Register now to get rid of these ads!

Upstate NY loses a great guy...RIP Marty

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldandkrusty, Jun 7, 2011.

1. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

Yesterday was one of the saddest days in my rather long life. We lost Marty Pierson, who ran Marty's Chop Shop in the very small town of Hall, NY for nearly 30 years. That horrible rotten disease cancer took him from his rodding pals and his wife Patty, daughter Emma and son Greg at the very young age of 53.

Marty had been involved in the builds of so many cars from this area, as well as many many cars from locations far from Hall. He was the best metal fabricator I've seen who worked with almost no special tools whatsoever. He had no English wheel, nor shrinker/stretcher, nor planishing hammer, yet he could make anything he desired with just a hammer and a mig welder. He resurrected my '33 Buick 90 series Victoria after it sat in a restorer's garage for 12 years until the restorer said "uncle", this one can't be saved. Marty said let me have it and he made it into an award-winning one of a kind hot rod. He was a genius.

However, the thing about Marty that I am going to miss absolutely the most is his little grin that he would flash to all of his friends and his absolutely unassuming personality. He always had time to sit with someone and to share his knowledge. However, he never ever got full of himself. He was the best person that I ever met, and it was my pleasure to have known him for as long as I did.

Marty, I am going to miss you till the day that I shuffle off this planet. You enriched my life so much that I have to be lucky beyond belief that I knew you for the time that I did.

RIP, my friend...

2. Sorry for the loss of your FRIEND! My condolences to his family as well.

3. Very sorry to hear of your loss. My condolences to you and the family, TR

4. 100% Matt

100% Matt

RIP,, sounds like a great guy and a true blue craftsman.

5. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Been by the shop I think a number of times while transporting vehicles for the dealership I work for. Always wanted to stop and stick my head in to see what was going on but was always on the bosses dime so I didn't ever stop. thee was always some interesting stuff around the shop.

Sad when folks get taken too soon. Condolences to his family friends and customers.

6. Ford52PU

Ford52PU
    from PA

sorry for your loss, sounds like a great guy, much too young.

7. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

That is truly sad, Marty was a top notch fabricator.
    My aunts live in Rochester and the only time I went to visit, we took a trip to the finger lakes and watkins glen. On the way we saw the shop.. Martys CHop Shop I believe it was called. I stopped in when I noticed all the hot rods in the parking lot. He was very genuine and friendly and took the time to show me (a complete stranger) what he was working on. He was making a frame out of 1/4 in round stock for an custom air cleaner,, he had a fantastic talent and he did excellent work. I have some pictures somewhere. I was hoping to visit him again, I am very sad to hear and I sadly give my condolences to his family.

John

Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  8. ramrod36

ramrod36
    from Upstate NY

Marty was a true craftsman and a visionary in the car hobby. He was also a friend. He and Patty hosted a great open house for many years in January and more recently changed to a show in August that was on my must attend list. Losing Marty is not only a loss to those of us who knew him but a loss to this great hobby of ours. Please keep Marty's family in your prayers in this most difficult time. Rest in peace, Marty. You were (and still are) an inspiration.

Larry

9. Tony

Tony

I heard the news via a note from Dat Dirty Rat and was sickened once again with yet another loss.
    I've met Marty many times, and can say he's always treated me with respect, which at times seemed non existent when you are a younger guy "playing" in this hobby.
    My heart go's out to his family and friends.

You left a hell of a mark Marty and were taken much, much to soon..
    God speed..

Tony

10. Dat Dirty Rat

Dat Dirty Rat

This is a HUGE loss to our hobby/lifestyle....He has touched and inspired so many people over the years....We lose yet another HAMBer.....You will be greatly missed my friend!!

R.I.P

11. olds vroom

olds vroom

Im soory to hear about Marty i used to live down the road aways from his shop and always admired the cars he had around . He will be truly missed

12. wdl182

wdl182
    from New York

I lost my friend yesterday and I cried. I felt fortunate to tell him I loved him and he said the same to me. He will never be forgotten.
    He was a true master craftsman who learned on his own and was willing to help anyone.
    He loved his family, and those of us that were close felt like family.

Still Cutting 'em Up ..... Up There!

13. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

Just got back from Marty's funeral today. He went out in style, as his coffin was loaded into the back of a Chev PU that he had built. A bunch, I mean a BIG bunch, of cars that Marty had built fell into line behind Marty and the short trip to the cemetary went off without a hitch. After that we all gathered at the local volunteer fire department where Marty volunteered to have a bite to eat and to share our great memories of Marty.

While I'm trying to keep a light touch to this note, believe me it is very difficult to do. To say your final goodbye to a very dear friend just sucks...

14. slammed

slammed

Nice tribute, he sounds like a good soul.

15. VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

They don't get any better than Marty. A true craftsman. A true visionary. A GREAT
    GUY. As mentioned prior, Marty could take a sheet of metal and make anything. I am out of state and saddened to hear the news. Condolences to the family.

VR&C.

16. flyboyz

flyboyz

Marty rest in peace! Your work and friendship will be missed by many. I upholstered some cars for marty over the years and had just talked to him recently about doing a car. I was very saddened by the news of his passing.a true builder who wasn't afraid to cut em up.later on ol buddy.
    Flyboyz

17. ElCaminoDave

ElCaminoDave

I worked for Marty for a little over a year and have been friends with his son and family for many years. He was truly a legend in the area. The work he could put out form his little 3 bay shop is astounding. We will all miss him dearly

18. VectorGES

VectorGES
    from Conway, SC

I used to drive through Hall on the way to the wineries when I lived in Canandaigua. His shop was always part of the tour. Great stuff sitting around. I never met him, but I admired his work. I also remember an old COE parked in a field across the intersection near his shop. It's probably still there.

19. Da Flash

Da Flash

Hello,
    I live in Oregon but grew up in New York state and the finger lakes. I met Marty in 1999 while passing through to my brothers place on the lake. Your right, he was a great guy and built a lot of beautiful cars, many of which were in the major car magazines. At the time he had an old Chevy pick up with cut lines around the top indicating a future chop.
    My thoughts to his family,
    Dale Moreau

20. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

RIP......I freakin HATE Cancer

21. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

Thot I would share the photos from my trip when I visited Marty's Chop Shop back in 2004 DSCN5124.JPG DSCN5125.JPG DSCN5126.JPG DSCN5127.JPG DSCN5128.JPG DSCN5129.JPG

22. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Sorry to hear about Marty. Seems like he was a hell of a guy. Quite a bummer ... Cancer sucks !!