Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 31 Pickup Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by fastmike, Nov 10, 2013.

1. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I just measured the F1 rod for my clutch pedal and its 7/16 diameter. I was going to suggest before I checked that you use this minimum diameter for stability on yours. Of course there is a clevis at one end and this may be stronger than if it was straight rod. Try keeping the bending to a minimum in your fabrication. Good luck.

"I need my mirror boy"

2. fastmike

fastmike
    from Mesa AZ

Ok awesome that really helps! I was planning on using a clevis but I didn't know what size rod to use.
    Thanks again man.

3. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

What's new up there in Chicago pickup hot rodding Mike?

"I need my mirror boy"

4. fastmike

fastmike
    from Mesa AZ

I've actually been getting some stuff done! Got my steering done and started working on my clutch setup but didn't get a picture of that yet. It's all working really well though. Thanks for asking!

Attached Files:

wedjim and Runnin shine like this.
  5. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Steering box looks good buddy.

6. AHotRod

AHotRod

The truck is really looking cool ! Well done.

7. fastmike

fastmike
    from Mesa AZ

Thanks guys! Here's how I did my clutch. Not the nicest setup but it should work. Now I just need to get a fork that works. Also got my drag link in just have to shorten it.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

392modela likes this.
  8. fastmike

fastmike
    from Mesa AZ

I was looking at my firewall today and I really didn't like how the engine sat back so far into it so I think I'm going to flip my firewall. What do you guys think? I also started my cowl patch panels.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

'37-4D likes this.
  9. Grudge

Grudge

Looks like you already flipped it (?)

If you don't channel it you can flip it and still have good legroom. If I could do it over I wouldn't flip mine, it's a tight squeeze.

Aaron

10. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Please don't Mike if you 're not running hoods. Model A firewalls are pretty the way Henry intended,and the opposite, the opposite. IMO.

"I need my mirror boy"

11. fastmike

fastmike
    from Mesa AZ

Its just sitting in there like that since I had to take it out anyway. I'm definitely not channeling it and I sat inside of it and it isn't too bad.

I know I really love them the stock way but I can't stand how far back the engine sits in the fire wall. I'm doing a lot of research right now before I commit.

12. fastmike

fastmike
    from Mesa AZ

Haven't really posted here in a while but I've been working on the truck here and there! I got my frame done and primed a little while ago. So now I'm going to be working on the cab. Built a platform for it to sit on nice and square and level. Does anyone have door measurements for a 30-31 cab?

1426952065168.jpg 1426952048007.jpg

wedjim likes this.
  13. bct

bct

Looking good. Looking forward to an update

14. I will have a 30 pu here in about a week. what do you need?

15. Roger53

Roger53

It's going to e a great little pickup when your all done. Roger

16. Bajita

Bajita
    from Laredo

Awesome build Mike . It's been a while since your last post. Already looking pretty nice. I am also building a 31 ford pickup, but with a small block chevy engine. Will be a fenderless truck for now but will get the fenders later.
    What are you doing for the wood structure on the roof and body? The wood in the body makes it easier to adjust and align your doors. Keep up the good job. Bajita 31.

17. fastmike

fastmike
    from Mesa AZ

That sounds cool man! Do you have any pictures of it? I'm just running the stock wood. I was thinking I should buy that soon. You think I should buy it and install it now before all the metal work?

Sorry I've been off here for a little guys. I took a little time off this to build myself a little sportster chopper. I started on the truck again last week, doing the metal work finally. I got my cab corners all fit and I'm just waiting on my lower cab patch panel to come. Hopefully after that I can figure out my firewall situation.

Runnin shine likes this.
  18. I have a 30-31 pu in the back yard. PM me with what you need. or post here.
    The body and fenders come off his weekend.

19. fastmike

fastmike
    from Mesa AZ

Been working on the truck a few times a week now and I've gotten a little done! Floor is almost done. Back of the cab and cab corners are almost done too. I think my next move is to buy the wood for the roof and get that in to square up all my door gaps. Then I need to figure out my firewall. Does anyone know where I can find the feet on the bottom of the firewall that mount to the frame?

Let me know what you think!
    1438138263818.jpg
    1438138286206.jpg

'37-4D and wedjim like this.
  20. Looks good. Did you build the floor pans yourself?

-Chris

21. fastmike

fastmike
    from Mesa AZ

I made parts of the subrails but not the rest of it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

22. Ahotrod.nz

Ahotrod.nz

Love this truck build of yours. I have probably missed it somewhere previously in the thread, but what is the steering box you are using and do you know how many turns it has lock to lock. keep up the good work.

23. fastmike

fastmike
    from Mesa AZ

Thanks man! I'm using an f1 box but I can't remember how many turns it is. I wanna say some where between 5 and 6?

24. DdoubleD

DdoubleD
    from Michigan

Hi fastmike, I love the truck looks sweet. I just have a comment, just incase it hasn't been mentioned. You really need to have the cab bolted to the frame so that you can adjust the door gaps. The doors are set by shimming the cowl to pitch the "A" post for/aft. I just mention it because if you too weld happy it's possible to get thing stuck. Bolt the cab down, fit the doors so everything lines up replace the wood so the roof is tight then do your chop. Just my $.02

Attached Files:

25. 31pickemup

31pickemup

looking great! keep it up!

26. fastmike

fastmike
    from Mesa AZ

So I did what everyone suggested and bolted my cab down to my frame and installed the wood in the roof. Now I need to shim the cab to make the doors fit and find a seat. Hopefully I can chop it in the next couple months!

Attached Files:

wedjim likes this.
  27. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

It's gonna be awesome Mike.

28. fastmike

fastmike
    from Mesa AZ

Thanks man! Really trying to get it drive-able next year!

29. I would like to meet up and take a look at your truck, when it gets on the road.

30. fastmike

fastmike
    from Mesa AZ

Better pics to come hopefully haha

Attached Files: