Register now to get rid of these ads!

Elrod Model A Coupe Thrash - Flathead V8 time

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Elrod, Feb 16, 2012.

1. knucklepower

knucklepower
    from .

good inspiration for me,thanks

2. CheaterCarl

CheaterCarl

MAN!!!! Great car, Great build, Just pure inspiration@!!! Thanks for sharing & thanks for the Instagram heads up!!
    This is sooo helpful!!
    Love,
    Cheatercarl

3. Elrod

Elrod

Thanks Bud! I appreciate it. Just been having fun with it lately... Did a 120 mile round trip up to a car show a couple weeks ago and out to dinner with my buddy Anderson last night...

Makes it hard to take apart again!

[​IMG]

4. Anderson

Anderson

Nice$
    Nice%
    Nice&!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. Take it apart again??¿¿ porquay? And when did you be one an oiler?? That's rad!

6. Elrod

Elrod

Thanks! I have to do some rust repair around the bottom of the body and think that paint is the next step on that car.

Oilers membership is pretty new. Been talking with those guys for a while now and was honored to be asked to be a part of such a great group with a very rich history in hotrodding!

I've actually been researching and have been in contact with a couple of original members from 1948 and will be helping to bring their stories to light in the next few months.

7. Awesome transformation and great workmanship. Congrats to you buddy.

8. 510madmav

510madmav

bitchin coupe dude.

9. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

10. Forddraggin

Forddraggin

Love that coupe!!!!!

11. Elrod

Elrod

Thanks guys!

12. Elrod

Elrod

Been a while since I did an update. I was getting some blow-by pretty serious from the coupe, so it was time to pull that old stocker 1940 lump out and freshen it up!
    [​IMG]

Started harvesting parts out of three flatheads to plan for a pretty stout build
    [​IMG]

About the time that I was discussing the rebuild of this 81A block with my builder, Greg in Alabama of the "Unknown Roadster" fame said he had a factory relieved 59L up for sale. It was already a big bore build, with Merc crank and a crazy cam. We struck a deal and Greg brought it out to Texas.

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71, draider and Muttley like this.
  13. Elrod

Elrod

Got a little side tracked while prepping for the Race of Gentlemen and turned my attention to building a race car from spare parts that I had laying around in 7 days, the week before the race.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 and Muttley like this.
  14. Elrod

Elrod

With the race over, it was time to focus on the coupe again...

The engine I had bought had the wrong cam in it if I was to use it with the McCulloch supercharger, so it had to be torn down.

[​IMG]

Called up Schneider racing cams, and even with a big back up in work, they rushed out a custom ground cam with a nice lift and lobe center designed with the Supercharger in mind. Top notch company!

[​IMG]

And.... switching cams from a later 8BA style to an earlier front mount style also requires changing the crank gear and timing gear. The teeth go the opposite directions to drive the earlier cam against the thrust surface. So out with the crank. This was becoming a full self imposed rebuild!
    [​IMG]

Swapping that crank gear is a pain in the arse! but finally got the new one on.
    [​IMG]

A little trick for putting the crank back into a rebuilt engine by yourself without removing the pistons. Use bungee cords!
    [​IMG]

15. Elrod

Elrod

With the new cam in, and earlier front cover now on, I used the handy dandy NOS Lee Cam Lobe Indicator to locate the heel of the cam to set the lash on the adjustable lifters. It's a great little tool and saved a ton of time!
    [​IMG]

Twist, Test, Repeat was the name of the game for the next few hours.
    [​IMG]

I purchased a set of polished Cyclone heads a few years back on the HAMB and now is a good time to put them to use!

[​IMG]

I've heard rumors that these castings are pretty thin though and polishing them can reveal holes. I found one in the bottom of my set and took it to a buddy's to get repaired.
    [​IMG]

While the engine was out, I also decided to fill some unnecessary holes in the firewall. I also filled in the notch for the stock steering column on the drivers side and flattened out the center of the firewall where the stock junction box usually mounts to make more room for the oil breather. Stripping off that white epoxy paint with a drill and a wire wheel took the entire afternoon.
    [​IMG]

kidcampbell71 and Muttley like this.
  16. Elrod

Elrod

Getting closer to being all buttoned up. I hope to fire this engine the first time in the next few days and then get it back in the car. Only 9 more days till the Round Up!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

kidcampbell71, draider and Muttley like this.
  17. Looking good!

18. nailheadroadster

nailheadroadster

Go go go! Lookin great!

19. dudley32

dudley32

lookin' good...I've always loved this car...thanks for all the help in the past...dudley

20. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

who sells the motor mount swap kit ? thanks .. steve

21. Praise the bump. This is awesome ! Man, you frekn' rule.

22. Elrod

Elrod

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  23. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

I like what you have done . how do I contact you ?............ steve

24. daddylama

daddylama

such a bitchin' coupe!..
    full fenders and a flatty, doesn't get much better.

25. Elrod

Elrod

Good Day for a drive

[​IMG]

26. Anything new with the coupe? I've found myself re-reading this thread probably a dozen times over the past year. Such a rad build!

27. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

elrod , followed you for years . always good stuff ! great car

28. Elrod

Elrod

Not much on updates with the Question Mark Coupe....

I got a 33 three window, that I'll be putting a 34 hood and grill on that will be getting a lot of my time this fall.

[​IMG]

I did pull the fenders on the coupe and brought it to The Race of Gentlemen and had the honor of running the original 1947 Oilers flag down the beach before the race started.

[​IMG]

Our founder, Bup from Carlsbad got to see the coupe. That was an honor!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was a great day!

[​IMG]

bengeltiger and kidcampbell71 like this.