Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Seat belts in hot rods, do you have em?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Jun 9, 2015.

1. I just received a call from the adjuster,the van is a total loss. HRP

2. Model T1

Model T1

Good luck HRP. And stop using that hand.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  3. I'm right handed and basically a one finger typist so no worry's my friend. :D HRP

4. Roothawg

Roothawg

I'm going to hijack this thread for moment to tell you a little about them. If you are offended, scroll on by.

Dan is one of a kind. He was a Daytona winner in the 60's and 70's. Here he is on Pappy Hoel's (the man who started the Sturgis Bike Week) Yamaha at Daytona in 1966 on the starting grid. They are a racing family.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Dan racing the vintage class a few years ago (above) and last year at Sturgis, SD
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    His wife Kathy racing on her Triumph Terrier 150 (skirt and all!).
    [​IMG]
    The Deubler family in the 70's

Dan just turned 84 and still trail rides. He has raced in vintage flat track events the last few years, recently with his son Eddie and grandson Scotty ( https://twitter.com/scottiedeubler ) who happens to announce most AMA Pro Races. Three generations on the track at once. I raced flat track in the 70's and 80's in Sioux Falls, SD on Bultaco Astro's and Dan was THE Bultaco and flat track guru. He helped me out in racing and we all would trail ride in the mountains of Colorado every July. Dan is STILL RIDING there, though but probably not this year (but you never know with Dan!) He used to lead us and when we crossed a mountain stream he would go first and wait on the other side, camera ready. Then he would usually direct us to the deepest spot (we thought he was helping us newbies) and then get great pics of us floundering! One time I remember riding in a thunderstorm in the mountains with lightning striking around us! Or riding on game trails on the side of very steep mountains. More than once I didn't think I'd survive the day riding with Dan! Like I said, he is one tough old bird!

There is a GoFundMe page to help them recover from this accident here: http://www.gofundme.com/DeublerStrong[/QUOTE]
    Very cool story.

5. good luck in your recovery HRP.

6. Thanks man,I appreciate it. HRP

7. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Danny, what did the orthopedist say about your wrist?

8. barryvanhook

barryvanhook
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Mesa, AZ

HRP, glad things weren't any worse ... Heal quickly.

Just went to SoCal the other day and got lap belts for the new-to-me 40 Tudor. The daughter won't let me take the grandsons without them. And the girlfriend just got a facelift and said she wasn't risking that investment without belts. So what's a fella to do except get in the garage on a 115 degree day and install them. I'm way to old for this stuff!,

9. 29moonshine

29moonshine

i put 3 pt belts in my delivery and suburban because my 6 yr old grand daughter will not let me drive the car until i am buckled up. [one ]it is the law. 2 she wants to keep me safe.

OahuEli and lothiandon1940 like this.
  10. simpsons finest five point in mine.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  11. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

I have. More than I want to count.
    But I wear them anyways.
    Godspeed
    MrC.

12. Gman0046

Gman0046

Danny, wishing you a speedy recovery. Good news is vans can be replaced. 32 Fords, not so much.

Gary

HOTRODPRIMER and lothiandon1940 like this.
  13. BONNEVILLE BOB 95

BONNEVILLE BOB 95

Glad you and Lady HRP are ok Danny. If y'all need anything, holler.

14. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

HRP - take advantage of some down time. not a good way to get some. take care. insurance will figure out the rest.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  15. jimcolwell

jimcolwell
    from Amarillo

Yes, on highway only. 1435890952054.jpg

16. Danny that explains why you haven't answered my PM. But it is no excuse at all.

Well at least it is no excuse to not get better. Mend well my friend, and pass the same onto the missus for me.

I may have mentioned this before and maybe I haven't, I didn't wear belts on a regular basis until the '80s when I was living in Mexico. I purchased a late model truck for driving in the bush and discovered that when I was belted in I wasn't nearly as tired when I arrived at my destination.

My wife has a permanent sholder injury that is called. wait for it, a seat belt injury. It makes it hard for her to help me when I am changing transmissions. We totaled a New Yorker in Kansas in a white out. The Dr said it is a common injury caused by a 3 point harness. She is alive for which I am grateful, but life hurts for which I am not grateful. I am not a big fan of a 3 point harness. Full harness or lap belts is my stand. If lap belts only I suggest wide belts, the narrow belts will also hurt you.

Anyway getting back to it, @HOTRODPRIMER bad new bears man, get better. Let me know if you need me to come down there and help with anything while you and the missus are mending. ;)

17. Let us know how you're doing Danny when you feel up to it. Hope the recovery is progressing well.......................................Don.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  18. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Great to hear you guys made it through the accident without too much damage. Get well!

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  19. 1951Merk

1951Merk

Got a 51 mercury. ... anyone use a three point belt ?....I have a little girl who I wanna take for rides

20. I think you need a 3 point for a kiddy seat don't you? The merc should have a pretty substantial B pillar and it should not be a problem to mount it. 4x4x1/8 to 1/4 plates under the floor and a stud in the pillar and you are golden. The plates don't need to be welded but tacked in makes it nicer.

21. I am lucky, been driving since 1964 and only had people hit me in the rear on three occasions while I was stopped at intersections. I have gotten so used to seat belts that I feel naked without one on. I plan on having them in all my vehicles. I have them in my 56 Chevy and have some not yet installed for my 32 coupe. Just the other day we had a 10 year old child killed here locally when,being the only one not strapped in, she was thrown across 4 lanes of a highway in a wreck. They make sense in today's traffic because a lot of people driving cars do not have the ability to drive properly.

HOTRODPRIMER and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  22. threewindaguy

threewindaguy

Rolled three cars so far (one was a demolition derby so it doesn't really count), had seat belts on as I always do. No damage to my body in any of them. I'm a believer.

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  23. Seems like the accident may have been a God send,I ended up in the hospital,with problems that were uncovered with all the labs,had I not been injured and sought out medical help would not have got attention for impending kidney failure.

I got out of the hospital yesterday.

I'm still hurting but on my way to recovery,BTW,they don't think I will need surgery on the wrist,it's just gonna take time to heal and keep wearing the brace. HRP

24. BONNEVILLE BOB 95

BONNEVILLE BOB 95

Glad you're ok Danny.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  25. 46mercury

46mercury
    from livonia MI

Haven't heard of any state that requires them if the vehicle was not originally equipped with them. I do have them in my '59 but just want to get the facts out there.

26. I just got a set of Wesco belts for my Ford. 3-point up front, lap belts in the rear. It seems that one manufacturer makes a lot of belts that go for a range of prices. Everything, belts, hardware and shipping came to $220.

27. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

not yet but planning to

28. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

My floor is 3/4in.plywood an belt bolts have 3in. washers,plus tabed to frame an center has bar strap between them underneth. Lap belts for 2 Dana\'sSeats.jpg

Last edited: Aug 4, 2015