Register now to get rid of these ads!

Red X Problem - Is my computer taking a dump?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bullet Nose, Feb 11, 2006.

1. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

Several weeks ago there were some posts about the HAMB having a lot of red X boxes. I was reluctant to change my computer as suggested so I just let it be. Then, all of a sudden they disappeared and everything was OK. Now I'm getting them again and wondered if anyone else was experiencing the same thing. It also seems to me that the HAMB is slower than before with my dial-up connection since they did the "upgrade".

Is is just my computer?

2. mugsy

mugsy
    from San Diego

Do you have Norton firewall? Seems most people were having the problem if they had Norton. I changed firewalls to fix problem. Someone posted a fix for Norton under questions & suggestions.

3. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

If you're running Norton, here's a link with several possible fixes:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=80609&&showall=1

4. SnoDawg

SnoDawg

Gawd I hope it doesnt take a dump. Just think of the mess it will leave on the desk...:D:D

Dawg

5. i'm with Bullet..exact same story....and its slower than molasses !
    it was all good till a couple of weeks ago...i've tried changing settings all that bs...and im running Zone Alarm not Norton...
    Ryan?? whats changed?:(

6. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

Rev,

Thanks for you feedback. Glad it's not just me. Before I screw around changing things on my Internet Security software, I'll wait to see if they go away again. I can't believe that Norton would make the HAMB run as slow as it is when all the other Internet sites I visit seem to be as fast as they always were.

7. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

It's the HAMB, not your firewall. Much slower since 6.0 - other vBulletin forums I use are still quick & appear to have same features as HAMB 6.0 (TM):D Not sure, could be sheer volume of users...nobody's as big as this place!

8. JohnnyB327

JohnnyB327

the red x in the box can be caused by someone deleting the picture they posted from their photobucket and sometimes it just happens for no reason at all. Whenever I come upon the red X, I right click it and scroll down to the very bottom where it says "Show Picture". Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, however it's a good rule of thumb to tell whether or not the picture has been deleted.

9. koolkemp

koolkemp

I cant even get into my pm's....the Only way I can get to them is on my user cp if it says I have one(or more) new pms,I can open that link to the individual pm...once I read it and leave the screen its gone to the abyss of all my other pms.....

Koolkemp

10. tysond

tysond

Same trouble here. I thought it was just me. Like the others said, it fixed itself, but has started to do it again, plus I don't run norton.

This it what I see.
    [​IMG]

11. woohoo..mine is cured!!:)
    my puter whiz kid came over last night and in formed me ...seeing that i'm running my PC thru a router..that i do not need such things as Zone Alarm or any of that...so we shut it off and BADABING everything's beauty.
    SO the point is that you may be over protected.
    and thats about all i know today...LOL