Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Is the 1938 ford standard really the ugliest fat fender car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by crustz, Jul 12, 2015.

1. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

The Graham was pretty ugly but the 39'willys had a front clip only a mother could love! pic1146.jpg nat657.jpg

Model T1, volvobrynk and Cooon like this.
  2. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This coupe appears to be a '37 with '38 Standard front sheet metal. Whatever, it will be neat when almost finished................?

3. I think all cars before 1940 are cool, and none appear ugly to me, but Ryan's Coupe is the nicest example of a 38 I've ever seen.
    I do see ugly in most 40-48 Fords, but also know they can be made cool with the right touches.
    Guess we are lucky to have the hindsight of seeing what the early customizers did, and how they improved the ugly.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. Gene Boul

Gene Boul

Well I'm gonna get Shxt over this but...
    When I set out to get a fat fender-ed Ford I wanted throw back stuff, running boards, floor shifts, traditional gauges and the like. I had no interest in a 40 Ford for the following reasons:
    • Butt ugly headlights
    • Column shifter
    • "modern" dash
    It was one step from moms grocery getter, thats why I like 37, 38 and 39!
    Just sayin...

Model T1 and Finn Jensen like this.
  5. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I see what you mean by a good lookin Standard Tudor: 39tudor.jpg 39_stance.jpg
    I'm actually going to try a build thread. Wish me luck...

6. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I like some chubby girls, but only the sassy ones with big boobs and big lips...

FWIW, the '46-'48 Mercs definitely a hand going in the ugliest fat fender club. I have a '48 coupe and sometimes wonder what was in the punch bowl when they decided on THAT front end... :eek:

Model T1 likes this.
  7. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

I've NEVER heard anyone say a 40 Ford's headlights are "butt ugly"before,wow.
    Now if you want to discuss those conversion kits for the 37-38 headlights,those are way worse than butt ugly. They're fugly.

Model T1 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  8. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

When you compare 37-38 body's to 39-40 body. I feel the earlier models have a better smaller shape. The later models 39-40 are beautiful but have more of a bulky look. I love both 37 and 38. Don't give a shit about what the consensus is. Ryan's coupe is one of the best.

9. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

10. prpmmp

prpmmp

Yea!! I think 38 standards are kind of ugly! ( At least mine was,and I built it:eek:) Pet[​IMG]e [​IMG]

Model T1, scrap metal 48 and i.rant like this.
  11. flyin-t

flyin-t

Good looking tudor, but it's a deluxe.

I also have a '38 Standard that I've had in storage since the late 70's. Thought they were the ugliest cars on the planet but after 35+ years they're starting to grow on me.

Model T1 and scrap metal 48 like this.
  12. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the compliment but it is a standard, a 39 std tudor. I actually like it better than the 39 deluxe. I know the topic was about the 38 std line. I had a 38 std coupe for just a few weeks. It was growing on me too. A nice stance and some proper rolling stock? None of them are ugly.

13. Gman0046

Gman0046

To me the 41grill was always Fugly. The 38 Deluxe grill is not far behind. I also think the 40 Standard grill looks better then the Deluxe.

14. Welp, if it isn't the ugliest fat fendered car, it was the ugliest fat fendered ford IMHO. Some uglier fat fendered hudsons, nash's come to mind but the one that sticks in my mind as ugly is the 39 Chrysler royale. Man, the grille bars go every which way! Worse than mid 40s Lincolns and Merc grilles!
    PS...I had a black 39 shark-nose Graham exactly like the one shown in the photo above....LOVED that grille and headlights!

15. Wasn't a 38 Willys a really odd lookin front clip everyone put the later front end on? Anyone?

16. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I love the look of these Club Coupes. Passed on one a couple years ago and still kicking myself for not buying it.

17. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

It's funny, the more I look at this thread, the lesser I find them ugly!
    To me there is very few ugly cars, at least HAMB era cars.
    Even the Ford Jailbar trucks I find is ugly in a cute way, or cute in an ugly way.
    But I do like it.

The 38 grill actually looks long and sleek, and lends it self well to a custom car, and the Deluxe is more proper hot rod material. Just my 2 cents.

Model T1 likes this.
  18. frankieC

frankieC

19. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" 2015 Strokers party 081.JPG

20. Race City Rodz

Race City Rodz

That's a great looking '38!

21. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

wax on 001.JPG wax on 004.JPG Just joined the 38 standard club...

22. Someone said it earlier: It's all opinions - diff'rent strokes and all that. I think the '38 standards have a great face, but all that "makeup" needs to be scraped off. They look better without all the stainless.

23. Saying that any particular old Ford is ugly is like saying any particular puppy is ugly, or any baby for that matter. Some are just cuter than others.:D

24. prpmmp

prpmmp

That right there covers everything in this world!! Your are a Diplomat!! Pete

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  25. Model T1

Model T1

The old cars get prettier at closing time!

Baron and lothiandon1940 like this.
  26. Maybe our age has something to do with it. When I was in high school, if it wasn't a '32, '34, or '40 coupe, it was scrap metal. Now, after looking at Detroit's offerings since the '80's, most any old car is beautiful. I remember the first time I saw the "new" Dodge pickups with the Peterbilt nose. Thought they were the ugliest things I ever laid eyes on. The rest is history.

Model T1 likes this.
  27. Old Ford Coupe

Old Ford Coupe

28. I'd love to find a coupe to go with my wagon. I prefer the DeLuxe, but the rear end of either the Standard or DeLuxe '38 is so much nicer than the '39s.
    \'38 atWOW-2009.jpg

lothiandon1940 and Dan Hay like this.
  29. verde742

verde742

any car CAN be ugly till they get stance and wheeled and tired..

30. I'm partial to mine, enough so I want to build a pickup with a 38 dlx front end

Attached Files:

lothiandon1940 and tobyflh like this.