Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Pre-war grand prix cars from America?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SledKicker, Jul 30, 2015.

1. SledKicker

SledKicker

I'm in love with 1920's-1930's european grand prix style cars, you know, long hood, open top, 1-seater, side pipe, motorcycle tires. Think Bugatti type 27, or Delage grand prix cars. Obviously, I can't afford one of them. I have been searching around the internet, but I can't find much mention of road racing, more specifically grand prix style racing, from America in that time. Was it going on at all? Did Ford or an independent team field a model A/T boattail car of some kind during that time? I'd guess they'd have to cut the car in half and section it into a one-seater.

If there's a way for me to get that driving experience, I'd like to look into it. Any info or input is appreciated. Any other makes/models I should look at that AREN'T over a hundred grand, let me know.

Some photos, some have navigator seats, some don't. I prefer not.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
  2. $um Fun

$um Fun
    from Nor Cal

In the 1920's or late teens Studebaker either won or got second in the Argentine Grand Prix. The car used to be on display at the Studebaker factory for ever and when the factory closed it was sold off and passed through different owners and the last I saw it was being sold at a RM auction about 18 years ago

3. SledKicker

SledKicker

I'd be interested in seeing a picture of that if you have one handy or can locate one.

4. $um Fun

$um Fun
    from Nor Cal

5. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

Lance Reventlow’s post war Formula 1 effort built some nice looking cars

[​IMG]

6. indyjps

indyjps

The Indianapolis 500 started in 1911, start there. You'll see all the cars, build styles, builders. There was an east coast race that predates the 500, run on sand course, can't remember the name.

7. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

8. The37Kid

The37Kid

There were quite a few GP cars that ran the INDY 500, a twin to the Delage posted above was one of them.Bob

9. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Chrysler took second at LeMans in 1928, using their largest stock engine in their smallest stock roadster. The leading Bentley was suffering from a frame breakdown at the finish, causing the radiator to become separated from the engine, and was barely moving on the last lap. Alas, the Chrysler could not make the pass in time.

http://www.allpar.com/racing/lemans-1928.html

A 1928 Chrysler has nowhere near the clean lines of a Delage, but the feat was pretty impressive.

[​IMG]

dos zetas likes this.
  10. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Google up -Vanderbilt Cup Races 1936-1937. About as close to a U.S. Grand Prix as there was in the pre-war era. Mostly a mix European G.P. cars and oval track America cars.

11. SledKicker

SledKicker

Thanks for the help fellas