Register now to get rid of these ads!

Truck shakes out of 1st

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by thebandtito, Aug 7, 2015.

1. 1946 Ford truck with a camero rear end..the rear end has 4:11 gears in it and it shakes the truck bad when I take off out of 1st and reverse. .anybody know why this is..i can't figure it out

2. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

1.) If it has the original flathead, check the pre-load rods. Under the floor, alongside the transmission: they are 1/2" diameter rods, attached from the side ears on the 59A bellhousing, run back to the frontal legs of the 'X' member.
    2.) If the driveline is too long, it may be thrusting the hard bottom of the slip joint into the tailshaft.
    3.) If none of these, put the truck in low gear, (engine off, parking brake released) and rock the truck fore and aft. If rear axle is loose (anywhere it is 'secured', 'U' bolts, spring ends, wishbones, 4 bars, etc.) that would result in a 'shaking' from dead starts.

Reason for the wide #3 was that you didn't mention engine, trans, or how rear was mounted...
    Did I hit it? :D

3. burdie5533

burdie5533

I would check the pinion angle and orientation of the u-joints. There is more torque getting the truck rolling and something may be binding. I had a driveshaft 45 degrees off on the u-joints that did this. Finally broke the transmission.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

302GMC likes this.
  4. It's original motor and 3 speed tranny..with a camero rearend..i was told that the gears are to high (4:11)..i will check all the things you guys mentioned later this week when I get up in my lift..thank you

5. Budget36

Budget36

Ford quit with the Anti Chatter rods when they went to open drive in the PU's in '42.

Could this be as simple as a clutch slipping?

PS

Gear ratio is fine, the truck probably came with those gears originally, or lower (higher numerically).

6. I'm not sure if the clutch is,slippin..it's fine in 2nd and 3rd

7. Budget36

Budget36

Well, if you can't tell, it's hard to figure over the internet (IMO)...I'm in Oakdale if you'd like to make a run with it down here for another set of eyes, but hopefully there are HAMB folk a tad closer to you as well...just trying to save you "shop rate"...if it is a clutch issue, shouldn't take but a few hours to change, you bring parts and beer:)

8. does the truck have a two piece driveshaft?

9. APACHE FS

APACHE FS

Rough flywheel or warped disc, it will chatter like that on take off. Probably wear in or might just shake on occasion after awhile. Worn/weak pressure plate will do it too
    Sounds worst when the whole bed shakes :)

Last edited: Aug 7, 2015
  10. It has one peice drive shaft..

11. fordor41

fordor41

ford used 3:54, 3:78 & 4:11 gears. Sounds like clutch/flywheel

12. Budget36

Budget36

Trucks came with 3.54's and 3.78's?

13. Tn. Trash

Tn. Trash

I had an off topic Ford (70) do the same thing, had hairline cracks in the flywheel.

14. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

I'd bet on clutch issues like worn or oiled-up components. Oddly worn flywheel can do it too.

15. bgaro

bgaro

it says clutch to me too. flywheel glaze?

16. It sounds like terminal clutch chatter. Did it do it with the old rear? A steeper ratio could make the problem worse. How is the pilot bushing, badly worn it could be the cause.

17. I'll jump in on the clutch chatter bandwagon too.

Surface the flywheel

18. Biggest part of the labor on a clutch job is dropping the trans and bellhousing and putting them back in, so the labor is about the same whether it's done right or done halfway. Plus, if you do it right the first time, you don't have to tear it down again any time soon. I agree that it is a clutch and/or flywheel issue. Make sure you don't have a rear seal leakinig and getting oil on the clutch. Take your flywheel to a good machine shop and get it resurfaced and checked for cracks. Replace all clutch components including the pilot bushing and throwout bearing. Also, check your driveshaft to make sure the U-joints are not out of phase, which would cause binding and vibration, but I think you'd have unbearable vibration all the time that would be worse at higher speeds if it were a driveshaft issue. You might have something else in addition to clutch/flywheel issues, but you definitely have clutch/flywheel issues.

19. pilot bushing is worn

20. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Clutch Chatter , is my bet . I have never had any luck with anything but OEM clutch parts and no chatter in a Ford . Aftermarket has chattered , did nothing but replace with OEM stuff and smooth as silk