Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features TWEETY BIRD, JIM GOVRO'S BEAUTIFUL CHANNELED 32 ROADSTER RETURNS AFTER 50 YEARS, KERVILLE DRAGS

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Tweety's Resurrection, Jul 31, 2015.

1. six flaggs639.jpg six flaggs640.jpg six flaggs642.jpg six flaggs643.jpg six flaggs644.jpg six flaggs645.jpg six flaggs650.jpg six flaggs652.jpg six flaggs654.jpg six flaggs655.jpg six flaggs656.jpg six flaggs657.jpg six flaggs658.jpg six flaggs659.jpg six flaggs660.jpg six flaggs662.jpg six flaggs663.jpg six flaggs664.jpg six flaggs665.jpg six flaggs666.jpg six flaggs668.jpg six flaggs669.jpg six flaggs670.jpg six flaggs671.jpg six flaggs672.jpg six flaggs673.jpg six flaggs674.jpg six flaggs675.jpg six flaggs684.jpg six flaggs677.jpg Bonnieville 1954 Tweety Bird's Trip Jim and Frank Barnes took these photos. Wow what a change in cars. It's great to see some of these cars still making it back to Bonnieville to run down the track again!

catdad49, Hank37, Stogy and 9 others like this.
  2. Finn Jensen

Finn Jensen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

WOW!

volvobrynk likes this.
  3. Nobey

Nobey

I'm diggin the Triumph sitting next to the air plane.....

It took you all of 5 minutes to figure out how to post, WOW....

4. X2

5. DSC_5005.JPG To the brotherhood of Hot Rodders. If you could only have seen Jim at the Lonestar Roundup.The remains of Tweety Bird scattered around paint stripped off the main shell, dolley wheels under the front cross member so I could get it off the trailer. Jim had no interest in going to the show but I knew it is a awesome story, car, builder, and the man behind it all. This is a build is too much for Jim and I. I pushed this story as far as I can make it go and it is great to just have the car home. Thanks for reading our part of Hot Rod History

6. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

did anyone notice the half tire carcasses protecting the racing tires here?

[​IMG]

7. Babyearl

Babyearl

I noticed that in an earlier photo, it did make me want to wonder???

8. I did. What size are they ? :)

tb33anda3rd, 3wLarry and volvobrynk like this.
  9. For those that don't want to wade through my The 1958 NHRA Nationals thread looking for the two videos @Tweety's Resurrection is referring to:

footage of Tweety Bird starts at the 2:46 mark

footage of Tweety Bird starts at the 4:12 mark
    ... and here's some stills captured from these 8mm film videos:

58NatsEntry009_8mmfilmPt1(2m50s).jpg

58NatsEntry009_8mmfilmPt1(3m16s).jpg

58NatsEntry009_8mmfilmPt2(4m19s).jpg

NOTE: I can't take credit for these 2 cool YouTube videos ... they were originally posted on the H.A.M.B. by Jay (@Jive-Bomber) Ward in a couple of his TJJ Blogs:

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
  10. There is another 8mm tape that has Jim drag racing Tweety Bird at the Oklahoma City NHRA Nationals. Norm Jones was on his honeymoon and talked his new bride into going to the Nationals. Norm came to the Tweety Bird coming home party. You can pull it up under 1958 Oklahoma City NHRA Nationals. It's the third video down. Jim and Tweety Bird pull up to the line at about the 10min 40sec time on the tape. If anyone knows how to link this to our site that would be awesome

11. Trying to copy to play at his start time ... which is 10:58 actually .... but can only post the whole thing evidently ...

Also says '57 in the reel ... but only one I can find. If duplicate, I can remove for you ... if you say so.

Stogy and volvobrynk like this.
  12. Thanks for posting the '54 B-ville photos, I was there also, my first trip there, GOOD memories!
    Really happy to see this one going back together as Jim built it so many years ago the JADO Coupe B-ville \'54.jpg .

curbspeed, Stogy, ric and 2 others like this.
  13. Andy

Andy

Jim, Jimmy, I hope you guys are not running out of steam.
    I would get the body back on the frame first. Leave in those cross channels and stick the frame thru the bottom of the body or firewall. The doors fit now. The frame needs notches to clear the A post braces to the sub frame. You guys have a welder? I will come over with tools and do it if needed. Use the hood and grill to set the angle of the frame to the body. Get the body mounted and start assembling. The rear suspension will go right back in and a front suspension is easy. I will even donate some spindles if you don"t have any.
    If you are going to sell it, let me have a shot. I wanted it back where it came from. I finally had figured out what to do with the car. I am way too tall to ever ride in it as built. I had bought frame parts and steel to make a low Z stepped frame so the original look was retained but the floor was just dropped down. I stopped when I knew it was going home.

kidcampbell71 and hotrodtom like this.
  14. Budget36

Budget36

I'd say put out a call for help to get you guys started again...this might be what you're trying to do, but it's kinda hard to tell.

I bet a lot of local guys would like to say "I spent a Saturday helping to bring back a '50's Hot Rod".

Best of luck, but don't give up on it, where there's a will....

15. Thanks Andy, no we are not going to sell it. So many other set backs due to issues to mom. Seems so hard to find time to start. I just feel like I'm climbing a hill with no sign of ever getting there. I will try to keep more up beat with my posts

17. Thanks so much for posting it! There is a yellow roadster two cars before Tweety Bird comes up to the line. I know where it is but chance to get it. It has set in a barn since it was bought in the early 60's

volvobrynk likes this.
  18. The half cut tire boots on the 176c car at Bonnieville are to prevent flat spots on the tires while strapped down on the trailer according to Jim. I didn't notice them until one of you guys posted it. Times have really changed

19. There used to be a dirt track just outside of Austin, Texas. The track was in Oak Hill on Archie Patton's ranch. This photo is my uncle Thurman Lovejoy on the left with his circle burner. I know where this car is but no chance to buy it back. six flaggs689.jpg

20. Very nice story and interesting reading. Keep posting.

21. I posted a parts list on the on the wanted HAMB site but don't know how to link it to this site Can anyone help me with this? six flaggs600.jpg

22. Budget36

Budget36

Here ya go, copy the following link and maybe add it as a signature line, so every time you post, it'll show up.

Parts needed for Tweety

23. We had a great two days at the Lonestar Roundup this year! Hot Rod talk was so fun. Even with Jim's car in pieces it was a hit, can't wait til it's done. DSCN1211.JPG DSCN1213.JPG DSCN1281.JPG DSCN1306.JPG DSCN1211.JPG DSCN1213.JPG DSCN1281.JPG DSCN1306.JPG DSCN1342.JPG DSCN1343.JPG DSCN1315.JPG DSCN1326.JPG

hotrodtom, Hank37, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  24. On this last photo I posted starting on the left is Robert Gay was a classmate at Austin High school of Jim's. The man seated next to Jim is Vernon McKean who did the interior in Tweety Bird in the early 1950's. the guy on the right of Jim is one of the coolest guy's at the Lonestar Roundup, Mike'Nick' Nicholas owner of Nicks Hot Rod Garage.

kidcampbell71 and hotrodtom like this.
  25. KKrod

KKrod

I believe this is the tweety bird??

GR9800.jpg

27. Yes it is Tweety Bird!!!!! What a great shot. Thank you so much for posting it and taking the time to find it. Do you have any other shots of the 1953 drags?

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  28. Looking through some more boxs of pics and came across this one. I'm going to sit down with Jim and fill in the pics with Bonnieville. Jim seems to know every car and owner and was also in the pit crew for the number 18 motorcycle. six flaggs596.jpg

brEad, hotrodtom, Hank37 and 6 others like this.