Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical engine swap

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by stovebolt-ron, Aug 7, 2015.

1. stovebolt-ron

stovebolt-ron
    from bedford,in

I'm having trouble putting a chev 350 into my 55 plymouth the oil pan interferes with the steering linkage I tryed to modify the pan but now the oil pump pick screen is in the way I cant lift the eng any higher any ideas I hope thank you

2. Dry sump

Oldmics

volvobrynk likes this.
  3. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

Why would you do this?
    Someone give you an engine?

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have to agree on this one. 360 Mopars are so easy to find why would you stick a Chevy in it and cut the value in half? I like 350 Chev engines and have the pieces to build at least three in the garage right now but in the long run you are working at building a rig that has little or no resale value and will no down piss every Mopar guy in the county off.

Drunk Man and 73RR like this.
  5. stovebolt-ron

stovebolt-ron
    from bedford,in

I can not find a 55 plymouth engine and i have seen lots of mopars with 350 in them

6. stovebolt-ron

stovebolt-ron
    from bedford,in

I did it because its mine and yes someone gave me 2 350s want one ?

Hdonlybob likes this.
  7. RiffTannen

RiffTannen
    from Chicago

Take a look at SBC pans for early Novas - 1962 - 1964. They have a notch in them for the steering linkage. Like the attached photo. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1438956887.788622.jpg

LOU WELLS likes this.
  8. This is what I was going to suggest ^^^ and the pan comes with its own pan specific pickup.

9. RmK57

RmK57

The oil pan will cost more than the 350 engine. People will go through all sorts of aggravation to to stick sbc where they shouldn't be.

Drunk Man and 73RR like this.
  10. 73RR

73RR

11. i mentioned Butch's in my first post because their website said the offset motor mount kit cleared the steering....i assume that meant the stock steering box

there is no mention about oil pan/tie rod interference

maybe you could give them a call for advice why your setup is not working...it may be the position of you motor?

12. sunbeam

sunbeam

I've seen SBCs made to look like a Hemi but I've never seen a Hemi made to look like a SBC.

13. I don't hate SBCs, I've owned several... however spending $$$$ to force a jellybean into a peanut shell just doesn't seem...
    oh hell never mind listen to psychoratbilly he'll tell you how it was back in the day

luckythirteenagogo likes this.
  14. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

First off, I'm a Chevy guy through and through but they're right, you can probably grab a 360 or even a 318 for the same cash or less than you're gonna spend trying to get that 350 in there.

15. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

Psycho, relax it's cool. At least you're big enough to admit you don't know everything and are willing to learn. That is BIG step in the right direction. I see that you are new, so welcome and I'm going to give you a little tip. A lot of the guys on here were building cars back then, and don't mind calling you out. The other thing, the HAMB really isn't rat rod friendly. So there is a good chance you are going to be catching some attitude until people get to know you. Once you get past that, you will learn more here than any school I've found.

16. GTS225

GTS225

I'll just say this; Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Roger

73RR likes this.
  17. stovebolt-ron

stovebolt-ron
    from bedford,in

I thank all the comments pro and con ,let me say this Im useing the 350 because I cant find an original motor for it ,I have two 350 Ill will trade both for an original if you can find one for me both eng. run so the one you find must be running also ,....DEAL?????

18. 73RR

73RR

You don't need an original 55 Plymouth engine (which would be a 260inch Dodge Poly). Any of the pre-62 Hemi, Hemi based poly or A engines would bolt up to your existing v-8 bell/trans if that is of concern. Yes, even a 392 will fit in there.
    Beyond that, any post-62 A/LA and TF fits well. The circa 72 Dart exhaust manifold clears the steering column very nicely and the typical swap offsets the engine 1½" to the pass side.
    Keep in mind that if you change the trans you will lose the e-brake so start looking for a Cherokee or Explorer unit.

As for a 'swap' on the engines, you probably won't find anyone with a decent Mopar engine that would want the shiverlays...

19. stovebolt-ron

stovebolt-ron
    from bedford,in

20. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

Several years ago a friend had a 56 more door with an excellent body and interior and a frozen flathead six.. He just wanted a driver and bought a wrecked slant six pickup with a TF. I welded in some mounts for him, I think it went in easy and he still drives it. I don't think he will ever wear it out. I think he had about $300 in the swap.

21. Without castings further aspersions in the mopar / chevy war, and to answer your initial question, you might look at one of the early Chevy II pans that had 2 sumps and I believe the pickup went in the front. Went back and read the whole post again, yes, I'm talking about the same deal as porknbeaner.