Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Flames over clear coat

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by chappychapperton, Aug 2, 2015.

1. chappychapperton

chappychapperton

So my truck is almost finished other than a few details and after being at the super run car show in Red Deer, AB this weekend I really feel the need to set my truck apart a bit. I want to get some flames airbrushed on the fenders and hood, but I have a real nice new paint job...... wish I would have thought of this earlier. So can I get an artist to stencil, airbrush flames with some clear in it and be done? I realize there will be ridge but I was thinking a thin pinstripe along the edges would be a nice transition. I do not want to re-clear the whole truck that is for sure. Thanks

2. Cirilian

Cirilian

Best results would be to scuff the entire panels that will be flamed, shoot the flames and then clear over those panels, preferably with the same brand of clear that was used originally. That said, you'll probably want to limit the flames to the hood, fenders and doors to keep from having to respray the whole thing.

40fordtudor likes this.
  3. chappychapperton

chappychapperton

That would be the right way...... And the way I should do it. Thanks for the insight.

4. milo1303s

milo1303s

5. Roadsir

Roadsir

Do your really want flames or do you want more attention at shows?
    I like flames on the right car/truck, but having had several black cars I'd say resist the urge. The people that do appreciate all black are the ones that get it.

6. IMG_0648.JPG
    The style may be off topic, but they get your attention.
    Your choice of graphics is personal, I've had flames and liked them. Follow Cirilian's advice and enjoy.

40fordtudor likes this.
  7. PKap

PKap
    from Alberta

I was at the super run, and if your truck is the one I'm thinking of I thought it looked really nice as it was. The biggest problem with flames is finding the guy that gets it right. Maybe one in twenty flame jobs I've seen looks ok, and of those, maybe one looks great. So many have the wrong colour combo, or the wrong shape for the car. There are so many wrecked ones that I would leave yours clean and classy. If you want a little pop, a thin, subtle, hand done pin stripe can add a lot.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. indyjps

indyjps

I bought a finished drag car, black with flames. Car ran hard straight and fast. I grew to hate those flames. Ended up selling the car. Mostly due to time commitments keeping me from the track, partly due to the flames.

My advice is finish the truck and get a season on it, think it over

If you still want flames, prep and apply as discussed above, bury them in clear. Pearl only flames might look ok, black and blue, dark purple tipped.

9. LOL I got a flamed vehicle and as soon as I have time to pull it down for paint I am doing away with them so that I can disappear in a crowd. :D

Flames would maybe set it apart and you could certainly do them over the clear no problem they would be over the clear is all. o you could get it tastefully pin stripped and set yourself apart as well. Subtle is the name of the game.

10. chappychapperton

chappychapperton

Yes I was planning on a simple flame, of either grey or red, almost like a ghost flame. I am going to give it some time since it requires more work to do it right. Maybe just a little simple pinstripe would be nice. I am putting a painted black sheet of marine plywood for a bed in that will have a nice 5ft pinstripe design down the center, I will start there and see what happens next.

11. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

I was at a run Sunday- there was a beautiful black 54 truck which got a lot of attention due to
    the attention to detail, dual quad nailhead etc. Flames are a personal taste item, but if all you want
    is attention careful detailing, neat wiring etc will get you plenty of the right attention. Just my 2cents.

12. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

The more exotic or in your face a paint job is, the quicker you get tired of it.

13. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I refrained from painting flames on my F100.

I didn't want a 'Fire Truck'.

Black is beautiful. Black trucks matter.

14. chappychapperton

chappychapperton

Not looking for attention at all, just to set it apart from other pure black rides. The run really opened my eyes to how the little extras really do add a lot to the trucks. I do not want to throw on huge red and yellow flames, just some simple grey ghost flames, I think they look awesome. But like I said, going to wait it out and drive the pure black ride for a while. Thx

15. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Well done pinstripes, would also set it aside from others and not be LOUD attention.