Register now to get rid of these ads!

Old UPS Chevy Panel Delivery Truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by IRON MAIDEN, Jun 2, 2012.

1. R A Wrench

R A Wrench
    from Denver, Co

In the early 80's while working in a motor pool I ran across an article on UPS. they would maintain the fleet very well & when miled up completly rebuild the trucks. they do get many miles out of them & I have never seen any in all of the parts yards i frequent.

2. thecatsurfer

thecatsurfer

Iron Maiden: Who owns this truck?---Thank you---Bret

3. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I heard when a truck wore out they took off the body, reconditioned it, and put it on a new chassis.

4. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Kool stuff. But what i really wanna know is....Whats the deal with that wild chopped UPS truck in your avatar?

5. customcory

customcory

My son is a manager at UPS in Hickory, N.C., I can't wait to show him this thread.

6. I still have one for sale. 100 inch wheel base and a buick nailhead and trans some assembly required batteries not included

Attached Files:

mgtstumpy, ak-coe and volvobrynk like this.
  7. Ohmthis

Ohmthis

Just about everything said is true. I work for ups at thier overnight hub in Louisville. They rebuild all the package cars many times before they take them off the road. Then they paint them white and use them for crew vans at various hubs. After they are worn out from that they destroy them. All the trucks are cleaned at least every other day. There is a crew that even washes the planes weekly. Apperence is very big here. The suppervisors can't have facial hair. They use to have to wear a suit and tie also. We have the chopped, lowered, and flames package car here too. It's pretty cool. They take it to events. I know it was at the street rod national here.

Model T1 likes this.
  8. TRIK3R

TRIK3R

They have a dedicated wrecking yard that dismantles them, crush the fiberglass, separate the steel from the aluminum, all the while an automotive supervisor takes pictures of the destroyed hulk with the number painted on the sides. They call it cradle to grave documentation. Also if a tractor has over a certain amount of miles it gets put on the ADA list, if there is over a certain $ amount it gets shipped overseas whole by a dedicated broker or they cut the frame rails in front of the springs and salvage the parts.
    Very strict on the whole disposal procedure.
    R.07 D.40 SLIC3311 Homestead Automotive Dept. Been here 5 years, boring as hell but it pays the rent and the bennys are awesome, mainly for the family, if it wasn't for them I'd be self employed.

upspirate and Model T1 like this.
  9. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

There's just something really cool about learning the ins and outs of an American icon.

-Brad

Model T1 likes this.
  10. Bruuuce

Bruuuce

Dont post much. Retired from UPS last december after 28 years. UPS has been in business since 1907 , they started in Seattle. As mentioned in other posts all the old "package cars" are crushed , they even go to the extreme of peeling all the logos off them and white washing the cars before crushing them . This protects their corporate image. In the mid 80s I was still driving a car from 1957. We drove em til they were dust.

upspirate, Model T1 and volvobrynk like this.
  11. cjo13

cjo13
    from SD

Those bullet tail lights are correct. I have a set on my '54 Chevy panel, but mine was used by a Star Route USPS mail contractor in South Dakota.

CJO13

12. Big T

Big T
    from Florida

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  13. that panel could be a 54 or 55 1st series. I used to buy the engines out of the old ups trucks when they were running chevy 6's. bought and resold the tire and wheels to a few guys to fund my engine purchases. UPS is pretty anal about removing logos and making sure the trucks are crushed

14. paleot

paleot
    from louisiana

Buddy of mine bought lots of ups scrap aluminum plate for a project of his I dont know who he bougt it from!
    Tony

15. ukulaleman

ukulaleman

Well I have something very interesting for you all. The UPS Company is wrong saying there is no vintage UPS Vans on the road and that all got scrapped and crushed. She should of thought back to either 1985 or 1986 when my dad got legally from a local junk yard a 1965 Chevy UPS Van all original with the aluminum shelves, all complete and road running ready. The UPS logos were as it loks ground off or something. My dad wouldn't give the vehicle up for noone. The UPS Company told my dad he cannot have it the same color and they would paint it for my fad in any color he wanted except the UPS color. My dad said no or you can buy me anew Winnebego. The UPS Company just let it go and let my dad own it and drive it. It is now sitting out back of the farm. Legally my dad is the only person in the world to own and drive a vintage UPS Van. It is a extremely rare vehicle with a 250 6 cyl. Engine.

Model T1, 3onthetree3 and volvobrynk like this.
  16. dang, thats cool indeed.

17. when they crashed my OT van with their big truck, and then their attorneys called and denied everything, they said the color smeared on the side of my van was called "Pullman Brown" and that it was a common color and no proof they did it....bunch of crooks....

Model T1 and volvobrynk like this.
  18. 3onthetree3

3onthetree3
    from Saugerties

I have one. 1951 Hahn body with a Ford Chassis. Still factory brown, and super complete. Titled and even have the old registration from UPS in 1973. Numbers all match on UPS regi and title I have with the plate in the van.

[​IMG]

mgtstumpy, ak-coe, 54reno and 2 others like this.
  19. dentisaurus

dentisaurus
    from Boston

It is a very common colour, there are 109000 trucks wearing it according the interview with UPS posted earlier!

volvobrynk likes this.
  20. Model T1

Model T1

I can't believe how interesting it was to read about a common delivery company! Thanks.

This may or may not be true and no one else mentioned it. UPS drivers only make right turns when possible.

upspirate likes this.
  21. Tn. Trash

Tn. Trash

I`ve heard about that before, the routes are mapped out for right turns only as much as possible. Seems like it was for fuel economy, they said left turns added more miles to the route.

upspirate, Model T1 and volvobrynk like this.
  22. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

left turns also increase the chances of having an accident............they are BIG on safety.

Ray

Atwater Mike and Model T1 like this.
  23. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Funny thing, over here the most dreaded turn over here in a truck/heavy rig is a right turn in town! Bicycles do al kinds of stupid nasty shit, that gets them under a truck, because the can't understand, if they can't see the driver, we can't see them!

And for cars it's doing a left turn, where there is now light signals, but that's an stress/fuel issue.

But there is some nice trucks and story's in this thread.

Model T1 likes this.
  24. Tn. Trash

Tn. Trash

I think the left turn issue withUPS had to do with sitting at signal lights.

25. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

That may very well be a significant factor.....it would consume more time. But left turns do require dealing with traffic moving in two directions instead of only one.....time and increased risk.

Ray

upspirate and Model T1 like this.
  26. Tn. Trash

Tn. Trash

Very true, I`ve seen more than a couple accidents involving left turns.
    One of the worst accidents I was in personaly was when a woman made a left turn in front 0f me, I didn`t even have time to hit my brakes.

27. ukulaleman

ukulaleman

Anyone on here thinking about putting your ups van on the road better think twice unless someday you want the ups company to know it is on the road and demand it be taken off the road. Also for the guy who's ups van has the ups logos and ups color on it should remove then. I know for a 100% that the ups company will not be happy with you. You will be causing trouble and good chance you will no longer own your van. I know what i am talking about and just read my post about it and then you will understand. I don't want anyone to get in trouble.

28. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

..just for that idiot comment I'm getting a panel van of some sort painting it brown and painting POOPS on the side.

29. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hahaaa, a good one...
    I' ve received a couple of parcels from them that looked more like as if they had been shipped by 'Oooops'...

30. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One of my brothers first real job as a mechanic was working for UPS. He made very good money. But they were and probably still are very strict on the time limits for repairs. Each repair had a time limit. And if you didn't get it done in that time you finished it during your lunch or stayed late. He than went to work as a flat-rate mechanic at a Chevy dealer...it was a slower pace.