got up to about sixty five to seventy mph and he shifted to forth gear and left me in the dust hehehe, true!
    While a member of the Road Lords Car Club, we were in touch with Gordon and Ron Root.
    Hope this is interesting to someone, it was fun for me:)

2. K-88 ghost

K-88 ghost
    from Nevada

Hey Bob,
    welcome aboard, be sure look into the "old farts club" and check out
    my web site K-88 ghost.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
  3. Dagenham Dave

Dagenham Dave

I would LOVE to get a replica made of the jacket with "CAMS VALLEY" on it. Does anyone have any more images of their logo or information about that club?

4. D D

D D

I have a newly cast plaque in my garage. Where id your dad now. I have been trying to contact him. We (BHS) are having a reunion in June.

5. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

Just fixed a couple of broken links but was unable to fix the photos so I'll try again with this new post .....

[​IMG]
    Edit: For some reason I'm unable to post photos.

6. D D

D D

That looks like an original. Mine is a recast. Do you have any contact with Juke Joint Jonnie?

7. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

I have no info about this club.

I do know that Dennis O'Brien has the original pattern for that plaque and can make copies for you.

[​IMG]

chryslerfan55 likes this.