Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects WOW an Update (#2) My '37 Chev truck build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by K13, Sep 26, 2011.

1. cptn60

cptn60
    from Joke City

Pretty dang kool. I'm sure this monitor doesn't do it justice, but that color is incredible.

gwhite likes this.
  2. I'm still watching too. Nice fab work on the boards. Cool deal regarding the paint!

3. That's some street cred!

4. It has been a while (again:oops:) Have been working on body work and have everything sanded to 300 but it is getting way too cold here so I am going to have to wait unti spring to finish and spray paint so in the meantime I have been working at getting the chassis finished up, painted and put back together so here are a few pics of where it stands now.

IMAG0147.jpg

IMAG0148.jpg

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  5. Updates?

This build brings a tear to my eye...you and I are about the same age and dad had a '37 and '39 Chevy pickup that we tinkered with in our (his) spare time. At the age of 7 or 8, I helped him select the paint...two-tone metallic green, the lighter color not too much different from your sample.

Dad sold the cars to pay for our college before they were finished, so I'm re-living memories vicariously through this thread. Keep up the good work!

Gary

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  6. Thanks Gary!

No updates. :(Winter hit hard here this week. -15F with wind so I had to get my garage rearranged to fit a Dakota I keep on the street in the summer back in the garage for the winter. It will definitely slow progress as it will be a more involved project getting everything pulled out every time I want to work on it again,

Your reply really hit home with me. My Dad was a British car guy MG's and Land Rovers. I remember helping him work on his truck when I was the same age. When I got into hotrods and customs I wasn't sure he would be that into it as he was more a restoration kind of guy but he jumped right in. It was hard when he passed. I don't think I went in the garage for 6 months afterwords but I am lucky that I still have his truck (a '62 Land Rover 109 pickup) and all the work he did on mine. I hope when my son gets old enough the Land Rover can be a project we can work on together.

chryslerfan55 and gwhite like this.
  7. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Hi K

Your very cool truck would have been the perfect tow car for my Gasser 50 yrs ago when I was running it here in so-cal

With all the custom shops back in the day there were some cool trucks for tow cars, around here at the drags and sprint car races

Looking forward to seeing it with the color on, great job you are doing with all the trick metal work

G Don

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  8. the metalsurgeon

the metalsurgeon
    from Denver

love the front nose on this truck

K13 likes this.
  9. SicSpeed

SicSpeed
    from Idaho

Just caught your build tread. Nice truck. Its coming together real nice. The rear bumper really helped set off the back and the Stude caps looks perfect. I like the grille you built and the hood looks great.
    I'm in the middle of a mild custom F100 and I don't like the stock running boards at all. Yours are looking real nice.
    I was up in Edmonton 2 years ago for a couple weeks during the end of Nov., you Canadians haul ass in the snow.
    I inherited the "gears in the brain-oil in the veins" from my dad as well. He also was a sports car guy but loved his American cars as well. My dad passed in 08 and I think about him every day with a smile, even when I still hear him chewing me out. Thanks Dad.

chryslerfan55 and K13 like this.
  10. Thanks guys I really appreciate the comments. I am slowly plugging away on the chassis but not really much to show in pictures at the moment.

11. Very nice work on the 37 Truck buddy Isn't it great building these things i just love it. Well it's out the the garage and back on the Willys sedan!!!

12. Bertolasi

Bertolasi

Really nice project and you have done things that most would only dream about. Have you had any time to continue the work recently? Would like to see some updates if possible. Bob

13. Must be some showable progress by now???

14. Here is my progress. :(

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55 and gwhite like this.
  15. Smart man. Happy wife = happy life.

Stogy likes this.
  16. Bertolasi

Bertolasi

Nice work! Isn't it great that some skills can be applied universally. bob

nunattax likes this.
  17. Blade58

Blade58
    from apopka ,Fl

18. Thanks guys. Well the kitchen is done and I am back working on my truck! I am doing the final sand of the body work and getting stuff like the drive shaft and emergency brakes sorted out so not much to show but it is progress. Hopefully I will have some pictures soon.

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  19. brad2v

brad2v

Good to hear. The kitchen looks great! Nice work. I'm in the same boat, the heap in my avatar is finally getting some attention again after completing a bathroom reno.

20. Well it's been a while but I have been doing a little bit of work on my truck. I did get a drive shaft built and sorted out the emergency brakes and installed a heater. Nothing too exciting picture wise on that front. I have also gotten back on my upholstery. I was having all sorts of issues with my sewing machine but with the help of some really good guys in the upholstery social group I got it sorted out. and got back to work.

I started off trying to figure out the carpets so I patterned everything up.
    IMG_20151230_112341.jpg
    Then cut out the carpet:

IMG_20151230_123510.jpg

Then bound it:
    IMAG0531.jpg
    IMAG0532.jpg

chryslerfan55, Blue One and cactus1 like this.
  21. The I continued with getting the kick panels together:

IMG_20151228_133247.jpg

And started working on the firewall panels. I decided to go with diamonds for those the first picture is upside down:
    IMAG0535 (1).jpg
    IMAG0547 (1).jpg

And that is where I am at now. Still have to do the engine recess on the fire wall and then figure out how I am going to tie the three panels together.

22. The interior is really consistent with the vibe of the build.
    Good to see an update on it!

cactus1 likes this.
  23. Thanks Kelly!

Well got a little more done. Did the centre section and then figured out how to transition between the various sections. Got the drives side attached. Pic a little blurry as I was trying to take it quickly before the panel fell down. :)

IMAG0551.jpg IMAG0554.jpg IMAG0555.jpg

Overall I am pretty happy with how it is turning out considering I don't really have any idea what I am doing. The carpet is not in place in this picture I just had it there to make sure I had the panels low enough so there wasn't a big gap between the carpet and the firewall.

24. brad2v

brad2v

Looks REALLY good. Nice job

25. Well masking taped, wedged and about ready to fall off at this point but a rough idea of what it will look like.

IMAG0558.jpg

6inarow, chryslerfan55, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  26. cometman98006

cometman98006

Going to be a great truck. The color you are looking at is awfully close to mine. See avatar.

27. Well finally got a couple of days where it was not either pouring rain or too hot to paint and got some sealer on the truck. Colour is hopefully to follow but the weather is about to turn ugly again tomorrow so it may not happen. I sure hope I can get it done as the process of getting my garage ready to paint takes about three times as long as the actual painting does. :(

IMG_20160826_143444.jpg IMG_20160826_154204.jpg IMG_20160826_162008.jpg

chryslerfan55, Stogy, cactus1 and 2 others like this.
  28. Yeah, this god damned weather!!!
    Wait, the sun is shining now, going to drive my '33!!!

Good to see progress man!