Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods I cant get the axel out to replace the axel seal?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bruce Fischer, Aug 10, 2015.

1. I am trying to replace the leaking axel seal on the olds wagon.I pulled the brake drum off and removed the 4 nuts holding the axel in place.I dropped the pumpkin cover also to see if there were any C clips holding it in place.I don't see any. All this for a crummy seal. 003.JPG Any ideas? Thanks Bruce.

2. A picture of the rear end opened up. I even moved the carrier bearing gear and no clip???? 002.JPG

3. The bearing is probably rusted into the housing.... Buy or rent a slide hammer axle puller.

40fordtudor likes this.

4. oldolds

oldolds

What he said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

5. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Take a long chain about 6 to 8 ft. and put each end on opposite studs of the axle ,now stand Bach and wip the chain like you would crack a wip this will usually pop the axle out. Used it numerous tines over the last 50 years, works better than a slide hammer.

6. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

You can try putting the brake drum on inside out, put 3 lug nuts on half way and pull it like a slap hammer. I've done this on the side of the road and it works believe it or not. Dumb question you do have the 4 flange bolts removed right? Good luck Bruce. Joe

7. Is it a late 60's early 70's gm axle? If so try pushing the axle in board to expose the c-clip

8. squirrel

squirrel

stimpy likes this.
  9. I've done this a few times also.But I use a large breaker bar in the end of the chain to use as a handle when I whip it. You go to whip it...whip it good.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  10. I watched a guy in a parking lot at the Nationals hook a chain to the axle and attached it to a floor jack,,he picked up the jack and toss it away from the car,,,out came the axle...I was amazed. HRP

JB_roadrage and lothiandon1940 like this.
  11. The chain idea works great, especially for "very stuck axles" have also used the brake drum slide hammer idea, put the drum on back to front and do up 3 wheel nuts about 3 or 4 turns.
    Then shake back and forward violently as a slide hammer, this way works for lightly stuck axles.

12. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

The second pic shows spider gear over near the ring gear and axle shaft exposed. If there is a c-clip it would be at the end of axle. I'm pretty sure if you push axle inboard (leaving spider gear in normal location) you will see that pesky little bugger

13. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

ive used the chain whip before. a real stuck axle can bend a stud if your not careful. So get the nut on there snug.

14. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's NOT a C-clip axle. Look at the second picture that you mentioned above. If the spider gear pulled that far off the splines there is no C-clip. Think about it.

squirrel likes this.
  15. terry48435

terry48435

That worked on my "60 cheby

16. BLUECOLLARKUSTOMS

BLUECOLLARKUSTOMS

I remember years ago a guy telling me about a stuck axle in a grain truck, he hooked the chain up to the studs and the other end to the bumper of a small pickup, backed up to the truck and put it in second gear and dumped the clutch....hit the end of the chain about the same time his head hit the windshield...IT WORKED

17. samurai mike

samurai mike

put the chain around the flange, make a loop on the other end. put the loop around a sledge hammer and swing it like a golf club.

caseywheels likes this.
  18. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

USE A SLIDE HAMMER TO REMOVE THE AXLE; the only time I've ever been "knocked out" was when the chain attached to an axle stud came loose and nailed be at the base of my skull. I was just trying to help my younger brother out, and he had been working at it for some time. After I "gave up" (getting knocked out will have that effect on you), one of the little neighbor kids whipped the chain, and out it came. Use the right tool, it's safer and more effective. JMO. The end of the axle could be mushroomed somewhat if it was making contact with the cross shaft. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

19. sunbeam

sunbeam

1st put the caps back on If all else fails sense the spider shaft is out pull the other side axle and use a long steel bar and drive it out from the other side.

20. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

If the slide hammer puller doesnt work or you dont have one you could try a bumber jack, place the foot of it against the trailing arm or frame and hook a chain to the other end of jack and axle, then try jacking it out......and yes I have done it but be very careful.

......also be careful not to bend the trailing arm,It shouldnt hurt it but........... I done mine against a leaf spring pack. (while hammering on the axle flange)

Last edited: Aug 11, 2015
  21. Guys the brake drum trick worked. There were no C clips holding the axel in. I am getting a new bearing and seal pressed on as we speak. Thanks to you all for your inputs. Bruce.

stealthcruiser likes this.
  22. Or snag a piece of chain about 6 foot long and wrap it behind the flange and whip it out. leave a little slack in it and stand back and jerk the slack out of it.

23. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Now you got to put all that other stuff back together, shoulda waited for a reply on here, ya know the Hamb wins!:D

24. dirtracer06

dirtracer06

Glad it worked for ya. I used the chain trick once...just watch where the hook is flailing about. .it hurts like hell when it smacks you in the shin.

25. Bruce, do you have 4 bolts holding the axle flange still to remove?
    You will need a big sturdy axle puller too.

26. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Gees, I hope not...........................

27. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

Good work Bruce! Just a little persuasion right! Joe

28. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

Just for your Information, most rear axle leaks that I have fixed. ,were due to plugged vents . Always keep them clean. A friend had a Ranger peekup and a shop put three pinion seals in it . We cleaned the mud out of the vent and it stopped leaking without replacing it again.
    Think about it ,there should be NO pressure in the rear axle housing. An axle seal does not run in constant oil.Almost any condition of seal would keep that dry.
    Check the vent,

stealthcruiser likes this.