Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need help identifying body!!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ebraga9, Aug 8, 2015.

1. Ebraga9

Ebraga9

Hey guys I've been told that this is a 1930 dodge brothers truck. Just want to know if anyone can surely tell by these cowl lines if it is indeed a dodge brothers. Any help will be appreciated

Attached Files:

2. Ebraga9

Ebraga9

I know that this isn't liked by some members here which is fine but just wanted to see if anyone can give me some info, I'm 21 and this is my first build#

3. How about a photo of the entire cab? HRP

volvobrynk likes this.
  4. IMG_1961.jpg By the look of the exterior visor contour in the center, it used to be a 1931 Plymouth....
    The Dodge Brothers trucks are slightly different. 7af4_1.jpg

Last edited: Aug 8, 2015

5. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

Why wouldn't it be liked? Looks pretty sweet so far

6. I don't understand this statement. I LOVE me a 1931 Plymouth....or Dodge....Or DeSoto....or Chrysler. The 1931 DeSoto was VERY similar to the vehicle you are asking about except the DeSoto had cowl lamps. The Plymouth had no cowl lamps in 1931. The 1931 Plymouth and DeSoto bodies were almost the same. Does your car have an oval rear window?

7. Ebraga9

Ebraga9

I made this statement because it's a ratrod and I've been scolded on here before for even using the term haha. And thank you guys for info and I'll put a whole cab pic in a few when I get hom. Check back later because you guys are giving me good info already and I appreciate it!!

8. Here is a 1931 Plymouth body with the visor removed. Notice the firewall pattern and hood brace mounts viewattachment-2.JPG ....just like yours....

9. Ebraga9

Ebraga9

Here's some more pics

Attached Files:

10. F&J

F&J

It's a cut down 4 door sedan from what I can see.

11. Ebraga9

Ebraga9

Thanks 31 dodger!!!! Great info... I'm wondering if my cowl lights are original? If so maybe it's a desoto then??? I don't know if the cowl line in front and firewall are the same like plymouth??

12. Ebraga9

Ebraga9

And thanks inked monkey!!

13. Damn, I missed the holes in your cowl for the cowl lamps. Yes...by the rectangular rear window and the cowl light holes, it is a 1931 DeSoto sedan body. DSCF1392.JPG .

14. Ebraga9

Ebraga9

Why do you think that fj???

15. Ebraga9

Ebraga9

Desoto didn't make trucks?

16. The width of the door will determine if it was a coupe or sedan. Got a door width dimension? I cannot imagine someone cutting a coupe body in order to shorten it, so I believe F&J is correct.

17. DeSoto DID make some trucks, but not in 1931. By the way....I don't really see yours as a rat rod.

18. Just as a side note....the 1931 Chrysler CM6 body is similar, but is slightly wider and has upper cowl vents.

19. Ebraga9

Ebraga9

And ok I thought they did but wasn't to sure! I'll have to do more research, and do you know anything about 1930 or 1931 dodge trucks. I know my bed is off a 1940 or so dodge

Attached Files:

20. Ebraga9

Ebraga9

And thanks dodger!!

21. Budget36

Budget36

Regarding Dodge PU's, '31 and '32 were the same, I forget the difference for '30's...but pick up a copy (mines around somewhere) of "History of Dodge Trucks" by Don Bunn?...IIRC, It'll help you out on the Dodge stuff.

22. Sorry....when I said the width of the door, I meant from front to rear, not the thickness. The coupe doors are longer (wider) front to rear than the sedan doors. I also see from the last photos that the reveal on the rear turns up at the sides. That narrows it down to it being a sedan, originally. So....it was a 1931 DeSoto sedan.

23. Ebraga9

Ebraga9

Sorry, the doors are 28" and I will definitely look up that book!! Thanks

24. The37Kid

The37Kid

I always enjoy post like this that get lots of info and correct answers within a days time. Bob

25. Ebraga9

Ebraga9

I know me to the37kid!

26. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

ratrod?...somebody get a rope

27. Coupe doors are about 34 1/2".

28. Lots of older sedans got cut down into pickups during the war years. Most were crudely done, but once in a while you find one that was done with some level of skill.

29. Ebraga9

Ebraga9

The more I'm doing research and looking at my truck I think your right 31 dodger and 38fordpickup. I think it is a desoto made into a pickup and I think it's badass and that they did a good job doing it too!!! Once I start building I will post a thread because I'm sure I'll have more questions! Thanks guys for all the help and I'll keep everyone posted!

30. 701 Driver

701 Driver

COOL..... another Desoto pickup even if mine is a 28, it felt like I was the only one building one of these. And yes mine is a cut down Four door sedan (cut down by me) I went with the Desoto as a change from all the ford body pickups, I will be following this. Cheers Colly