Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1954 Pontiac Star Chief frame question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by snoracer, Aug 9, 2015.

1. snoracer

snoracer

I have a 1954 Pontiac Star Chief, and I am thinking about putting a later model frame under it to improve the ride and handling etc. Not to mention being able to get replacement parts a lot easier. Anybody have any suggestions for what will work? Stock frame is 124" wheelbase and 59" tread width.

2. junkman8888

junkman8888

Greetings! There isn't any late-model vehicle that can be used as a direct replacement for your original frame, they are either too short in wheelbase or too wide in track, or both. If you have the money have a custom frame fabricated by someone like Art Morrison, the next alternative is a Mustang II frame stub. If you want to do it on the cheap the best choice is to clip your frame using the front frame section from a 91'96 Caprice as it has a track width around 60", has big pattern GM hubs. Best of luck with your project.

3. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

The only frame that will fit a 1954 Pontiac without modifications is a 1954 Pontiac frame. :)

I'll bet it would ride pretty well if you simply rebuilt what you already have, and that would be a lot easier than tearing the car apart to make some other frame fit.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  4. I second the idea of re-building the existing front and rear suspension.If you must have disc brakes you can use the Scarebird adapters Kanter has the front suspension pieces and Eaton can supply you with new rear springs.That would be a damn sight easier than finding;modifying;and installing a later model frame.

Atwater Mike likes this.

5. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

No matter what you try to put under it, it won't be any where near as strong or rigid as the factory, nor will it support the body as the factory item did. The idea of a Pinto front end is laughable ...
    The post down below here suggesting a '54 Chev is the same is bad info ...

Last edited: Aug 9, 2015
    Atwater Mike and F&J like this.
  6. F&J

F&J

Sooo many S10 frame swaps means plenty of dirt cheap s10's missing their frames.

I picked me up a fairly nice one and put a 32 frame under it. The bolts all lined up pretty close.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  7. FIDDLER

FIDDLER
    from VIRGINIA

THE 54 IS NEARLY IDENTICLE TO THE 54 CHEVY.. THESE ARE EASY TO REBUILD PARTS ARE CHEAP, AND LOTS OF TIMES SOMEONE WILL HAVE NOS ON EBAY REALLY CHEAP. THESE CARS RODE GOOD .ALSO REMEMBER EARLY CORVETTES USED THE SAME COMPONENTS .. GOOD LUCK GOOD RIDING

8. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Parts are not that hard to find.Often NAPA can get what you need.They put 70-100 thousand on them when they were new/used cars.Save the hassle

9. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

Frame swap is almost never, ever worth it.

Rebuild all the suspension and steering. Parts are available from California Pontiac Restorations, Kanter. Some stuff can even be had from RockAuto and chain stores, but you always have to double check them.

Once you have everything in good condition, you can convert to disc brakes if you desire. Kits are available for front and rear.

10. Having owned a BUNCH of 50s Pontiacs, I can say the original suspension can be made to ride pretty damned good. I usually cut 1.5 to two loops off the stock coil springs and use 3" lowering blocks in the back. The shortened coils give a firmer ride which makes the car handle better. Use quality shocks and make sure the shock and sway bar bushings and links are in good condition. [substituting a 1.25" 70s 55WAGON.jpg trans-am sway bar makes a slot-car out of the old Poncho] Garry Burger [worked for Rodder's Digest] used a 605 GM power steering box in his 55 Pontiac...took some fabrication and welding but was a nice upgrade while staying with genuine GM parts..
    BTW, 54 Pontiac and 54 Chevy frames are like girls and boys...completely different and not one part of one will interchange with the other......chev used a "top hat" design frame with ladder construction while Pontiacs used an open channel design with a big X-member in the middle....might as well be comparing chevy with packard..
    The 59" Pontiac is pretty wide for the narrow Mustang II transplant. I'd rather go with a camaro/nova subframe graft for my car. Your mileage may vary.

Rockys56_57pontiacs.jpg