Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical *** August 2015 Banger Meet - August? Already? ***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Aug 1, 2015.

1. colinsmithson

colinsmithson

This are the AER bearings
    I have used them in a number of engines from stock to wild with O/H conversion and they work very well never had a problem even with the stock oiling system
    the main thing is the machine work and setting up the thrust

Dannerr and Kjell Elias like this.
  2. thx! this is what i wanted to know! :)

Dannerr likes this.
  3. While I have not used these bearings, I have used many other production bearings.
    It takes some time to research to find some that will fit and you have to be willing to modify the width in some cases.
    To my way of thinking, there are many more options in using production inserts than specialty made short production pieces.
    IMHO, if you are going to spend any money on building up a new motor, other than a completely stock show quality one, put in the inserts and pressurize it. This will allow for proper filtration and positive oil pressure to the mains. While many argue that Babbitt is more forgiving by allowing particle ingestion, I just don't understand why you would even consider allowing it into a bearing. Many articles have been written about the use of "full flow filtration" in lube systems.
    Off on another thought, nothing says that you have to use the "A" crank. I have stuffed "B" cranks into "A" blocks with inserted bearings. This allows for using a stronger crank that can be drilled for oiling the rods and larger than "A" main bearings.
    Keep us informed on your progress, J

Dannerr likes this.
  4. Wow, scratch that "creative" idea....

5. im going to build on a model B block and crank :) probably wont do the filter tho.. it destroys the look of my car completley... :/

6. 97

I rest my case.:eek: And remember the B block has it's own problems with weaker deck and cracking.

Kjell Elias likes this.
  7. True that!
    [​IMG]
    You'd better pressure test it prior to machining, Kjell. I made a set of flanges to go on the in- and outlet, you're welcome to copy them:
    [​IMG]

8. Ship that BAD BOY to California, we are in a drought!!
    Yes, "B" deck is thinner but not unusable.
    IMHO, the benefits of "B" outweigh the "A" shortcomings.

Kjell Elias and Crazydaddyo like this.
  9. No Fing way im using a gasket to mount a head on the engine before i macine it, mye blocks are emty and laying under my shelf..

10. Hi, I just wanted to share my last few weeks of banger experience.
    After my engine blowing up in 6 miles (a month or so ago)! I put it back together using even better parts and finally got her up and put about 700 miles in the last few weeks. one trip was from Red Bluff to Woodland Ca. Midnight Mass party. I won the So-Cal pick and was invited to the HOP UP Vol 11 no. 2 issue release party. They liked it so much they did a big photo shoot and will be a full article in the No 3 issue. That was during my birthday weekend. Talk about a surprise! I didn't build it to be a show car and wasn't expecting anything but a fun party! I really built it to hill climb race in Auburn. I now plan to take the 4 to 5 hour trip to Reno.
    I really want to say thanks to the H.A.M.B.
    Joe p.s. I hope this was okay to post![​IMG]

edfueler, Winzy, Outback and 4 others like this.
  11. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Very nice car and banger. Feel free to post some more pics and tell us a bit more about that banger :) Thanks

12. I know all the other things that can be done to up HP on a Banger. Is there any rule of thumb for HP gain solely from compression.... say from stock to a 7:1. Assume a motor build to use a 7:1 (larger intakes, carb Cam etc) is down graded to stock. what is the HP diff likely to be

13. Is this save-able?

14. colinsmithson

colinsmithson

Yes that can be saved I gave seen then with 10 inch holes knocked through the side repaired
    with metal stiches decks repaired with pinning and ports repaired
    the hard part is learning to do it or finding someone who can

waxhead and Dannerr like this.
  15. rtsidejohnny

rtsidejohnny

Sandman... saw your car at the Hop-Up party in Sac. GREAT car, love the Crager head and overall look! Good job. Hope to see you and your car more.
    Cheers, Johnny (driving the primer '27 rpu parked next to you)

16. Thanks, It has full oil pressure, Kong front timing cover with a brass button. Also made brass cam bearings. I have a one off oil pressure regulator mounted over the old fuel pump hole, makes it easy to adjust the oil pressure not having to drop the pan.(learned the hard way, breaking two oil pumps due to hydro stop!) Oh yeah, dual 97 Strombergs and a Wico Magneto. It's a Diamond B block and all internal pieces are balanced, 39 gear box and a quick change rear. I'd like to keep going but kinda need to stop at that! (I plan to race it at Auburn ca.'s Hill climb race) Sept 26th.

Outback and waxhead like this.
  17. Hi Johnny, Thanks for the kind words and compliments. I moved my car a few times when the HOP UP photographers had me roaring and drifting up and down the alley behind the So-Cal Speed shop. I didn't stay parked in one spot for too long. I've never seen such an awesome bunch of cars at one shop party. I do remember your rpu. I try parking next to the coolest rides!
    Joe

18. Okay, but how? As I recall it, the cracks is along the valve guides, in the lower part of the ports- that's not easy to reach.

Keep 'em kruzin!
    Dannerr

19. chopnchaneled

chopnchaneled
    from Buford Ga.

I'd like to know also, I've got a B block, that has the same crack in #2 exhaust under the seat.

Dannerr likes this.
  20. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Any chance you could please post a picture of the Kong front timing cover?? Are these still available anywhere?? Thanks

21. orangeamcs

orangeamcs

Can we get a video of it running. I'd love to hear what it sounds like

Dannerr likes this.
  22. I made a video but it's done with my phone and it gives the engine no justice but if you want here you go!

waxhead, Dannerr and orangeamcs like this.
  23. Hi, this cover needed a lot of work. We had to make the front round piece that holds the adjustable cam button and do some machining to the gear cover. The only other one I've seen so far is a blank and has not yet been machined at all. (no holes) I'm saving on to it, for an even funner Banger engine!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

waxhead likes this.
  24. In the video is/was running a little fat. I stole these from an Edelbrock that had three, It was on a sbc 400 so the jets are size 48. That explains why she ran so good down in Sac. I should be using size 44 here in Red Bluff. And to make the trip to Reno maybe size 40's
    I just ordered a bunch of jets so I can tune her on a dyno.
    That Wico mag has no problem burning all that fuel though!
    The plugs and the exhaust tip looks perfect, but I'm sure she'd be a little funner to drive on the street after getting her jetted right, especially with over 600 lift!

25. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

just an "avatar" change ........... steve

26. Oh, I'm going to miss seeing the cool banger avatar!

27. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

so am I , but no banger ... AV8 ..........

28. Makes sense. ;)

29. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Getting ready to button up the Zipper and head for Georgetown Thursday. I have a neighbor that ran the restoration shop at Nethercutt and moved on to the General Lyon's collection before opening his own shop in Mesa. He's retired and lives down the street from me. Rejetted the English Stromberg 97 from .043 to .046 for the Speedster Reunion where I had 60 HP at the rear wheels on the dyno. Asked my friend to help me tweak the carb and timing. He discovered that the Stromberg idle needle valves were defective. Same thing on another English 97. Along with about 60 different jets, he found some old needle valves in his tool box and we used them instead. The Stromberg needle valves are scored on the ends and the engine will continue to run even when the valves are screwed all the way in. I have a Stromberg kit coming Monday from Summit and will see if they work. I'll also post some pictures of the different needle valves we were dealing with. Put the .043 jets back in.

30. I sent My 97's to Uncle Max in Utah, They are like new now and he's sending a couple sets of 44's I'm sure I have more than 60HP though. :D[​IMG]

Outback and Dannerr like this.