Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Day of the Drags,Temple,Academy Texas

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flatheadjohn47, Jul 29, 2015.

1. hamb followers,don't forget Little River,Academy,Temple Texas Day of the Drags FRI July 31, Saturday Aug 1st. Drag races that were usually scheduled for Oct and Antique Drags are moving to Lafayette,Louisiana to try out a new venue.This is either the first or last antique drags at Academy.Be there or miss out and have to go to Louisiana in Oct for old timey drags!

2. 62nova

62nova

That sucks. I saw a for sale sign in front of the track last night coming home from the hospital.

3. saltracer

saltracer

I don't understand the Oct drags moving to Lafyette, La. I live there and there is no drag strip. From what I can gather the people who put on the Day of the Drags are putting on the Bayou Roundup in Lafyette in Oct. and that may have been why they switched dates on the Day of the Drags to July? just speculation on my part.

4. droplord49

droplord49
    from Bryan, Tx

I hope they decide to move it back to Oct. next year. I've been to all the Day Of The Drags since the first and today was by far the lowest attendance of old rides I've seen. The place was packed with spectators in late models, but very few old rides were racing and very few were in the shady area behind the east grand stands and that area is usually packed. I don't know if it was the heat or just that the word didn't get out enough that the date had been change or what.

loudbang likes this.

5. sponge

sponge
    from Austin tx

Gotta say the heat put most off. Yes the The Kontinentals car club puts on day of the drags and the round up. They are going to be putting on a round up in laffeyate in oct so I guess if they wanted to continue with the drags here we would have to suffer the extreme summer Texas heat.

6. El Jefe

El Jefe
    Alliance Member

Setting the record straight. We are expanding the Round Up brand and taking it to Lafayette Louisiana for THE BAYOU ROUND UP the weekend of Oct 16 and 17. This is a show very similar the Lonestar Round Up w/ a lot of Louisiana flavor thrown in. Go to www.bayouroundup.com for all the info on the show. Since we decided to do a second Round Up we had to spread it out from the the Lonestar Round Up and it takes us about 6 months to prepare and get ready to bring you these Round Ups. Its alot of work.. So trying to do a second Round Up during the year, we picked the fall and October due to weather in Lafayette to try to hedge our bets. Well we can't do the Day of the Drags and The Bayou Round Up all in the same month, and we love the Day of The Drags event so much we just decided to move it back a couple of months so we had time to do all three events. Granted it was hot out there this weekend at the track, but the racing was still first class and there were many very fast cars. We will look at the calendar now that we went thru this weekend and see if there is a better cooler time to run the Day if the Drags that doesn't interfere w/ our other Round Ups. We just can't do em all at the same time, due to the time it takes to prepare for these events.....we all have day jobs too. The good news is there will be another nostalgia drag race event in October at Little River and it is the "LEGENDS" Nostalgia Drags and they are Oct 9 and 10 this year, a week before The Bayou Round Up. Hopefully this cleared it up for everyone and eliminated some of the confusion. Hope to see you in Lafayette in October

loudbang likes this.
  7. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

Yes the car count did seem to be lower than normal and it was hot but I think the quality of cars was up.
    I personally welcomed the date change myself. Gets kind of boring around these parts from mid June til September.

mattheruthless likes this.
  8. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Yeah it was a little hot out, but plenty of folks still braved the heat and made for a great day of racing and hanging out w like minded folks. Hot or not I won't miss a DOTD !

Attached Files:

loudbang likes this.
  9. hillcogolfer

hillcogolfer

I think the heat might have been too much for some people, but that's just the way it goes. I had been planning to drive in Friday and make some time runs after it cooled down a bit that evening, but the weather predictions seemed pretty strong for thunderstorms so I decided to wait and drive early Saturday (150 mi one way). Did it end up raining on Friday to where they couldn't run? Anyway, I left out at 5 AM to drive there and had a breakdown an hour from home and never made it Saturday either. If votes are ever cast tho, I would definitely vote for a cooler time of year!

10. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

@hillcogolfer bummer about the breakdown had the same problem but on the way home last year. They did race friday like normal and all day saturday. I'll post a couple more pics here, hope the op doesn't mind.

11. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Couple more of the racers...

Attached Files:

12. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Few more phone pictures

Attached Files:

loudbang likes this.
  13. saltracer

saltracer

Is there a drag racing component in the works for the Bayou Roundup?

14. El Jefe

El Jefe
    Alliance Member

There is no drag racing component in the works for the Bayou Round Up at this time. We do have our buddy Harry Clack that owns a transmission shop in Lafayette and this guy has raced everything w/ an engine. Well Harry is opening up a new tranny shop and in that shop he has a state of the art dyno machine that you can actually test and tune on and simulate a 1/4 mile pass in your car while hooked up to the machine. We are trying to get it together to have an open house at his place on Thursday Oct 15 and folks will be able to use the dyno. This is as close we are getting to a drag component at least this year. The Chief of Police did tell us in a meeting we had w/ him last week that they did allow someone to land a airplane on Cajun Dome Blvd for another function that was going on a year or so ago, so I guess anything is possible. Stay tuned.

15. pecker head

pecker head

Is there a new thread for 2016???