Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What size steering wheel is in your "A"?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by INVISIBLEKID, Aug 8, 2015.

1. Q- What do you run? Not so much as to what style /brand, but diameter. I ask because I have a nice 17'' wheel i'de like to run. Just figuring out logistics on column= length ,tilt, etc......
    Only concern I see is close to the door might be a problem. Seating/interior space is fine with my frame(body). Plus,I prefer a bigger wheel than a smaller one,but, will have to do what's necessary.
    Thanks-Kid.

2. Imwalkin

Imwalkin
    from Tucson, Az

This was the wheel in my 29. I think it is a 17" it is from vw bus.
    [​IMG]

3. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

17 inch Ford banjo. Fits well in my coupe.

4. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I've run 40 Ford wheels(17") in a few of my builds and they worked well, even with big chops...

5. Got rid of the 17" 1927 Chrysler wheel that was in the car when I bought it,too big for me to drive it comfortably so I switched to an aluminum 14" model that fits the build of the car so much better and gets all kinds of compliments.

I will agree that the bigger wheel makes a manual steering car easier to drive...

6. 66gmc

66gmc

17" banjo in my rpu, with a 4" channel it felt a little cramped at first, but once I got used to it I was fine. I think the larger wheels look better than the cut down versions anyways.
    [​IMG]

7. I run a 14 inch 3 spoke original Bell wheel

9. I'm using a 15" from a Corvair not too big and not too small , good size and no tapered spline to deal with.

10. Here's mine...I had the pouches made so before my knew rested up against hard aluminum,now it feels great against the soft pouch and with my hands resting on my legs,it's very comfortable for me and also makes it very stable...I've put well over 300 miles this week alone!
    [​IMG]

Dakota.za likes this.
  11. I've got a 17" wheel from a '60 F-350, but I've made my own tilt so that I can get in and out with ease and also drive with the wheel in a more comfortable position. Model AA's don't give you much room, but its nicer to have that 17" diameter, especially with a truck.

12. I have an 18" wheel in my early A and I'm 6'2".
    [​IMG]