Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Identify this Stewart Warner gauge

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nooch, Aug 3, 2015.

1. nooch

nooch

Hey, I bought this SW small logo gauge on eBay a little while ago and I'm struggling to find any info on it - my suspicion is its been custom made or something.

It's claims to be an electric water temp gauge and I'm looking for a sender that will work with it - has anyone seen one of these before?

There are no serial numbers, just 'Stewart Warner 425090 Made in U.S.A' written on the face, and 'Tank' written on the back. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1438648446.293327.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Not sure about age of the gauge but I put in SW temp sending unit on Ebay and 17 different units came up. I'm sure one of them would work. Try it. Gauge looks legit. Probably for a forklift or some other piece of industrial equipment is my guess.

3. nooch

nooch

I hadn't thought about it being industrial use - you might be onto something there.
    I guess I'm not sure which sender to go with on eBay because the descriptions make it seem like you have to match a particular gauge with a specific sender - not sure if that's the case.

4. stimpy

stimpy

had one like that on a old ( 1950-60's ) Hyster/Yale we had at the shop ( conti or herc . 4 banger ) . basically to find the sender make a ohm box ( variable pot ) and see what the ohm range is then you can pick the sender .

Atwater Mike likes this.

5. Check the resistance of the gauge and match it to the sending unit or it will not read correctly.

6. MORRISGAUGE

MORRISGAUGE

The 6 volt bimetallic thermal SW temp gauge ohm range has been obsolete for many many years. Does your gauge say 6v on the insulator or case behind the mount bracket?

7. Normally a gauge manufacturer uses one Ohm scale for all of there gauges, so any SW sender should work as long as the voltage is correct.

8. MORRISGAUGE

MORRISGAUGE

That is not necessarily true. An example would be this type of gauge made by Stewart Warner. Essentially, the 6 volt magnetic and early bimetallic thermal gauges ran off of an ohm range approximating 100-0. SW made some early 12 volt bimetallic thermals that ran off of 100-0 before they switched to the 240-33 range that continued on to the 12 volt magnetic gauges. Of course, when you get into British gauges, that is another story entirely.

9. I think it is a confused S/W gauge. It says tank on the back and it temp on the front. LOL

Studebaker used gauges like that in the '50s in the Lowey series cars.