Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Top Insert Help!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Marshall Metal Shaping, Mar 30, 2015.

1. Hello Guys,

Once again I am looking to the members for help.
    Would anyone, especially the upholstery guys, know where to source the aluminum extrusion for the coping that guys used for years to finish a top insert or landau top?
    I know Juliano's sells a kit, but that's not the way I want to go.
    Here are some images of the track.
    I can source the vinyl coping, so no problem there.
    Any help greatly appreciated!
    I know it's a long shot, but maybe someone in the extrusion business???
    IMG_2127.jpg IMG_2126.jpg

2. The track looks a lot like the Juliano's part. Maybe they would sell it separately.

3. perrytudor32

perrytudor32
    from uk

baron le bonney,sells the correct stuff for roof inserts,ie,32, 34 ect.check there web site.

4. It is exactly the same, Julianos will not separate, and their kit will not do a 28 A properly....

5. brady1929

brady1929

Lebaronbonney.com

6. it was posted here one time, i think 72 ford trim?

7. Try your local trim supply. C.R. Lawarnce is one of the larger ones here.

8. Thanks, but not looking for the original materials...

9. Thanks Brady, but not looking for the original trim...

10. This is the look I'm after...
    IMG_2504.JPG

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  11. Rich B.

Rich B.
    Member Emeritus
    from Portage,IN

Wondering where you source your vinyl coping ? I've been
    looking for the plastic clips that snap over the coping to hide
    where two pieces join. Saw this at a rod run, but could not find the
    owner. I have had mixed luck with glues, epoxy, etc.
    Thank's, Rich

12. 41fastback

41fastback

I've looked for that Landau snap on trim and did not find any. It seems to be out of production.

13. Hey Rich,
    A wholesale supplier in the Toronto area carries only a coping that must be vinyl painted.
    I have never seen a joiner, do you know if the Juliano's kit uses one?
    I would just fab out of aluminum and paint it!

14. Hi Fastback
    Juliano's is still offering a kit using the coping and track, so it's in production somewhere!

15. Does anyone happen to have any Stayfast wire-on?
    I'm thinking out loud here, and it may work, so if someone could give me a height and width that would be great!
    I know some guys are asking , "why not just use the original tack strip?"
    I have the materials but just don't like the look....

16. I could go to the shop and measure some stayfast but from using so much of it over the years,consider it to be 3/4 inch wide and approx 3/16 in height..

17. My early Heavy Hauler has a variation of this on the panel seams - I wonder if the trailer supply places might have what you're after.

18. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

There is an awning manufacturer that makes the same thing, or something similar. Try Astrup first. Or your local Awning shop.

19. Thanks Custom, if you get a chance could you give me an accurate measurement, I want to set it in the track at the rear of the roof.

20. Any pics?.....Thanks!

21. Would you have a pic?...no luck at Astrup, but thanks.

22. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Call Julianos and tell them you screwed up and need extra aluminum trim. Or that you lost track of where you put it.

da34guy likes this.
  23. 36 coupe

36 coupe
    BANNED

Juliano's are complete fuckin idiots !
    I have one of their roof insert kits and have lost the capping on the trim strip. Due to me not having a receipt at present to show them or a photo to send them, they are refusing to SELL me a replacement - What the fuck ??
    I have bought several sets of seatbelts from them in the past also, but i can assure you i will never spend another cent with Juliano's.

24. i just went through this last week. i called them because i wanted to put a new trim cap on and they told me just to reuse the old one because they did not have any to spare. they only had enough for the kits they had.......seemed stupid to me. the upholsterer i used thought he could get some through his supplier, but i ended up using my old one [32 years old] and it worked fine.

25. kb cookout

kb cookout

HI; the trim is called "Color Key", The aluminum tack comes in 6 foot lengths and the plactic trim comes in different colors and a clear that is paintable

A trick to install it, is after you have you track set and length figured , added about 6" to the overall size of your trim, put it in a bucket of hot water to make it soft and install it, Do Not trim the ends yet, let it set for a few days and then come back and trim or miter the edge, and use super glue to join corners and edges

later kb

26. thanks, i set mine in the sun on the hood of a black jeep. the super glue would not work for me, it just pulled apart so i used weather strip adhesive.

27. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

MAC has the original style trim

28. do you have a link? or a source?