Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1958 Edsel Ranger W/Auto Trans Wiring Diagram

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mlagusis, Aug 4, 2015.

1. mlagusis

mlagusis

So I have a 58 Edsel that I have been working on for the past two years. Not as much time as I would like to spend but we all know how that goes. Anyways, I pulled the engine out 2 years ago for a rebuild, finally put it in and discovered that the pieces of tape with pen markings showing what went where is no longer legible.

I have most of the wiring put back to where it should be but there is a ground wire on the cross member (passenger side) that is about a foot long and I can not find where the other end attaches to. Do any of you know where it is supposed to go?

Also, does any one know where I can find a wiring diagram for a 58 Edsel Ranger with an automatic/teletouch? I can only find a diagram for an Edsel with a 3 speed od and some of the wiring does not even come close to matching.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

2. mlagusis

mlagusis

Crazy Steve, thanks for the response...I do not think I was clear. I need the engine wiring diagram for an Edsel with a teletouch. The only engine wiring diagram I found is for a car with a 3 speed od which does not match totally to my car.

3. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

4. The ground wire off the crossmember is probably the ground for the selector motor.

5. mlagusis

mlagusis

Stuart, thanks but that is the same one I found for a car with a 3 speed od.

6. mlagusis

mlagusis

You think the ground goes to the selector on the trans?

7. barnsearcher

barnsearcher
    from Ohio

I've been working on a 58 for two years. I'm pretty sure I have what you want for a diagram but...I'm 30 mile away from it now. When I get to work tomorrow Ill get it posted for you.

8. mlagusis

mlagusis

That would be awesome! Thank you!

9. There's little difference between a OD car and one with an automatic. You should have only one wire coming to the coil from the ballast resistor (you'll be missing the OD wire), and the neutral safety switch should interrupt the wire coming from the 'start' terminal on the ignition switch to the 'S' terminal on the solenoid (although this isn't 'part' of the motor harness). And of course, the rest of the overdrive wiring will be missing. All the other wiring should be the same; temp sensor, oil pressure, generator wiring. Ford pretty much used a specific 'standard' harness on every car model, then added specific 'sub harnesses' for whatever optional electrical items that were fitted.

I do. The Teletouch diagram shows a ground wire to the selector motor, that's the most likely place for it to be.

10. mlagusis

mlagusis

Thanks for your help. I looked at the diagram and saw the ground wire after you pointed it out.

BTW, I noticed you are in Washington. That is where I picked the car up...in Pasco from the 2nd owner.

11. barnsearcher

barnsearcher
    from Ohio

Malgusis

Here is what I have, I hope they open for you. This info came from a service manual by National Service Data. I found these at a swap meet a few years ago. It is the only manual I have seen that had transmission wiring in it as well. The factory had a supplement book for that. I have that if you need to know how to adjust all the linkage when you are all back together. I had never seen any manuals from this company. I'm kind of a manual junkie so I picked them up.

Attached Files:

12. mlagusis

mlagusis

thank you very much! This is a huge help!

13. Those are the same diagrams that have already been posted.....

14. barnsearcher

barnsearcher
    from Ohio

Different.... but just another view. To me this teletouch one is easy to read.

15. mlagusis

mlagusis

Yes...the same ones that I found already before posting this thread but a copy that I can print and still read the text. All of the ones I found online were pour quality.

16. PTO

PTO
    from CA

Hey mlagusis
    If you need help with getting the teletouch system to work, feel free to message me. I'll be happy to answer any questions.

17. mlagusis

mlagusis

Thanks PTO! Will do.

18. PTO

PTO
    from CA

No worries

19. mlagusis

mlagusis

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1440767006.612681.jpg

Does any know where this wire connects too? One end bolts to the cross member under the engine on the passenger side near the starter. I can not remember where the other end goes and the tape came off that I put on it to know where it goes two years ago.

20. oldmanreo1924

oldmanreo1924

i would like to use this set up in my 58 ford i have access to all the parts needed but the trans i am using is an aod

21. oldmanreo1924

oldmanreo1924

i need help with this system,if at all possible could contact me at [email protected]

22. RmK57

RmK57

One word of advice. The shift motors do not like heat, so would wrap the exhaust with header wrap and build a heat shield to try and keep the motor a little cooler.
    Originally they came with a heat shield but we're often left off for reasons unknown.
    They are quite cool when they work, that's when they work.