Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Fort 302 manual transmission ideas

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scott49mercury, Jul 29, 2015.

1. I just picked up a nasty crate 302, I have a t-18 4 speed but was wondering if I should go with something different, I'm putting this in a 46 ford truck with a 9 inch out of a 69 ford truck. I was planing on making just a nice driver out of it but now with this motor I'm making a sleeper and want suggestions

2. NewGuyOldFord

NewGuyOldFord

Can't go wrong with a t5 or a tremec.

3. The only thing with the tremec and t-5 is the shifter is way back in the tail shaft an I want a bench seat not buckets is there a way around this

4. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

M5R2 out of a mid 90's F-150. Excellent gear ratios and the shifter location will be very close to stock in the '46. ZF 5 spd out of an 90 something F-250 if you are worried about breaking the M5R2, but I wouldn't worry about that unless the 302 is huffed, puffed, and on juice. (Then you will split the block anyways so it is a mute point....) Downside: The M5R2 is a large transmission and requires a hydraulic throughout bearing. I have one behind the 351W in my '51 and absolutely love it.

Good Luck.

5. deucemac

deucemac

You might look for an overdrive transmission from a '75-'77 AMC Pacer, Hornet, or Gremlin. The trans is a Ford full syncro three speed with a Laycock electric overdrive (now Gearvendors). Replace thte top plate and side shift limkage with a Jeep T150 top shifter and getthe best of all worlds. The three speed is as tough as nails and the overdrive is a 68%. Been running this set up in my avatar roadster for 6 years without problems. The trans is hard to find but all repair parts are available except the adapter from the trans to o/d. I run a lighted switch on the dash to shift into overdrive. Dependable as Lassie!

6. 4thhorseman

4thhorseman
    from SW Desert

Toploader and never look back.

falcongeorge likes this.
  7. Good suggestions I'll just start looking and see what I can find just want it to all work together

8. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I thought the shifter could be moved up [forward] on tremacs'?

9. If that would work it would be the best I really want a 5 speed I'll start looking

10. ojai/jan

ojai/jan
    from ojai, CA

I use a Tremec 600 behind a 392 hemi in my 1952 Plymouth Suburban with a bench seat and it works fine. I seem to recall that there are 9 or 10 different positions available for the transmission.

Jan in Ojai, CA

11. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

Buy a fancy TKO 600 ^^^^
    If you are lucky you might get one with an optional overdrive [disguised as a 5th gear]

seriously though , buy one and be done with it . You have future proofed your car for more engine mods.
    They have several different lever options

12. Is there anything wrong with a 2 wheel drive t-18 ford 4 speed I have one laying around with a 302 bell housing but with a built motor is it ok I've looked at the tremec and there out of my budget and may use what I have to save money