Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What make/model is this master cylinder

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by firstgear, Aug 8, 2015.

1. firstgear

firstgear

Bought my Model A from a guy on eBay a few years ago and he has since moved so I can't contact him. He built the car. Recently after sitting for a years I moved the car and noticed the brakes very soft. Like to the floor soft.

There was some fluid under the car which I now think might have been brake fluid. At any rate the master cylinder is mounted under the car. I was able to pop the lid off and put a finger in there. Looked to be low to me.

I dropped the cylinder because it looked via a mirror to be pretty crappy inside. I was right.

So I want to get a rebuilt unit, but I haven't figured out yet what car it came out of. Anyone got an idea?

Attached Files:

2. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Ford Mustang, Maverick,Granada ect. Ask for a 78 Granada disk/drum and compare. 70 Maverick too. I would pop the piston out and see what size it is and when they look up the new one they will have that info also.

3. Looks like what was on a '78 Granada we used to have.

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Drum brakes both ends it's going to be 68/72 or so Disk brake it could be a bit later. . Not sure if it is Ford or GM but you can take to the local old been there for years parts house and match it up.

You need to match the spread of the bolt holes to bolt it on, the bore of the cylinder and the depth of the hole in the piston that the pushrod goes in. Not rocket science but most likely beyond the scope of most guys behind the counter at Autozone or O'Reillys.

5. Mark T

Mark T

I noticed that the brake lines come out facing the driver side of the car, I'm not sure about the passenger cars but I know that the Ford trucks are that way.

6. firstgear

firstgear

I am going to Summit Racing store tomorrow and take it with me.......otherwise, I was going to do as you suggested and take it to the real parts store we have locally......by the time I got it out, they were closed......grrrr....

7. firstgear

firstgear

Here is one that is very close....will need to measure things up, but I will ask them to start with this one....first MC that I found that had the large brake line fitting near the mounting face and the smaller one outboard.

It looks the same....now to find out. Also looks to be in stock at Summit! Chill find out tomorrow!

Attached Files:

8. firstgear

firstgear

Just went out in the garage and put a set of calipers in the end of the MC and I measure .938 which is exactly what the unit above at Summit measures.

Tomorrow I will measure it up the rest of the way for bolt spacing on the mount and the depth of the hole in the piston. My calipers can do that for depth.

Did I measure the piston diameter correctly? In the end of the housing?

9. The answer is...................How long is a rope?

10. firstgear

firstgear

Well....actually your answer really didn't help anything....however those that said Granada about 1979/1980 were spot on. I am glad that there are others on here that can provide helpful answers as I still don't know how long a rope is, but I do know what kind of master cylinder it is. Thanks those that shared their knowledge, it is appreciated!

tommyd likes this.
  11. You got your answer,lighten up...Tman was just messing with you. HRP

12. Lighten up Francis. That reply of mine was towards the folks spouting off what that MC was based on a picture on the internet. It can't be done 100%. The correct way is to measure the bores even then it could have come from any one of a dozen cars.

Plus, what size wheel cylinder/caliper bores do you have? I can look up a good app in the Wagner brake bible to make sure all parts match.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  13. firstgear

firstgear

And I enjoyed messing back! I actually thought my reply was elegant.....I didn't say what a butt head reply now did I?

14. firstgear

firstgear

I went to Summit Racing and they had the exact MC, I measured up the depth, the diameter and the mounting....all spot on! Granada!

In stock......if you have never been to one of the stores, they are just a bit bigger than an Auto Zone or Advance Auto, but the warehouse attached to them, well that is about 150,000 SF or more! It is huge!

They had a car show when I got there in the dark parking lot, didn't get a chance to go over and check it out, but they handed out 10% discount on anything you purchased with the coupon. Now that is a car show!

Attached Files:

15. Ol Deuce

Ol Deuce
    from Mt. U.S.A.

That master is like what we used !!! 1978 and newer Ford E150

16. LWEL9226

LWEL9226
    from So. Oregon

Twice as long as from one end to the middle....... :D

Lynn W

17. firstgear

firstgear

One of the mysteries of life solved! Good answer!

18. Still does not answer the question......................the rope and the MC. How do you even know the guy that slapped it together matched the bore size to wheel cylinders??????? Measure those up and we can see if it really is right. Myself and Elpolacko among others have been helping folks build proper brake systems here for over 15 years, just trying to make sure you are going the right direction.

19. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is an excellent point.

While the components can indeed come from all different sources, they should be matched to each other in function and size.

So, what makes up the rest of the brake system?

Oh, and the rope is 1.6678-meters.