Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Dean Lowe and his '29 Roadster PU

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, May 5, 2009.

1. Nobey

Nobey

All I can say is it needs to come home again Dean. I still have that Hot Rod magazine with you on the cover, and can remember the day it arrived like it was yesterday.
    My Dad, Brother and I were awe struck. Your little truck sure kicked us into neutral.
    Great story.

Rich....

2. It will Rich, it will. Possibly next summer, if the plans work out.

3. K.L

K.L

I love reading this story over and over again!

4. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

I know that this quote was about a yr. & 1/2 ago, did it ever come back across the pond?
    I've always dug that RPU. It's an amazing build, coincidentally Don Nicholson's nephew Richard was my wood shop teacher @ San Gabriel High School.
    We'd always swapped and continue to swap stories about his Uncle Don.
    This is just another he'd love to hear.

5. Kevin,

The car is running, and driving and racing. It has not come across the pond yet. Steve is saving the funds to strip the 52 year old Junior Conway lacquer, and repaint the car. It will come, it will come......

6. Love that truck!

7. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Dean,
    Tell the Bruce Geisler story of how he wanted it and then sold it, My buddy Oscar sold his 29 roadster-"Old Yeller" thru Bruce and it was stripped of its racing parts (by whom IDK?), resold and rebuilt as a flatty powered street roadster in Portland OR. using the rectangular tubing chassis that his brother in law-Bill Burke and Oz built to run the salt.
    We did kinda what you did, we built Oz a 29 on 32 rails 30 yrs. ago so he could now have fun on the street instead of the salt or the dry lakes. he gets more use out of that way.

Dean Lowe likes this.
  8. redoxide

redoxide

Last edited: Dec 16, 2021
  9. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This thread should be required reading whenever someone moans about a SBC in a hotrod..

Amazing it was running mid 11s back then which is still kind of fast 50 years later.

10. redoxide

redoxide

For info, Steve Hills Ex Dean Lowe roadster pick up speed at Pendine 2021, 121.96 mph not to shoddy for an old school hot rod on sand.

Dean Lowe likes this.
  11. theman440

theman440
    from Las Vegas

12. I, too, still have that "Hot Rod" issue. I initially got it to read about the Corvette, but flipped my lid when I saw that red RPU. It's still my favorite cover car pic! Dean is the real deal. He has talked the talk and walked the walk and now you've gotten the story straight from the horse's mouth. It doesn't get any better than that. Thanks Dean and Ryan for putting that flashback together for all to hear and enjoy.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2021
    Dean Lowe likes this.
  13. Just an FYI, that is the fastest time recorded since the VHRA started running at Pendine. Old Red is still setting records!

Last edited: Dec 19, 2021