Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My '50 Buick special build

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by PraiseDLowrd, Jul 20, 2014.

1. Super cool, i like the idea of the slammed c10 service truck too.

Is it a way to advertise your business or just for fun?

-Chris

2. PraiseDLowrd

PraiseDLowrd
    from Texas

A little of both.. I'd like to use it as a daily for my extermination company

3. jkluge

jkluge

4. ausbuick

ausbuick

G'day
    Very CQQL thread mate, I just finished reading your thread, I've been off the HAMB for a while and found your build, loved it!!!
    I love the improvements your making to her. Gotta love those fastbacks!!!!!
    Im building a 49 sedanette and have stopped for a bit but I'm just about to get moving on it again. I am looking into the 700r4 Trans conversion, I would like to retain the rear end housing and brakes but swap the centre and fab up a new 3-4 link set up.
    But I have to research the differential centre if there is a swap that will suit.
    Cheers Darren

PraiseDLowrd likes this.
  5. PraiseDLowrd

PraiseDLowrd
    from Texas

Alright guys, the dynaflow has flowed its last. I'm getting ready to do a 700r4 and open drive line conversion. I've got a trans already and it's being checked out at a transmission shop right now. I do need to find a suitable rear end tho. The stock rear end is 61 3/4" wide from wheel mounting surface to surface. I'm thinking a 8.5" gm 10 bolt. I have a 8.8" rear end with 3:55 gears out of a 95 Ford Explorer but the differential is offset to the drivers side. It can be narrowed to center the diff but will only come out to 56.something inches. I have done some searching but I haven't had much luck finding what vehicles to look for that have the axle I need. The rear end should be approximately 60" wide and have 3:42 to 3:73 gears with disc or drum brakes. I'm going to fab up a triangulated 4 link so it doesn't matter what suspension the donor vehicle has. Any input would be appreciated!

6. godlemmy

godlemmy

Look at g-body rears they are 60 inches. 8.5 s are pricy though. Aerostar rears are 8.5s don't know the with.

PraiseDLowrd likes this.
  7. godlemmy

godlemmy

If you think a 7.5 rear will survive the g body ones are cheap. Ford 150s 81 and up have a 8.8 I think. 4x4s should have @ 3.50 . Quick performance will make you a housing anyway you want. Less $ than currie. My dad has one his malibu. All you need to do is get a boneyard nine inch from a truck or van for the backing plates and pig.thats what he did. He has less than 1100 in his.

8. Caddy-O

Caddy-O

9. chuckshomeservices

chuckshomeservices
    from mass

I used the rear end out of a 78 Malibu and it worked out great!

LONG and PraiseDLowrd like this.
  10. Pripps

Pripps

It's the small GM bolt pattern on that axle, right? So if using adapter spacers to get the big GM pattern, is the axle narrow enough to let you get the wheels off if you get a flat tire?
    I didn't think about that when i used an Olds custom cruiser -80 axle on my buick(8.75"). Almost 4 inches wider than the original one.
    So i have to lift the car really high to get the wheel off. Not easy on the road :-S. Gonna replace it with something else asap. :)

11. godlemmy

godlemmy

If the bolt pattern is 5x5 you can use a 9inch from truck and cut what you want and center the pig at the same time. Either order axles or if you can have them resplined. 4x4s with a manual transmission have either a 3.50 or 4.10 ratio

12. PraiseDLowrd

PraiseDLowrd
    from Texas

Thanks for the info. I just got back from the salvage yard and I found a couple rear ends out of later model ford rangers that might work. I found an 8.8 with 3:73's and disc brakes. The width is around 59" so I traded the explorer axle for it. They are gonna pull it from the truck on monday. I called a lot of yards around here and nobody had anything from a 70-86 g body or fbody. I'm on a pretty tight budget and have less than 2 months to get it done so I think I'm going to give the ranger axle a shot for now. I also found a couple Toyota axles that were the right width but didn't know the gear ratios.

13. Early 90's caprice should be real close to the width you and it's also the same 5x5 lug pattern and it's coil from factory..

14. PraiseDLowrd

PraiseDLowrd
    from Texas

I measured a few caprice and crown vic rear ends today. They were about 65", a little to wide. I will have to get some different rear wheels if the ranger axle works out but that's not too big a deal at $62 a pop.

15. anythinggm

anythinggm
    from Oregon

How about a 65 Riviera rear end, very beefy same width, and same bolt pattern. And I have one with all brackets shaved off and ready for 4-link. Also have the 2 piece drive shaft which would be great for such a low car. I also have a set of stock steel rims in the 5 on 5 for use with disc brakes.

16. PraiseDLowrd

PraiseDLowrd
    from Texas

If it was in Texas you'd have a fistful of dollars

17. PraiseDLowrd

PraiseDLowrd
    from Texas

Found a 10 bolt out of an 81 el Camino! It will be rebuilt with an Eaton posi dif and 3.73 gears.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

LONG, tomkelly88 and Pripps like this.
  18. Blase

Blase

How wide is the axle under that Buick?

19. PraiseDLowrd

PraiseDLowrd
    from Texas

To the outside of the drums is 61 3/4"

Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
  20. 48SuperConvert

48SuperConvert
    from Seattle

I used a 78 Lincoln and it is 62" and comes with disc brakes. It worked out well.
    By the way your car looks great....you have done an awesome job!!!

PraiseDLowrd likes this.
  21. I spy a lifted square body Chevy :D

22. PraiseDLowrd

PraiseDLowrd
    from Texas

Good eye!
    [​IMG]

Pripps likes this.
  23. Get your butt over to ck5.com if you haven't already. Ok no more derailment, back to the Buick build!

24. Hope to see you at round up

25. PraiseDLowrd

PraiseDLowrd
    from Texas

I'll check it out sometime man

I hope I can get this thing done by then!

I pulled the whole rear end out tonight and stuck the 10 bolt under there to get an idea of how it will fit. It fits well but looks like I'll have to cut up the floors to clear the driveshaft. I have all the parts ordered and should be here next week. I think the floors will be the most challenging part of all this.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Look what I found!! Got it for $200 from a cool old timer in Arizona

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ausbuick, Arabie777 and Pripps like this.
  26. 50buickgarymathern.jpg 50buickgarymathern.jpg Gary Mathern's 50 special in DesMoines in about '89-'90. He ran a straight 8 with factory 3 speed stick and un muffled dual straight pipes! Had a great sound. Reversed original wheels and used original hubcaps. It was cool enough to be a Rodder's Digest cover car.

FlatJan, LONG, Pripps and 1 other person like this.
  27. godlemmy

godlemmy

Are you going to use the suspension setup?

28. PraiseDLowrd

PraiseDLowrd
    from Texas

That's badass! I'm diggin the sidepipes.

No sir. I'm going to cut everything off the new axle for a triangulated 4 link. I'll probably cut out the original bracing and coil mounts on the frame and start from scratch.

Pripps likes this.
  29. Pripps

Pripps

Lifting the body off? I will not build another tri 4-link without lifting the body off. Thats for sure :D

30. PraiseDLowrd

PraiseDLowrd
    from Texas

I'm gonna try to do it without lifting the body off but we will see.