Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 62 Impala Garage find.....Kinda out of my element...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Littleman, May 14, 2011.

1. c57heaven

c57heaven

thanks for the update.
    I'm sure you know but....I'll say it anyway... make sure he doesn't grind off the engine stamping.

2. porkshop

porkshop
    from Clovis Ca

Any new news on this? Thanks John

3. Moneymaker

Moneymaker

Hell I'm a Ford guy and I'd give $15k for that thing all day any day

4. Damn, this is so frekn' cool. Nothing to add here......but man, I would love to be you.

5. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Good to see this one brought back to thee top. Since reading about this find it has brought back memories of when we held the speed end of the B/S National Record briefly with a 380 hp '62 409 Impala. Shaker Engineering out of Bay City,MI was a group of Chevrolet engineers that campaigned stock class Chevrolets in NHRA. We won the very first Junior Stock eliminator in 1964 with Phil Chisholms 1964 Chevy wagon running a 327/PG and prepared the engine for Ben Wenzels 1967 Z-28 Stock Eliminator. Fun times when your skill and attention to detail made the difference in winning and less how fat your wallet was.

Frank

6. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Love it, can't wait for more. These barn finds are great!

7. WGuy

WGuy
    from Central NJ

Any more updates on this car or the parts?

Verne

8. Nice score David!

9. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

IMG_20150630_184230_596.jpg

Bought a pair of wheels and tires for the Impala..............First time the car has made contact with the ground via it's own tires in over 48 years...........Last week I removed and installed all new upper and lower A-Arm bushings...........Need to paint the front frame rails and bolt on all of the front suspension that has not been on the car for over 48 years as well........The front suspension parts still need painted....but what was neat......every part still has the factory paint codes on them, each spindle, each spring ect. has a specific colored paint marking on them...I will paint around all them.

10. Gman0046

Gman0046

Looks great! 62's are my favorite.

11. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Its cool that you are able to save the factory paint codes. I'm also glad to see you're still working on this gem.
    Btw, what are the specs on the cam you mentioned earlier?

12. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Perfect wheel&tire combo! That ought to get the juices flowing. What sizes?

13. slowmotion

slowmotion

Lookin' good Littleman. Glad you're still on, it time permitting. Chrome reverse & cheaters, giddyup!
    Watching this one with great interest. Keep the updates commin', thanks for posting.

14. belair

belair

love that wheel and tire combo.

15. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

IMG_20150726_141451 (1024x576).jpg

Attached Files:

16. This is probably the coolest find ever! I'm not much of a '60s car guy but this is THE '60s car I have always wanted. So rad to have those photos and trophy as well!

17. rockfish

rockfish

I'd also like to know the size and brand of the rear tires as well as the rim width. Thanks.

DBruce likes this.
  18. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Hi Dave

Boy you sure have a great starting point there, I was building my 37' gasser and hanging out at Bob's Big Boy in Van Nuys when those factory hot rods were being built and did they ever sound great with that factory hi-po cam & exhaust plus the stamped steel rockers And covers . Lots of neat ticky- ticky - ticky sounds

You knew it was a hotrod you were hearing, and then they hauled ass too

Sure looking forward to seeing it up and running again

You should try to use that factory engine stuff for the original sound, as that was a special time that will never come around again and it is ' Priceless '

BTW just saw your web and i'am loving your fab work on the J car, great shift levers !!!!!!

Have fun , Don

Kevs56 and loudbang like this.
  19. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

Rims are Wheel Vintique 15x8 w/ a 4.250 BS.........Towel City Cheater Slicks 15x9x28.5.............The original duel exhaust bends into the rear wheel wells, these clear them.......bolting theses on I had to jack the car up and support the frame and lower the jack under the axle relaxing the rear suspension to get them on...........

bowie likes this.
  20. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

I just now found this thread. Man what rock have I been hiding under! As a previous owner in the '70's of a '62 Impala that I replaced the 283 with a 2-4 409 I am all over this now. Thanks for saving it and I know its in good hands.

DBruce likes this.
  21. VeroWing

VeroWing

WOW! Great find in amazing original condition! Enjoy your restoration!

22. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

I got the front coil springs into place.............Having hard time thou finding someone that can tell me if the steering box was either painted black or left bare steel..........I am finding out that some think they restored their car..........but just painted everything whatever.........restored to me is how it rolled off the assembly line.........I am thinking the steering box and all of the front steering rods and ends were all bare steel, if they were one could use a flat clear over them............Anyone have any knowledge about this..........I have found restoration color code charts, it states the steering rods are natural steel, but nothing is written about the box itself..........I did paint everything black already based on the info from a Impala guru........but I think it was bad info and should have double checked the info........Everyone tells me to bolt it all together painted black for it would not hurt it..........I can always make them bare again............Thanks, Littleman

IMG_20150823_163941 (1024x576).jpg

low budget likes this.
  23. town sedan

town sedan

This is very cool. When I was a kid in the early to mid 70's there was a '62 or '63 409 that I'd see every once and awhile, typically at the ball park on the west side of Lawrence Ks. Use to love hearing that thing rumble past. Like I said this is VERY COOL.
    -Dave

24. slowmotion

slowmotion

My guess (& only a guess) would be cast on the box & steering components. Black probably has been deemed acceptable by most, but I don't see the factory spending the time & money to do that. Thanks for the update.
    (BTW I got the same creeper/rug, re-purposed it the same as you:D)

25. patman

patman

26. Can't speak for sure on the steering box in that car, but a lot of the other Chevy's in the sixties (Corvettes, Chevy II's, Camaro's) had bare metal boxes, so I'd be willing to bet it did too. Awesome story so far!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

27. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D:eek: Hi Littleman.Outstanding find.Please keep the updates coming.Thanks.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

28. dlshady

dlshady

Littleman, We have a 63SS that my mother received as a graduation present in 1963 and has never been apart. The steering box and tie rods & tubes were all left bare in their natural state, as was typical for all GM cars of that era. If a steering box received black paint, it was more than likely done after the fact at a dealership during a "blackout" process where the cleanup shop guys just ran through and rattle canned everything for a uniform look. As it left the assembly line though, unpainted. There are those "cast iron" paints these days that look close, but a good satin clear will look more natural.

I'm so glad to see you preserving this car! Is the owner still alive, and have you been keeping him in the loop as you make progress?

loudbang and DBruce like this.