Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Boring 303 Olds

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by deeppurple52, Jul 29, 2015.

1. I am considering boring my 303 0.125 and using 324 pistons. Since the 324 uses balancer and the 303 does not, is there anything special that should be done for balance?
    I will use the stock flywheel and Caddy LaSalle tranny.

2. GOATROPER02

GOATROPER02
    from OHIO

Not the wisest to do.......at .125 over theres nothing left for wall thickness.......most will sonic check at around .165-.175 afterwards

As far as balancer....only the 1950 used the solid pulley........any neutral balanced 303/324 balancer can be used.....youll need to shorten the timing pointer on a 50 cover

3. Fogger

Fogger

I'd do a minimum cleanup bore, .030 to .060, and get a set of 324 heads. The later heads are a great improvement. Put in a Engle Hot Rod cam and a four barrel and you should have a great running Olds.

4. But no one really answered the question take your rotating assembly complete with flywheel and front pulley to a good machine shop and get it balanced, they will probably have to add Mallory metal to get it to balance out because you are throwing way heavier pistons at it but that is what you need to do.

or you could be a little more sane and just bore it enough to clean it up. then build your HP and torque with cam and head choice. Again I would still get it balanced and the money you save on not hawging the block so far you can spend in having it align bored or honed.

303racer likes this.

5. agree. That is now my plan. On way to machine shop to have block checked out. Looks very good.