Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Shoebox C-notch

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Custompainter99, Aug 8, 2015.

1. Custompainter99

Custompainter99
    from San Jose

Does anyone make a C-notch for a 1949-51 shoebox? I am not looking for any Gambino, Jimenez Bros monster notch. I'm not gonna lay frame, I just want to be able to drop my shoebox down a little more an need to notch the frame....

2. papajohn

papajohn

You could buy some schedule 10 steel pipe 3.5 inch OD and make your own. Metals depot sells 1 foot for $12.99 plus shipping.

3. Custompainter99

Custompainter99
    from San Jose

Thanks papajohn....

4. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

I'm not a fan of just cutting out more than half of a frame's height to install a piece of pipe. I usually take a piece of 2 x 3 or 2 x 4 rectangular tubing, trim it nicely, and weld it on top of the existing frame, then cut out a section below it. For a bit extra strength, you could fishplate one (or both) side of each rail, too. That way you remove very little of the chassis' strength, and you get 3-4 inches more clearance. You'll have to put some "bumps" in the trunk floor to clear the reinforcement.

5. Custompainter99

Custompainter99
    from San Jose

Thanks chopolds...sound like what I'm looking to do.

6. ahshoe

ahshoe

Here how mine was done Same concept but seriously notched for hit the ground clearance

Attached Files: