Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest 1942 Lincoln Zephyr destroyed by semi on Michigan highway

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31Dodger, Aug 8, 2015.

1. Wow.......thank God you and your wife are ok.....Edsel had his team build one hell of a car to survive that..I hope it was insured to the moon, you and the wife heal up and get back to 100%, and get back on the road quickly.

2. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

So scary! Glad everyone is ok.

3. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

Really glad you guys made it out ok! Pretty miraculous that you didn't get hurt worse with all that tumbling!

4. 1950heavymetal

1950heavymetal

If I saw only the pics of this accident I would have assumed no survivors. It is simply amazing you and your wife survived to share your story with all of us. Will be praying and thanking God for saving you guys and for a speedy recovery. Wow those are eye opening pics of both your car & semi.

5. Luck was on your side, here's to a speedy recovery for both of you.

6. TomP64

TomP64
    from Vancouver

That is terrible to see. It was a beautiful car and i'm not sure any insurance settlement can make up for that.

Glad to hear you and your wife made it out.

7. flamecrazy

flamecrazy

Glad your both ok.

8. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Unbelievable. I am so glad that you and your wife are recovering and not badly injured. It was so close to going another way.

I would have your lawyer hand the truck owner's insurnace company a copy of the picture at the top of the thread and say that, in addition to your medical bills and compensation for your pain and suffering, the settlement will include a car exactly like the one pictured.

djr041060 likes this.
  9. barry2952

barry2952

Here we are 2 years later and some of our physical problems have eased, but my wife's PSTD from the crash prevents us from traveling.

The truck driver was found guilty of "Causing a permanent bodily injury" and kept avoiding prosecution by not showing up for court dates, but she's on the hook now.

We were fully compensated for the car and we settled with the truck's insurer for a considerable sum of money.

The only thing that still pains me is the idiots that use our survival to tout how safe old cars are. I wish they would stop because the car itself caused all our injuries. The only thing that saved us were the seat belts.

10. Gman0046

Gman0046

A scary crash for sure. Thank God y'all survived.

Gary

11. barry2952

barry2952

Thanks for the kind words, but the laws of physics are what saved our lives. That's what I thank.

12. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Wow. Quite a story. Glad you and your wife are ok.

13. barry2952

barry2952

The car hurt us much more than helped us. Who really cares if the car survived?

Chrisbcritter, K13 and upspirate like this.
  14. butch27

butch27

Glad to hear that you are doing O.K.

15. Quick recovery! And God Bless!

16. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

I think that the solid built Lincoln was part of the reason you survived. I have seen many roll overs that have a pancaked roof and that is not good for your body.

17. Call it guardian angels or call it fate, this tale of survival is amazing to me. In the early 1950's, when I was 9 years old, I lost my mother in a truck-on-car wreck. No seat belts and no safety interlock doors, it was common for people to be thrown from their vehicles. The opposite happened with my Mom. Her Nash survived and was repaired but she didn't.

I too am happy that no one was badly hurt in this case. It could have been a much sadder story. God bless and Happy Highways everybody.

18. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

My sentiments exactly, and I don't like Expressways either, but sometimes they are a necessary way to go unless you're in a town where you are familiar with the surface streets. As an example, I live South of Atlanta, but most of my hot rodding friends and club members live on the North side. I refuse to take either of my hot rods thru downtown Atlanta or around the perimeter, I285, during a rush hour. Not quite as bad once you get out of the metro area or not rush hour.
    Barry when you say the truck driver is "on the hook", I hope if she ain't in jail, she is at least never again allowed to have a CD license or otherwise drive a big rig.

ebfabman likes this.
  19. barry2952

barry2952

That's foolish. The car did nothing but hurt us. We flipped 5 times in the air and landed on the passenger side and merely rolled another 1/4 turn and the roof still caved in.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  20. barry2952

barry2952

The worst that can happen under Michigan law is 90-days in jail, a $500 fine and loss of the CDL for one year. With this on her record a trucking company would be foolish to hire her.

21. barry2952

barry2952

I'm sorry for your loss. You understand that it's about the occupants, not the inanimate car.

22. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I'm glad you and your wife survived and are doing somewhat well.

23. Yes, I do understand that. I thought I made that clear in my post but maybe I wasn't clear enough. My point was, it easily could have been worse for the occupants but I'm glad these folks are still with us. I'm just dumbstruck by those photos. Wow!

24. barry2952

barry2952

I meant that clearly you understand.

These are the State Police accident scene photos. No blood, but lots of twisted metal. The trailer passed the investigation of the brakes, but 2 of 3 axles on the semi failed. That's why all the brake photos.

http://s244.photobucket.com/user/barry2952/library/Accident pictures?sort=3&page=1

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  25. barry2952

barry2952

Thank you.

26. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

I agree with you Barry, regarding the safety of these old cars we know and love. I don't think for a second that our highway fatality rate has dropped so much in the last 35 years because people have become better drivers. It is because cars, on the whole, are safer in an accident. Wishing you and your wife the best.

barry2952 likes this.
  27. barry2952

barry2952

This truck was a '92, I believe, too old for accident avoidance, but not too old that it didn't have cruise control set at 65.5. The black box showed no brakinging whatsoever, just a swerve at the very last moment before the right wheel of the truck ran up the left side of my car, using it as a ramp that tipped it over and crushed my gas filler neck connection. The impact spit us out like a Tiddly-Wink.

41FordVert likes this.
  28. OIC, I gotcha now. I think I just experienced one of those internet, cyber things where the meaning and intent get fuzzy because.... no body language. I'm thrilled to be having this dialog with you. I wish you strength to deal with the post traumatic stuff and conflicting emotions you've got to be having. You and yours are in the thoughts and prayers of everyone who knows of this incident.

barry2952 likes this.